autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 04-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #1

How long to wait for first wax on a new car?

Hi all -

At some point in time I have heard to wait a month before waxing a new car for fear of the paint not being fully cured. Is this true? Should I try to find out the manufacture month by the door sticker or some other way?

I am getting my new Prius on April 16th and my question is how long before I do the following (this is my plan for the exterior)

1. Wash vehicle with Dawn detergent
2. Clay vehicle with Sonus extra fine clay and Sonus Glyde Lubricant
3. Wash with Pinnacle Bodyworks Shampoo in the foam gun with a little DP extra foam shampoo added for a kick.
4. 3 coats of Zaino Z-2 with Zaino Z-6 applied between coats of Z-2
5. One coat of Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale
6. Apply Souveran paste carnuba last, probably 3 coats.
7. Use the Diamonite spray clay on all glass, followed by the diamonite sealant for the glass.
8. Plexus plastic cleaner for headlight/taillight lenses followed with 303 protectant for plastic.

Z-2 is a PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 is an Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-8 is a Grand Finale Spray Seal

I bought all of the Zaino stuff before I learned of autogeek.com
I hope it works as well as the synthetics by Klasse, which is what I would have bought if I hadn't ordered the Zaino.

I live extremely close to the Gulf of Mexico so protection and looks are equally important. Have I left anything out above as far as protecting the car's exterior. The Prius is black and we live in the hot Florida sun and the salt air is very bad here. Supposedly the vehicle comes with and underbody sealant, but who knows. Is there something I can spray on the underside for protection?
Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by priusfan808; 04-06-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #2

Re: How long to wait for first wax on a new car?

If you are getting a new car you dont have to wait to apply any wax/sealant. Factory paint is baked on and thus cured at the factory. For the underside if it comes undercoated from the factory that should be good enough but if it does not I would highly recommend not doing it yourself. You dont want to trap moisture between the metal and coating.

A great system that stops rust and protects against it is POR 15.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #3

as far as i know the coating on the underside of cars is not for any rust protection. it is a caoting to stop road noise.

as for the wax goes. wax it when you get home if you want. the dealerships i have worked at when we cleaned a new car for customer we applied wax to it.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Definitely get your car protected. Do not wait.

the program that you outlined will give you a great start at protecting your new vehicle.

Yes Zaino will do an excellent job of protecting so will the Klasse line of products.

I personally would not top Zaino with a carnuaba wax but if you are of a mind to go ahead. Either way you will have a nice looking vehicle when you complete the detail.

Do What You Say....Say What You Do!
www.ldkbox.com a blog about life's details
Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #5

new cars can be detailed immediately, bodywork done after an accident or repair should not see heavy solvents or cleaners for 30-45 days.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #6

First thing I would do is tell the dealership NOT to "detail it". Second thing I would do is leave the dish detergent for washing dishes. Use the car soap both times. Zaino can give you the protection you need, you may want to wait before adding anything on top of it. You may like the way Zaino looks on it's own. If you do add souveran all you need is 2 coats, adding more then 2 does nothing but waste product.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
as far as i know the coating on the underside of cars is not for any rust protection. it is a caoting to stop road noise.

as for the wax goes. wax it when you get home if you want. the dealerships i have worked at when we cleaned a new car for customer we applied wax to it.
The factory undercoating serves a dual purpose. One is a corrosion barrier and the other is for sound deadening like you said. If you notice inside the car there is also sound deadening material under the carpets too that act as dual sound deadening and insulation.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

Thanks for the numerous replies!

Is the general consensus that the Souveran on top of the Zaino is just overkill or is there a problem the Zaino's ability to cross-link with the carnuba?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #9

No, most just prefer the way Zaino looks on it's own. As long as Zaino has at least 12-24 hours to properly cure (per application; unless you use there additive to speed up the process) your fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #10

OK, thanks.