autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I've got some products on the shelf and trying to decide which to use

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I just put opti-seal on my daily driver today. My first time using it as a stand alone sealant. Yvan Lacroix of optimum has mentioned that opti-seal can last up to 9 months if regularly washed/maintained with ONR. I'm paraphrasing but the polymers in ONR sort of rejuvenate opti-seal.
    You know, I think that is a bit of a red herring. People sometimes talk about the longevity of their sealant being fantastic, and then we find out they use D156 as a drying aid...so are they really seeing that longevity of their LSP, or are they just seeing a week's worth of beading out of D156 between washes?

What I'm saying is I'm not sure I buy the "Optimum Synergy" between Opti-Seal and ONR, how about it's just the ONR and it's going to "maintain" any LSP? I mean I've been using some Four Star conventional wash, and after I use it, my beading is great...if I used it every week, I might think my LSP is lasting indefinitely, when what I'm seeing is the beading from the wash.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were choosing out of only the products you mention, and didn't plan to decontaminate or machine polish first... I'd go for the 105/601 and then refresh it with Opti-seal periodically over the next months. Reasoning- the 105 is a good cleaner. I wouldn't be applying the Enviroshield without appropriate prep work. Same goes for the Klasse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I wouldn't be applying the Enviroshield without appropriate prep work. Same goes for the Klasse.
    Can you even buy the Enviroshield without the Squeaky Clean "primer"? You can't here, anyway. You can buy them separately direct from DG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Can you even buy the Enviroshield without the Squeaky Clean "primer"? You can't here, anyway. You can buy them separately direct from DG.
    I was thinking more generally about the importance of claying and machine polishing to remove defects before applying any coating at all, DG or otherwise. Im sure the squeaky clean would clean it up enough for the sake of adhesion, but I wouldn't want to semi-permanently "seal" all the swirls on an un-prepped vehicle. Again, that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Opti-seal due to its ease of use. I recently coated one of my cars with Optigloss, and then used opti-seal on top of it while the coating cured. People will say it doesn't last long on top of a coating, and it's probably true, but every time i wash the car i use the opti-seal as a drying aid so it's like I keep reapplying it so I can't speak for its longevity. I also like that I can use it on all other surfaces as well such as glass, wood trim, plastic trim, metal trim, etc... Its very easy to apply and leaves a nice shine. Also, a little goes a long way. One spray per panel. I've hardly put a dent in my bottle yet.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I think that is a bit of a red herring. People sometimes talk about the longevity of their sealant being fantastic, and then we find out they use D156 as a drying aid...so are they really seeing that longevity of their LSP, or are they just seeing a week's worth of beading out of D156 between washes?

What I'm saying is I'm not sure I buy the "Optimum Synergy" between Opti-Seal and ONR, how about it's just the ONR and it's going to "maintain" any LSP? I mean I've been using some Four Star conventional wash, and after I use it, my beading is great...if I used it every week, I might think my LSP is lasting indefinitely, when what I'm seeing is the beading from the wash.
    The polymers in ONR are their to help with not marring the paint. Sure they deposit onto the surface to leave a slick surface and shine. But from my personal belief is that the polymers are not meant to be that durable in terms of long lasting protection. If used weekly do they build up over time? Maybe. Or are the previous polymers removed and replaced with new polymers during a follow up ONR wash? Again maybe. Dr. G would be the one to answer that. But if one week the paint is washed with ONR and the following week it is washed with a car shampoo that has no gloss enhancers or wax in it, I suspect those ONR polymers to be gone within a wash or maybe two with a bucket wash.

So I could see the life of opti-seal being extended a bit. Is it going to be that up 9 month claim? Well that is all dependent upon the are one lives in. It could be 3 months, 4 months, etc... Perhaps me living in Southern California where it doesn't rain that much, I will get close to that 9 month mark. But given how easy it is to use opti-seal and the fact that it can be used as a drying aid I don't see me not using more opti-seal

Not everyone is going to be a believer in the "optimum synergy". But this can be said about most product families.

But I will state this. I had my car repainted and I had applied M305 to the paint. I washed the car with ONR 90% of the time and M305's life was not extended. The beading between M305 stand alone and after ONR was indeed different especially towards the end of M305's life. This was based on the beading seen by rain with and without an ONR wash.

Just my $0.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly...I was just trying to say if you use something every week that gives you a week of beading, how do you know what the life of your LSP is?

Post Thanks / Like

You've compared Opti-Seal to Opti-Coat 2.0, but those are two completely different animals, one is a sealant and one is a coating (even if the application is similar). Opti-Seal is the easiest product out of those you have, because it's a WOWA (Wipe On, Walk Away). It really depends on what you are looking for, the Duragloss coating is going to give you the best longevity, it's also going to be the hardest to work with.

The Opti-Seal will be the easiest, the durability might be a bit less than the 105/601 but probably on par with a single application of KSG. Of course the Opti-Seal is real easy to reapply again later, plus you can use it on everything, every surface.
    Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the differences of the two products so I wasn't really comparing the two products as much as having slightly tempered enthusiasm for Opti-Seal. There is definite appeal in the ease of use for the Opti-Seal.

My goal is the best compromise between ease of application and durability. I truly appreciate all of the feedback as it helps in the decision making process and makes for a good discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jowillie View Post
    So why not do a section with each product & combo and let us know what works best. (The DG 105/601 topped with 111/601 has lasted almost a year on one of my black SUVs.)
    I thought about that as well, and that would certainly make me closer to being a true Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    If I were choosing out of only the products you mention, and didn't plan to decontaminate or machine polish first... I'd go for the 105/601 and then refresh it with Opti-seal periodically over the next months. Reasoning- the 105 is a good cleaner. I wouldn't be applying the Enviroshield without appropriate prep work. Same goes for the Klasse.
    The car will be properly cleaned/deconed/polished prior to application of the LSP. I've also considered to the 105/601 combo first and using Opti-Seal as a maintenance product since it seems to be so easy to apply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast