autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need Opinions: Used Car Value w/Full Detail

Hi all, I'm hoping you can lend some insight and opinion to something that I have been thinking about lately. Let me give you a quick background on what I'm in the middle of.

On Christmas, my wife broke her right foot, and having two cars in our garage with manual transmissions made driving impossible for her. Because her WRX is newer, I flipped my car and quickly bought an automatic 2006 BMW 530xiT wagon for her to drive while she was in a walking boot. Neither of us care for slushboxes, so I knew it would be a short-term rental. The doctor gave her a clean bill of heath this week, so the boot came off and she is learning to use her foot again. The 530xiT will be heading out the door in the next couple of weeks.

The car was pretty decent condition when we bought it for a fair price. The interior was a mess but cleaned up nicely, but as we get out of the Midwest winter grime, I'm starting to see how bad the paint is.

The scratches in the paint are the worst I have ever seen in a high-end car. The hood had been repainted at some point and has a really bad orange peel. The worst part of the finish is that it feels as if there is paint overspray on the entire car. I'm 95% sure it's overspray, as I am sure the car has had some front end work in the past. I think the respray was done on the cheap, and was probably in the vicinity of other cars that were also resprayed outside of a booth.

I clayed the hood of the car this afternoon, with only partial results. It clogged up the claybar pretty quickly and left me wanting for a more aggressive clay to cut the 800 grit finish on this clearcoat. I stopped after I did one pass on the hood, gave it a quick coat of wax and left it, but the whole car is making me twitch (not only the paint, but glass, headlights, tail lights, sunroof, etc). My wife kept telling me to let it go, but it's not how I'm wired.

So... the car will be put up for sale in the next 14 days. I could spend tomorrow pulling the overspray and scratches out of the whole car, polishing and waxing, or I can let it go and leave it to the next owner to ignore or repair.

$24,000 Question: Do you think there is any value in the resale of a used car in taking the time to clay, polish, wax & detail the paint or should I not waste my time? For a $6,000 car, does it make it worth a few hundred more or do most people not care? What would you do?

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

doug

I already took care of the beautiful Auburn Dakota leather interior...

...And detailed under the hood, because it looked like it had previously lived in the basin of a gravel quarry.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Opinions: Used Car Value w/Full Detail

A fresh detail will definitely bring more attention and money to it. I have had numerous customers who had me do a full detail prior to selling or trading in their vehicle. Looks and appearance can make a significant difference in the money they bring.

Make sure and get that engine bay cleaned up good too. People always look under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jeremy. It may not allow you to increase your asking price, however it could result in a much faster sale! Clean it up and see what happens!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Why not make it the best $6000 car around? You've already answered your question by doing the interior and engine bay, polishing it up won't take to long as you're not going for perfection but cleaning the paint and adding some gloss will add to the overall curb appeal.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the others, the time spent detailing will save time in the long run with a quicker sale.
    Back in the 90's I put my beloved 69 VW bus up for sale. It had a cheap paint job and rust under the front windshield but I decided to polish it up anyways and yes it did shine. Everyone who came to look at her mentioned it looked it great shape. First impressions can make a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a polisher?

If yes, then sure use a cleaner wax/AIO and the most aggressive pad you can get away with.

Or use a compound and what ever pad you can get away with, then spray wax or whatever is the easiest "wax" that you have.

Clay it first if you want to spend the time on it.

If no polisher, then no clay no polish. Unless you're just dying dying to try to polish possibly hard paint by hand. If so, then do the same as above. It's just going to take a lot more effort and time.

A good cleaner wax/AIO worked a little by hand can provide acceptable car sale prep results. Leave the scratches be and expect no miracles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    A fresh detail will definitely bring more attention and money to it. I have had numerous customers who had me do a full detail prior to selling or trading in their vehicle. Looks and appearance can make a significant difference in the money they bring.

Make sure and get that engine bay cleaned up good too. People always look under the hood.
    I will support and say yes it will make a difference.

