autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you handle people who like to be sticklers but are also customers?

be courteous (calm and professional) and without getting into a big discussion where it could lead into a argument, just mention that your services are reflected in your prices and you don't cut corners that will sacrifice the overall outcome of your work and when they are ready you would love to provide your services to them...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just have To say No. It's perfectly ok To say.
    It's also ok To say. This is My price. You're more than welcome To have your car done "the I can get it done cheaper" But when you come back To Me To fix the mess they made of your car. It's going To cost a lot more. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    This is often what I get into. Some know me as a hobbyist detailer or a car guy and ask roughly how much is this or what does that do for the car? I get into basics and get left with ---o well the other one is much cheaper or this guy seems overpriced etc.

Misconceptions are also a HUGE problem and annoys me so much
    I'm in the same boat (car guy/hobbyist) and it can be difficult dealing with uneducated people. They think 50$ gets them the world.

Another huge thing, the average person has a different view of a "clean car". To them, as long as its has no dirt, and tire shine it is clean. To us, if it has no defects then its truly clean. Thats a hard mentality to break and overcome. Don't let it get to you. I have told people no, and shaken off lots of low balls and scoffs. YOU are creating your own results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CParrott View Post
    I'm in the same boat (car guy/hobbyist) and it can be difficult dealing with uneducated people. They think 50$ gets them the world.

Another huge thing, the average person has a different view of a "clean car". To them, as long as its has no dirt, and tire shine it is clean. To us, if it has no defects then its truly clean. Thats a hard mentality to break and overcome. Don't let it get to you. I have told people no, and shaken off lots of low balls and scoffs. YOU are creating your own results.
    You're right about the average person's notion of clean. I see it all the time at car shows and meets. People rub on their cars dry or apply some otc spray wax with a terry cloth and put signs on them that say "please don't touch." Spectators ooo, and aah over these cars, the owner is concerned about finger prints, and I'm seeing a swirl fest thinking to myself how much better it would look with some DA time on the paint.
    Then the younger crowd is all about the light show with led's under and in the car and headlights changing colors that draws them like moths, and I'm seeing a swirls.
    I've even seen cars up for auction on Barret Jackson with holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    You're right about the average person's notion of clean. I see it all the time at car shows and meets. People rub on their cars dry or apply some otc spray wax with a terry cloth and put signs on them that say "please don't touch." Spectators ooo, and aah over these cars, the owner is concerned about finger prints, and I'm seeing a swirl fest thinking to myself how much better it would look with some DA time on the paint.
    Then the younger crowd is all about the light show with led's under and in the car and headlights changing colors that draws them like moths, and I'm seeing a swirls.
    I've even seen cars up for auction on Barret Jackson with holograms.
    Lol light shows, yes some of the crowd in my age is completely stupid when it comes to car modifications. The lights dont do anything are honestly a waste of money. In regards to the actual detail side. I went to a large car show with even a high end auction company at it. I looked at all the paints and while they were old,alot of the cars were faded, had cracked paint, and huge issues that would never pass for a geek.

I would think based on a shop collecting data, that 85 -95 percent of people do not go for a paint correction but rather a wash decon and lsp stage detail on the outdside and a minimal cleaning on the inside yet it is still sometimes odd to me what they think it costs and what is a fair price.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yak0924 View Post
    Sometimes you just have To say No. It's perfectly ok To say.
    It's also ok To say. This is My price. You're more than welcome To have your car done "the I can get it done cheaper" But when you come back To Me To fix the mess they made of your car. It's going To cost a lot more. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I do agree, maybe a more same page example I say is contracting. People seem to get that more than detailing. They are paying it be me or someone else for supplies, labor, and time which starts to add up.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, I'm most aligned with VISITOR'S approach. The few times I've had the "oh, too much" response i explain very cordially what I do. My attempt is always to work the education angle and explain very nicely what i do to warrant that price. They either want it or they remain oppositional however i understand where they're coming from but don't overwork what will end up a no sale. I shake their hand, thank them for their time and hand them a business card.

"Next?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123