autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: polisher causing swirls help

Quote Originally Posted by DetailTrail View Post
    Was just wondering how much wax do you have on the car already ? Before you tried to use your DA ?
    One of my cars had a few layers of sealant & wax, and a light polish just put swirls in the finish.
    I ended up using Microfiber pads with a Med. compound to cut through all the layers.
    Plus if your DA is an 8mm, it's going to take some time.
    Good Luck sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
    I think you need to use APC to get rid of all the wax and sealant in order to expose the bare clear coat for polishing to make it easier, at least that's what I did before i started polishing. And thank you

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: Turns out I just needed a heavier cut compound and pad. Tried that and used the finishing polish after, results were great, swirl and scratch free. However, now I am faced with another difficulty. I seem to be getting loads of polish dust around the section I'm working on. And so, when moving on to the next section, when wiping off the polish with an mf, I feel like i'm rubbing the polish dust onto the paint and noticed that this is causing towel scratches on the previous sections that i've polished. Anyone here can help out? Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd recommend getting and trying some other compounds and polishes.

Menzerna, SONAX, Wolfgang,

^This will help that problem too.

Nice polishes do not really dust, they just disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, disappear might be a bit of an overstatement, but they don't leave much behind and wipe off easy.

May be an application issue. Too much or little product, over working it and/or to high speed, too much heat, humidity, or lack of, or just not a user friendly product.

Post Thanks / Like

To get dust off I usually just let my MF towel glide over the finish by holding it by two corners on the same side and letting it go over the paint with no pressure. I would not recommend rubbing the dust as it may be the cause of your scratches. I get some dusting with meguiars UC occasionally. Remember, stock up on a few pads of each type. I have 8 green LC pads for compounding and 8 LC finishing pads for the final polish. The reason for so many pads is that after a panel they tend to get clogged up with product and paint. One way to slightly alleviate this is to 'clean your pad on the fly', I do this after each small section I do on a panel by grabbing a cotton terry towel (the SCA brand ones at supercheap are good as they are very inexpensive) and giving the pad a few rub downs. I find it helps a lot with dusting, but it's NOT a substitute for changing pads regularly. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get dusting that means 2 things:

1) you are using too high of a speed and/or too much pressure...you dont need that. The pad and polish gets hot and when it gets hot and when it gets hot it dusts up. Lower speed, less pressure, pad priming and a spritz of QD or water on the pad can help but to be honest there are better polishes out there that dont dust no matter how much you abuse it. OPT hyper polish is one of them. Its also very versatile.
    2) you are polishing for too long. Do 1 or 2 passes then stop, wipe and inspect. Continue if need to.

BTW I never got dusting with Megs UC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123