autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brush for Large Vehicles?

Hello everyone,

To begin with, I drive a large vehicle (GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4). I prefer to wash the vehicle myself, but there are many (many) times where I just don’t have the time to devote to getting it cleaned up.

I recently relocated from Southern California to the greater Charlotte, NC area and while not perfect, there were a few “hand wash” car washes in the So. Cal. area; these seem to be “nonexistent” in my new place of residence and everything seems to be one of those automated drive-thru car washes that have the spinning “brushes”. To be blunt, I don’t care to run my vehicles through these.

I’m the kind of guy that likes things neat and clean. I understand that using the “hand wash” places in Southern California were far from ideal from a detailing standpoint, they were certainly better than nothing. Now that they are no longer an option, I need to find a way to quickly clean this thing myself.

Can anyone recommend a quality, soft quality brush that will allow me to get the high spots (i.e. roof, etc.) while not damaging the paint? I have one that I use on my RV, but I’m not sure that it would be appropriate for my vehicle’s finish.

Any advice is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brush for Large Vehicles?

Montana Boars Hair brushes are supposed to be paint safe. I have never used one on my paint, but I have one that I use for my wheels and have never experienced any problems.

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/boar-s-hair.html

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes the Montana boar's hair brushes are very good. I use the long-handled one on my paint regularly and it does very well. I actually believe they're better than wash mitts since you're not rubbing against the paint with a mitt that may have some dirt particles embedded. I believe the brush has more of a lifting action to remove dirt, so you're less likely to induce swirls. The handle is an advantage for large vehicles also.

That said, I find the boar's hair brushes actually too soft for wheels, since they don't have enough abrasive action to remove brake dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the one Meghan @autogeek uses:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I know exactly how you feel. You can't really work with a brush with no punch to it but at the same time you aren't trying to scratch your paint to the max... I'm about to purchase this brush to use on the roofs of customers vehicles because for 1 they aren't fully corrected up there + no one can see up there either ways.

AG doesn't sell it so you'll have get it elsewhere, it's the flagged tip brush. I have a short 1 that I use for applying tire dressing but it's certainly good for washing the roof, grill, wheels, rocker panels, bumpers etc.

This is what you're looking for + it's fairly cheap. I'm getting mine for $11 + free shipping on the bay...

Perfect for my customers SUV's. On my Kia I'll still use the mitt but that's because it gets pampered.

Carrand also makes 1 but the bristles appear to be nylon which is sometimes borderline safe or sorry.. HF sells the same type of wash brush. The gray 1 I showed you is safer yet still cleans well.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the replies!

2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport
    2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS / 1LE

Post Thanks / Like

Boars hair is great but just soak for a few minutes before use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yup, I know exactly how you feel. You can't really work with a brush with no punch to it but at the same time you aren't trying to scratch your paint to the max... I'm about to purchase this brush to use on the roofs of customers vehicles because for 1 they aren't fully corrected up there + no one can see up there either ways.

AG doesn't sell it so you'll have get it elsewhere, it's the flagged tip brush. I have a short 1 that I use for applying tire dressing but it's certainly good for washing the roof, grill, wheels, rocker panels, bumpers etc.

This is what you're looking for + it's fairly cheap. I'm getting mine for $11 + free shipping on the bay...

Perfect for my customers SUV's. On my Kia I'll still use the mitt but that's because it gets pampered.

Carrand also makes 1 but the bristles appear to be nylon which is sometimes borderline safe or sorry.. HF sells the same type of wash brush. The gray 1 I showed you is safer yet still cleans well.

Sent from my iPhone
    i think the carrand one is flagged tipped as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    i think the carrand one is flagged tipped as well
    It is, but it's bristles feel more like nylon compared to synthetic bristles of the gray brush. The blue bristles of the Carrand are stiffer whereas the gray brushes bristles feel denser while being softer in construction.

-The blue Carrand body brush says do not use with hot water or the bristles will deform. It also says nothing about the bristles being chemical resistant, so I'll assume they're not.

-The gray flagged tipped brush is chemical resistant and I've been using my small 1 for well over a year and it appears bulletproof.

I have a wheel brush that's similar in look and feel to the Carrand brush, and while I like it's extra stiffness to help clean wheels, I'd never use it on paint vs. the gray brush which I would feel safe to use.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Brush for Large Vehicles?

Don't have a brush, But I can suggest some step ladders that I have used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast