autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

McKees 37 Coating vs Sealants

Hey guys, quick question.

I am currently using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax every 4-5 months. 2 bucket wash, polish with ultimate liquid wax and followed with the ULW. I use duragloss aquawax after every wash also. So I have been thinking about switching it up and trying a different sealant, such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss. However, I came across "user-friendly" ceramic coatings such as McKees 37 paint coating and Wolfgang uber ceramic. Both of these products don't seem any more difficult then using a paint sealant. If so, then why are sealants such as WG Deep Gloss, Ultimate Wax, Collinite 845, Griots poly-wax, etc... still so popular? If a $35 McKee's 37 lasts longer and offers better resistance to scratches/swirls then why use a $20-30 sealant? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Coating vs Sealants

Based on my personal experience with tons of very good products, I won't be going back to a sealant or wax. Coating, then ECH20 / Reload mix after each wash and I'm golden. No more wax-on / wax-off for me. I use McKee's on all my customer cars unless they request otherwise or it's single stage.

I suppose I should update my Avatar Pic soon
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
    Hey guys, quick question.

I am currently using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax every 4-5 months. 2 bucket wash, polish with ultimate liquid wax and followed with the ULW. I use duragloss aquawax after every wash also. So I have been thinking about switching it up and trying a different sealant, such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss. However, I came across "user-friendly" ceramic coatings such as McKees 37 paint coating and Wolfgang uber ceramic. Both of these products don't seem any more difficult then using a paint sealant. If so, then why are sealants such as WG Deep Gloss, Ultimate Wax, Collinite 845, Griots poly-wax, etc... still so popular? If a $35 McKee's 37 lasts longer and offers better resistance to scratches/swirls then why use a $20-30 sealant? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.
    One reason would be, some of these coatings are hit or miss. This may have to do with the prep (which technically is an extra polishing step and consumes more time).

But, if you are willing to put in the proper prep (zero residual waxes/oils on the paint) - some of the coatings are prolly as easy to use as a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -There's more to it than the initial
    outlay of $30.00, or so, for an LSP.

•I consider the "paint-prep" requirements
    for a Coating application...compared to
    what's required for a Sealant...to be ones
    of major importance. With that being said:

-An understanding of those prerequisites
    is paramount: especially if a successful
    Coating application is to be obtained.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
    ...why are sealants such as WG Deep Gloss, Ultimate Wax, Collinite 845, Griots poly-wax, etc... still so popular?
    Now that's a million dollar question.

I'd say:

Familiarity.
    Availability - aka over the counter.
    Able to switch up and try different things.
    Wants to, but tons of old stuff left.
    Fear of newer technology.

Seriously considering going the coating route myself, and McKee's 37 is the prime candidate. But not yet. Still got tons of old & unopened stuff to work through (hey, that sounds familiar).

Post Thanks / Like

I did my first coating last July. I did my research, got the proper products, and took my time. For me it was a bit overwhelming, but I trusted what I learned here on this forum. Afterwards I swore I would never use another coating again, got a couple high spots, and it did seem like a lot of work. But after two weeks, noticing how the car stayed cleaner, washed off easier, and OMG the glassy/candy look. For me coatings are the way to go. I am sold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    after two weeks, noticing how the car stayed cleaner, washed off easier, and OMG the glassy/candy look. For me coatings are the way to go. I am sold!

^^ I just rinseless washed both cars and I love wheels coatings. My winter wheels shed dirt like a dog sheds hair in the summer. I use nothing but Uber Rinseless on them all season with no issues getting them clean.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel coatings are great, I have PBL Wheel on for about 10 months now, getting ready for a refresh soon!