autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When is it time for new pads?

Using a PC with CCS pads right now. As those wear out, I think I'll replace them with thin pros. I have 6 orange pads and a couple white pads that have been used twice with AIO, and a black pad I've used to apply sealant. I use a clean pad on every panel, and once finished with the pad I toss it in a bucket filled with warm water and polishing pad cleaner until I can brush and spray/squeeze as much residue out of them as possible, then I lay them on a mesh grate to dry. As the weather improves, and friends and family want their cars to look good, I might do a little more than just maintaining my own vehicles this year. What should I look for in terms of wear, and when it's time to toss them? How many times do you use them before replacing and what is your cleaning routine? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When is it time for new pads?

For me, it's when the hook and loop wears out. As long as the foam is still ok, I'll use it.

I've had some pads sustain structural damage that made them difficult to center, and comfortably operate.

CCS foams are very resilient. You should be able to get years of use out of them at the pace you are using them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Using a PC with CCS pads right now. As those wear out, I think I'll replace them with thin pros. I have 6 orange pads and a couple white pads that have been used twice with AIO, and a black pad I've used to apply sealant. I use a clean pad on every panel, and once finished with the pad I toss it in a bucket filled with warm water and polishing pad cleaner until I can brush and spray/squeeze as much residue out of them as possible, then I lay them on a mesh grate to dry. As the weather improves, and friends and family want their cars to look good, I might do a little more than just maintaining my own vehicles this year. What should I look for in terms of wear, and when it's time to toss them? How many times do you use them before replacing and what is your cleaning routine? Thanks in advance.
    Have you looked into the 5.5" Griots Boss pads? Lots of fans here. Might be worth your while to compare/contrast them with the thin pros. I've got several of both waiting to try. The BOSS pads are NICE.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll kinda "feel" and see when they need to be replaced but like dlc said, I still have some pads that are years old. I like your routine for taking them off the job...a bucket of warm water and some cleaner to prevent them from drying spent product and paint within them before fully cleaning. That's also my routine and I feel it preserves their longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this tree next to my driveway with a pretty gnarly bark. I will generally jam the pad on this tree to get rid of the major spent product, then just brush the bark bits off with the side of my finger and keep polishing away.

Seriously though, I use the pad cleaner/bucket system. I have the Pinnacle MF cleaner in my bucket w/ about 2 gallons of water. Use a pad, toss it in, let it soak until I'm done with the truck.

Then, (just me) I like to clean each by hand In the sink, dry them in the dryer, and back into their own plastic bags until the next use.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what's been stated, I've seen pads lose their flat shape and sort of cave in (concave). I then cut them for use by hand in tight areas.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a handful of LC green CCS pads that I've had for about 7 years now. I can just barely tell the difference, visually between the really used ones and the ones I just took out of the plastic. The older pads appearance in the round divots aren't as crisp as the newer ones. Best I can tell, they work great.

My cleaning routine is similar to others': throw them in a bucket of warm water (I put a small amount of ONR/Megs APC in) and let them soak until I'm finished with the machine work. Then they all go into the sink with some Dawn, a splash of full-strength APC and a toothbrush (with gloves for me!). Once they are brushed clean, I'll "squish" them and flush the soapy water through them a few times. Then they get rinsed under warm/hot water until they run clean. Dry overnight on a cooling rack and back onto a plastic container.

Get this: a buddy of mine THROWS HIS OUT after one or two uses...I asked him what day his garbage collection comes by...dang!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    In addition to what's been stated, I've seen pads lose their flat shape and sort of cave in (concave). I then cut them for use by hand in tight areas.
    I had some that went convex!

It was from spinning closed cell pads too fast while drying them out on the tool.

Once I did that, the backing shrunk, and the while pad looked like a contact lense. It was no longer able to get the right centering, or feel on the backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the average "use" one should get out of a pad? Say 5 polishes? Maybe more or less?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    With LC flat pads i quickly learned that too much product + not cleaning pad enough + pressure = heat, resulting in collapse of middle of pad. Oops...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast