autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Constant bonded contaminates on daily driver

So I have noticed an ongoing issue with my Silverado LTZ. This truck sits outside 24/7 and is a daily driver. I try to stay on it as much as possible but during the winter months it can go 2-3 weeks without being washed.

The issue I am having is that it seems to have bonded contaminates from halfway down the sides of the truck everytime I go to wash it. The truck gets about 400 miles a week on it. For instance I just recently polished and coated it 2 weeks ago. I gave it a maintenance wash yesterday and sure enough it feels rough from halfway down the sides of the truck.

Not sure if putting mudflaps on the front would help with contaminates getting thrown up at the surface. Kinda getting annoyed with this because it definitely effects the performance of the LSP.

Any ideas on how to help would be awesome. Here`s a picture of the truck for visual.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant bonded contaminates on daily driver

I don't have any suggestions but I feel your pain. Here in San Antonio the hard water is such a problem, if it rains and sits on my car for 24 hours I can see some spotting from it.

Keeping a daily driver clean is tough and I'm beginning to think that for a daily, just do an annual or maybe twice annual wash/decon/polish/protect and use maintenance products in between that help to boost the shine and reduce the chances of deep marring to the surface.

Mud flaps will help to reduce the sling of road grime (at highway speeds there has to be some abrasion) and maybe improve the longevity of your work.

I had different wheels on my car that were flush with the wheel arches (looked really good IMHO) but they slung more crap on the sides of the car. Going back to the stock wheels (higher numerical offset) which put the wheels and tires back slightly inside the wheel wells has made a big difference. No where near the amount of grime on the side of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

The wash itself may not be removing enough of the road gunk. As the picture shows, you are in snow, which means brine and salt on the road. This can build up really easily on any vehicle. You may need to use something that can break down this road grime. Depending on the coating, it should not be affected by the chemical, if it is fully cured.

Try that and see if you see a different result.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    The wash itself may not be removing enough of the road gunk. As the picture shows, you are in snow, which means brine and salt on the road. This can build up really easily on any vehicle. You may need to use something that can break down this road grime. Depending on the coating, it should not be affected by the chemical, if it is fully cured.

Try that and see if you see a different result.

HUMP
    Thanks for the input. Currently I use Carpro Reset for my maintenance wash. I don't think a chemical or soap is going to work in this instance. This is definitely a bonded surface contaminates.

Thinking that mud flaps are going to be my best chance of avoiding it all together. Right now it just gets annoying having to nanoskin the truck every wash lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think daily spray-offs would help. Trying to keep the winter elements off the paint may keep those LSP robbing varmits at bay. If there's a product to do this, I don't know of it. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the mud flaps, not only keep down the spray of water and other stuff off the truck but over time when roads are dry the debri the wheels will throw off the on the panels of the truck. WeatherTech has line of no drill flaps plus you have a truck can never go wrong with mud flaps

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue with my wife's car. She works near an industrial area. And anytime after a rain the car gets really rough. Especially on the flat surfaces roof, hood etc. So this situation is from the fall out from the stacks.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    I have the same issue with my wife's car. She works near an industrial area. And anytime after a rain the car gets really rough. Especially on the flat surfaces roof, hood etc. So this situation is from the fall out from the stacks.

I haven't done a ceramic coating on this car yet but will be once the weather breaks

Post Thanks / Like

Just had thought. Have you tried Collinite 476? I have used that on a DD before, protects like an armored tank. Seemed to repel Mother Natures and man's unkind paint assailants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    Just had thought. Have you tried Collinite 476? I have used that on a DD before, protects like an armored tank. Seemed to repel Mother Natures and man's unkind paint assailants.
    Sure have. Even have a can of the pre VOC formula.

I have tried multiple coatings, hydro2, all sorts of sealants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast