autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Softest microfiber available?

GSM and softness are not related. GSM is a measure of density, not softness of the fibers the towel is constructed from.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest45 View Post
    GSM and softness are not related. GSM is a measure of density, not softness of the fibers the towel is constructed from.
    Thanks, I'm aware GSM is unrelated to softness, which brings me back to my original question, does anyone know what the softest MF available is. From what I can tell a 70/30 mix is the softest I've seen with any of the MF manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zevulin View Post
    Thanks, I'm aware GSM is unrelated to softness, which brings me back to my original question, does anyone know what the softest MF available is. From what I can tell a 70/30 mix is the softest I've seen with any of the MF manufacturers.
    Just like with the GSM issue, I'm not sure that the fiber mix is the be-all, end-all recipe for "softness" (whatever that is, it's not a technical term). Here's a discussion of the fiber blend from a towel website that will remain nameless (ok, it's MFT):

"By far, the most common questions asked have to do with the blend or composition of the microfiber material. Microfiber is a blend of two man-made fibers, polyester and polyamide. Most commonly 80/20 and 70/30. Experienced users of microfiber products notice that some of their towels are labeled 70/30 and some are labeled 80/20 (sometimes 85/15 or 75/25). Some users notice that they like the towels labeled 70/30 better and assume that they are better because they are 70/30, other users notice that they like the towels labeled 80/20 better and assume that it is because they are 80/20. But this is NOT the case.

Let me tell you why. First of all, there are many other factors that effect the quality of a microfiber fabric, and there are many factors that effect the the performance for a particular task. There can be huge quality differences between two similarly constructed fabrics (yarn quality, construction quality, quality control), and there can be huge differences in performance (for a particular task) between two quality fabrics (i.e fabrics for wet mopping do not work well for car drying, and fabrics for car drying don't work well for wet mopping). And for the most part none of these quality or performance differences can be accounted for by the stated polyester/polyamide blend of the fabric.

Second, most microfiber fabrics are labeled incorrectly. The truth is that the U.S. Government requires that companies label their imported products with the country of origin and the content of the product (in our case the ratio of polyester to polyamide). They don't require that these content declarations be 100% accurate. In fact for a given product on a given production run, there will be a +/- 2% difference in fiber content, and no perceivable difference for the user. On top of that, a manufacturer will label the towels in what ever manner (within reason) the buyer requests.

You may be thinking, "That sure is deceptive.", but it really is just a matter of semantics. For the most part, all microfiber yarns start out as a blend of 70% polyester and 30% polyamide. For most microfiber products (not waffle weave) the microfiber yarn is woven through a polyester backing (ground), at this point the composition of the product is closer to 80% polyester and 20% polyamide, because you have to add in the 100% polyester backing. Some factories will call this fabric 70/30 and some 80/20."

Then there are some other factors, such as how the fibers are split or woven, etc. I'm presuming you started this thread because you swirled your instrument cluster, since you started a thread about that at the same time. So there are multiple considerations, what cleaning agent was used in conjunction with the cloth, was the dirt/dust on the lens abrasive, was the towel clean, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

As = as important is pre spec purchase details --- the right density, nap given the application, edge detail of towel, etc which is all the easy part of this......proper care and use is probably 90% MORE important than the pre-purchase to maintain such ~softness~.

I've got plenty of ~premium MF's~, and maybe it's my luck of the draw, but this particular brand --- which see's either water of a very very light interior cleaner, is nowhere as soft as when it was brand new, nor the 50 different ways I've tried cleaning it, etc, will it get back to the softness level I expect from it.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe gsm= grams per square meter.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy-Then there are some other factors, such as how the fibers are split or woven, etc. I'm presuming you started this thread because you swirled your instrument cluster, since you started a thread about that at the same time. So there are multiple considerations, what cleaning agent was used in conjunction with the cloth, was the dirt/dust on the lens abrasive, was the towel clean, etc.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the info, I actually started the clear plastic thread because I recently replaced the windshield on a motorcycle in my collection and ultimately would like to keep it micro-swirl free. From threads I've read here I guess even the softest MF can cause micro-swirling if used dry. If you had to pick your favorite MF for maximum softness in your opinion which would that be?

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info, I actually started the clear plastic thread because I recently replaced the windshield on a motorcycle in my collection and ultimately would like to keep it micro-swirl free. From threads I've read here I guess even the softest MF can cause micro-swirling if used dry. If you had to pick your favorite MF for maximum softness in your opinion which would that be?
    Eh, I dunno, I'm the wrong guy to ask about that, if I stuck my head in it that far, that's all I'd be doing all day is worrying about whether my towels were the softest, whether they were staying that way, whether some new towel was softer...wait a minute...that sounds like my life already...

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a low/no.no nap MF for that. Either the TRC Glass and or even something like the Large CQ Suedes which are quite nice. I have had terrible luck with the Boa's

Post Thanks / Like

Is 70/30 mix MF the softest available?
    Not sure if they're any softer than 80/20's, but they'll be more absorbent. When looking for a solid drying towel, I make sure to pick out ones that are 70/30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I would use a low/no.no nap MF for that. Either the TRC Glass and or even something like the Large CQ Suedes which are quite nice. I have had terrible luck with the Boa's
    I'm I correct then in saying there are no towels than can be rubbed on a dry soft surface without creating swirls?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast