autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant bonded contaminates on daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    Just had thought. Have you tried Collinite 476? I have used that on a DD before, protects like an armored tank. Seemed to repel Mother Natures and man's unkind paint assailants.
    Yes I agree, maybe try topping the area with a good wax, as it may adhere much differently than a coating. I haven't used coatings as of yet, only waxes and sealants...but I've come to realize, although sealants last much longer than waxes, it's the waxes that seem to protect better. Nothing seems to stick to it. It's worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    The wash itself may not be removing enough of the road gunk. As the picture shows, you are in snow, which means brine and salt on the road. This can build up really easily on any vehicle. You may need to use something that can break down this road grime. Depending on the coating, it should not be affected by the chemical, if it is fully cured.

Try that and see if you see a different result.

HUMP
    This was my thinking as well. My wife puts in serious mileage on rural roads for work and it gets really dirty, very quickly.

Even with a good quality car shampoo, I've encountered many times when I've had to wash the car twice in order to get it properly clean and feeling slick again. In winter the weather makes this an impossible task and I just deal with a semi-dirty vehicle until the weather improves and I can give it a proper cleaning.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    So I have noticed an ongoing issue with my Silverado LTZ. This truck sits outside 24/7 and is a daily driver. I try to stay on it as much as possible but during the winter months it can go 2-3 weeks without being washed.

The issue I am having is that it seems to have bonded contaminates from halfway down the sides of the truck everytime I go to wash it. The truck gets about 400 miles a week on it. For instance I just recently polished and coated it 2 weeks ago. I gave it a maintenance wash yesterday and sure enough it feels rough from halfway down the sides of the truck.

Not sure if putting mudflaps on the front would help with contaminates getting thrown up at the surface. Kinda getting annoyed with this because it definitely effects the performance of the LSP.

Any ideas on how to help would be awesome. Here`s a picture of the truck for visual.

idk can contaminants really become bonded to the paint that fast with a good coat of wax on it? that doesnt seem right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    The wash itself may not be removing enough of the road gunk. As the picture shows, you are in snow, which means brine and salt on the road. This can build up really easily on any vehicle. You may need to use something that can break down this road grime. Depending on the coating, it should not be affected by the chemical, if it is fully cured.

Try that and see if you see a different result.

HUMP
    like what can you name some products for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    idk can contaminants really become bonded to the paint that fast with a good coat of wax on it? that doesnt seem right
    Absolutely they can. Brake dust and other things can degrade a LSP very quickly depending how harsh they are or are not. Some of this chemicals etc they use here to salt and sand roads during the winter are not forgiving.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Here in NY, we have the same crappy winters/road salt etc. The last few years I have been using 2 coats of KAIO, and 3 good coats of Collinite 845.

Washed my truck earlier this week, (ONR) and didn't feel too many bumps (contaminates) at all. The stuff that is there I can live with until spring.

Old products, but they work very well for me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Mud flaps definitely help.

Someone just came out with a product that you add to your soap that is supposed to boost the cleaning properties and help prevent corrosion. Sounds like an interesting product. I'd love to see AG come up with something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    So I have noticed an ongoing issue with my Silverado LTZ. This truck sits outside 24/7 and is a daily driver. I try to stay on it as much as possible but during the winter months it can go 2-3 weeks without being washed.

The issue I am having is that it seems to have bonded contaminates from halfway down the sides of the truck everytime I go to wash it. The truck gets about 400 miles a week on it. For instance I just recently polished and coated it 2 weeks ago. I gave it a maintenance wash yesterday and sure enough it feels rough from halfway down the sides of the truck.

Not sure if putting mudflaps on the front would help with contaminates getting thrown up at the surface. Kinda getting annoyed with this because it definitely effects the performance of the LSP.

Any ideas on how to help would be awesome. Here`s a picture of the truck for visual.

Rimshield on lower portion of truck maybe your sole
    Solution.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated on Autopia my van is the same scenario. I work next to a couple rock quarries and the constant stone dust on the road and air and lord knows what else from there and all the dump trucks reeks havoc on my vehicle. Add rain, snow and then salt brine to battle the ice and snow and it's an LSPs worst nightmare. My front fenders especially can be rough after no time at all then it's nanoskin or clay once again.

I don't think there is much since on using a coating as you are gonna have to be in decon mode with clay or nanoskin every couple weeks. Don't think a coating is made to stand up to that frequent of rub down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post
    Mud flaps definitely help.

Someone just came out with a product that you add to your soap that is supposed to boost the cleaning properties and help prevent corrosion. Sounds like an interesting product. I'd love to see AG come up with something similar.
    what product is that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast