autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you correct chrome pieces?

Hola, and Happy New Year!

On the 2011Silverado, the "chrome" surfaces are likely several different material types:

• Chrome film vacuum formed over a plastic surface (think grilles, possibly the door handle covers and chrome mirror caps)

•Stainless steel (exhaust tips and likely the running boards and bumpers. Possibly the door handle covers.)

I am of the opinion swirls and scratches cannot be removed from "real" chrome plating - which is a hard, thin plating over a copper substrate. Like Mike, I've never seen it happen. Yes, you can hide it by filling, but a scratch is a scratch. I would not use a regular chrome polish on the chrome "film" - it will abrade through the surface after several application. Our Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner is safe to use on this finish to clean, shine and protect.

Stainless requires speed to polish to a finish comparable to a chrome-like finish. That means using a tool (drill, rotary, etc.). You'll also need to multi-step with polishes to first remove the large scratches with smaller scratches (which is the definition of polishing) and then a finer polish or two to finish it off. We make an aggressive metal polish (Mothers PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish, metal polish, remove metal scratches) which works well as the first step.

Generally, window trim isn't chrome - it's commonly anodized aluminum. Anodizing is about impossible to restore without removing the anodized coating. It can also be stainless depending on the vehicle.

Are all of the surfaces on your Silverado you mentioned (chrome bumpers, running boards, mirror caps, door handles, and exhaust tips) factory, or were any of them installed by the dealer or aftermarket? If so, it's difficult to suggest a product/process since there are so many variables. Close up pics always help.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick example of what Essence can do on REAL chrome (have not tried it on plastic chrome). First picture is the before. Second is the after. Please note I only did the top pipe on the left hand side. I was attempting to do a 50/50 but couldn't capture it very well ..

Hopefully you can see the difference ...

Like I said not perfect but it was a definite improvement. But with that said I'm gonna duck out of this thread as you're getting a bunch of great advice from Forrest, Rasky, and of course Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

What is suggested for anodized aluminum? I'm pretty sure that is what my 2011 BMW has around its windows. I've used the Britemax twins with zero luck. Would Mothers Aluminum Polish do the trick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    That's what I seem to be figuring it out which makes me quite sad. The swirls are driving me nuts.
    A lot of those accents aren't chrome but rather chrome plastic.Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to improve.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    What is suggested for anodized aluminum? I'm pretty sure that is what my 2011 BMW has around its windows. I've used the Britemax twins with zero luck. Would Mothers Aluminum Polish do the trick?
    Our Mag & Aluminum Polish will remove the anodized coating.

After that you'll need to repolish the trim on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglastwx View Post
    Ini Malaysia, we have this product.

not sure about swirls though, but to my understanding, it is a chrome polish

OSREN | Home

For exhaust and door handle, i use meguairs metal polish
    How many of you caught where the guy just cleaned the surface with some type of solvent and immediately swiped his finger on the trim leaving behind oil from his finger. He did do a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience from working at Mercedes Benz for many years,we used a cleaner wax to restore those with a little help from a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Mercedessource, that aluminum window trim found on German luxury cars such as BMW and Benz is next to impossible to restore once it's become oxidized or swirled. He's got a video where he's gone through nearly every product and technique imaginable with little to no success...

In the end it's 1 of those special PITA parts that they've decided to go with as part of those particular vehicles. Just about every vehicle, especially luxury cars tend to have certain parts that boggle the mind with their grand inconvenience.. i.e. the starter on a Northstar equipped Cadillac being located underneath the engine, requiring the whole engine to be pulled out of the car to simply replace the starter. [I pray my starter never goes out] Lol.

If it's the same kind of aluminum trim they used from the beginning up until at least a few years ago, you're better off just replacing it new.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12