My brother-in-law had a Scion tC (the year it first came out); this and along with a few others things the car needed...............

It was in rough shape and needed practically a brand new bumper. It was cracked and hanging literally by a thread.

Either way, I did an AIO on the outside and a full interior on the inside to especially freshen up the smell.

I forget how much he was asking for the car.

All I remember was that he was willing to give a little wiggle room for the price. However, because the car looked SO GOOD, the first person that went by to look at it paid cash full asking price.

I also remember telling him, your never going to get full asking price — boy, I was wrong.

Well there you have it — please forgive any grammar, spelling, etc. as it is 5:20am at time of typing this.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
    Hi all, I'm hoping you can lend some insight and opinion to something that I have been thinking about lately. Let me give you a quick background on what I'm in the middle of.

On Christmas, my wife broke her right foot, and having two cars in our garage with manual transmissions made driving impossible for her. Because her WRX is newer, I flipped my car and quickly bought an automatic 2006 BMW 530xiT wagon for her to drive while she was in a walking boot. Neither of us care for slushboxes, so I knew it would be a short-term rental. The doctor gave her a clean bill of heath this week, so the boot came off and she is learning to use her foot again. The 530xiT will be heading out the door in the next couple of weeks.

The car was pretty decent condition when we bought it for a fair price. The interior was a mess but cleaned up nicely, but as we get out of the Midwest winter grime, I'm starting to see how bad the paint is.

The scratches in the paint are the worst I have ever seen in a high-end car. The hood had been repainted at some point and has a really bad orange peel. The worst part of the finish is that it feels as if there is paint overspray on the entire car. I'm 95% sure it's overspray, as I am sure the car has had some front end work in the past. I think the respray was done on the cheap, and was probably in the vicinity of other cars that were also resprayed outside of a booth.

I clayed the hood of the car this afternoon, with only partial results. It clogged up the claybar pretty quickly and left me wanting for a more aggressive clay to cut the 800 grit finish on this clearcoat. I stopped after I did one pass on the hood, gave it a quick coat of wax and left it, but the whole car is making me twitch (not only the paint, but glass, headlights, tail lights, sunroof, etc). My wife kept telling me to let it go, but it's not how I'm wired.

So... the car will be put up for sale in the next 14 days. I could spend tomorrow pulling the overspray and scratches out of the whole car, polishing and waxing, or I can let it go and leave it to the next owner to ignore or repair.

$24,000 Question: Do you think there is any value in the resale of a used car in taking the time to clay, polish, wax & detail the paint or should I not waste my time? For a $6,000 car, does it make it worth a few hundred more or do most people not care? What would you do?

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

doug

I already took care of the beautiful Auburn Dakota leather interior...

...And detailed under the hood, because it looked like it had previously lived in the basin of a gravel quarry.
    It does help tremendously..If your interested in doing it hire someone for the task.Or just price the car according to it condition.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to say if you're not interested hire someone to do it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@TheBuffingMoose View Post
    I will support and say yes it will make a difference.

My brother-in-law had a Scion tC (the year it first came out); this and along with a few others things the car needed...............

It was in rough shape and needed practically a brand new bumper. It was cracked and hanging literally by a thread.

Either way, I did an AIO on the outside and a full interior on the inside to especially freshen up the smell.

I forget how much he was asking for the car.

All I remember was that he was willing to give a little wiggle room for the price. However, because the car looked SO GOOD, the first person that went by to look at it paid cash full asking price.

I also remember telling him, your never going to get full asking price — boy, I was wrong.

Well there you have it — please forgive any grammar, spelling, etc. as it is 5:20am at time of typing this.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I believe it I seen crazy scenarios from a wholesaler who only bought jettas and boxsters.They were so rough mismatch paint horrible texture, cars that have been bad accidents but with a clean carfax and a lititle tlc he would sell them quickly.price for a car is everything priced right people will buy and don't know enough what to look for or even care.It's the ole mighty dollar and if they can drive a porche thousands less with a warranty they will come.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast