autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do people ever ask for some of your products?

Earlier this week a co worker of mine asked me if I had anything to clean leather seats that made them smell like leather... I asked what his deal was.. He said that he recently gave someone a ride and that person stank up his Honda and he's been looking to clean it up ever since. Lol.

And since he knows I detail cars he's interested in buying a bit of the stuff I use/recommend.

I told him, "1st of all, you might want to skip those leather products that try to smell like leather, because most of them miss the mark and just wind up smelling like dry oatmeal" lol. I told him I've got something that smells way better than oatmeal.Do people ever ask for some of your products?

Today he reminded me about bringing him some tomorrow, that way he could get to cleaning the stench off his seats.. My 1st thought was to hook him up with some leather cleaner & conditioner, but if the seats are as bad as they sound, then it's only proper that they're thoroughly cleaned 1st..

So I'm going to set him up with this:
    32oz. Megs D101@10:1
    16oz. Megs D180 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
    Terry applicators to apply the D180
    [I had to go to the store to get the spray bottle & applicators. I was hoping to find ketchup squeeze bottle but they didn't have any, so I used empty water bottle]

He's a nice guy, So I'm only gonna charge him $10 bucks. Not too bad eh?

What do you think? Fair? Too little? Or? Do people ever ask you for just some product?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do people ever ask for some of your products?

Should have had him pay you to do it. I would have set him up with sample size bottles but that is just me. But you went all out and hooked him up. That is a good friend.

The only person to ask me for stuff is my brother. Other than that nobody else has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Should have had him pay you to do it. I would have set him up with sample size bottles but that is just me. But you went all out and hooked him up. That is a good friend.

The only person to ask me for stuff is my brother. Other than that nobody else has.
    A couple weeks ago I forgot my wallet, so I asked him if he could loan me a couple bucks so I could get something to eat... All he had on him was $3 bucks and he gave it to me. The next day I went to pay him back and he refused and said it's all good, something about take care and hopefully it may come back when it's needed down the line... That's why I went out of my way to hook him up.Do people ever ask for some of your products?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

I would just let him use the stuff for free and return the unused back to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a few customers either ask me about specific products or materials i use and one customer asked where i get my stuff. He owned a BMW M6 and had a keen interest in maintaining what i did for him. I turn them on to Autogeek online.

I'll have the ocassional neighbor ask how to do this or that and i'll either do it for them if it's quick or give them a small sample of product with instructions. I ordered 100 4 oz. and 2 oz. plastic bottles from US Plastics a couple years ago and use them now for samples.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me personally I wouldn't charge him at all. The fact that he refused to take back the money proves his a good guy and whats $10 between friends or in the big picture anyways? Infact I would do the actual job for him free as courtesy but thats just me, been brought up to help people and if you a religious man God wil reward you atleast 10 fold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    If it were me personally I wouldn't charge him at all. The fact that he refused to take back the money proves his a good guy and whats $10 between friends or in the big picture anyways? Infact I would do the actual job for him free as courtesy but thats just me, been brought up to help people and if you a religious man God wil reward you atleast 10 fold.
    agreed.yesterday I took some paint transfer off a fender for a lady and it was so easy I didn't charge her.She was so happy I gave her some cards and you never know what might come from that.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing...do quick freebies for friends and neighbors. I also hand them a few cards as well when i'm done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ton of little 1oz bottles with spray tops and solid lids. Usually for my customers I give them some samples of Wolfgang Uber or detail mist mixed up if they show an interest or likelihood of using them. That "little something extra" goes a long way. I do the same for friends. Occasionally and depending on the product or person, etc. I may put together a small give bucket.

I get 100% of my business from word of mouth, referrals and repeats so the selfless acts of giving usually go a long long way especially in such a competitive space.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge him if he was willing to give you his last 3 bucks. I know it hurts a little looking at those big bottles of product because they weren't cheap, but I believe, it's the gesture that counts.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast