autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

When different product lines don't play well together...

I think I just found one. With warm (read: not freezing) weather, and nothing to do this afternoon I decided to take advantage and wash my truck and explorer.

The truck is sealed with griots paint sealant. The explorer has McKee's 360 on it.

I'm a huge fan of meg's ultimate wash and wax and spray wax. Only problem, I was out of the soap. I decided to crack open a bottle of McKee's 37 power wash I got in a mystery box. The explorer lives in the garage, and I have done a waterless wash and used McKee's fast wax (I'm also a fan of that line because of the value). Both cleaned up very nicely, and the combination of the soap's conditioners and cooler weather helped minimize waterspots while drying. The fast wax gave a nice, slick and shiny finish on the tuxedo black metallic.

Here's where it gets interesting: Same drill on the truck, but streaks everywhere. Even clean towels grabbed bad. Go grab the bottle of ultimate spray wax, problem solved.

That's a first for me. Guess I'll wait to see how the fast wax looks on the blue jean metallic until after it's spring 360 treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When different product lines don't play well together...

So the Fast Wax didn't play well with the Griots Paint Sealant?

Interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Did you wash them both outside, or just the truck?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Both washed with 2 bucket method. Both with same mitts (one for top, one for bottom/running boards). Both dried with clean waffle weaves. Both got clean gold plush towels to each panel while applying spray wax. They've both been run through the same brushless wash the same day because of the winter weather last week. I was impressed with the results fast wax had on my car when I did a waterless about a month ago, so I decided to give it a give it a go on my truck, which is a dark metallic color as well. I'll try it again when I use 360 this spring. I really, really like how it makes the black metallic pop, and it seems to give better longevity than the ultimate spray wax, so I'll continue to use it.

What I found most interesting, is that the griots has played well with everything else in the McKee's/DP line. It looks AMAZING when topped with max wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info.

I was just thinking that maybe the truck had an environmental contaminant/wash temperature issue that the Explorer did not have because she lives in the garage.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda off topic, but how does the beading compare between Fast Wax and Ultimate?

Post Thanks / Like

Initially, the ultimate is better, however, the fast wax seems to have better longevity. Fast wax seems to give a little more depth, but I'm not comparing apples to apples. It's also apparent that something is "different" with my truck's hood. That's the only place that has max wax on the truck and it doesn't feel anywhere near as slick. The paint paint on the Explorer with max wax, and the paint on the truck with ultimate wax feel about the same.