autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So....should I give Dr. Colorchip a shot---Will it work for this????

So, we have no idea when this happened. By the little curly Q look at the one end of the scratch I'm thinking it's from another vehicle rubbing it and the brakes be applied and the other vehicle rocking. Anyway, unfortunately the whole scratch is a finger nail grabber.

I'm thinking of giving Dr. Colorchip a shot as opposed to the body shop. I think I 'll skip the insurance claim.

I've never used this product but I'm willing to give it a shot if others with more experience think it would be affective. Worse case I just pay out of pocket to a body shop.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Happy new Year to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So....should I give Dr. Colorchip a shot---Will it work for this????-scratch-1-1-jpg   So....should I give Dr. Colorchip a shot---Will it work for this????-scratch-2-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So....should I give Dr. Colorchip a shot---Will it work for this????

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendDIY View Post
    So, we have no idea when this happened. By the little curly Q look at the one end of the scratch I'm thinking it's from another vehicle rubbing it and the brakes be applied and the other vehicle rocking. Anyway, unfortunately the whole scratch is a finger nail grabber.

I'm thinking of giving Dr. Colorchip a shot as opposed to the body shop. I think I 'll skip the insurance claim.

I've never used this product but I'm willing to give it a shot if others with more experience think it would be affective. Worse case I just pay out of pocket to a body shop.

Happy new Year to all.
    You can get it to work. Keep in mind up close you'll still see it, but from 4 or 5 feet away you shouldn't. If you decide your going to go this way I would recommend getting these.
    Griots Garage Touch-Up Paint Applicators, 25 Count

There are also some tricks to make it a little quicker and easier.
    It looks like there is also a small dent your working with??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I think one or two have said way back, that Dr. Colorchip wasn't really ideally suited for dealing with scratches, but I would say that's untrue to a point.

I say this because the Dr C-Chip system is one of the easiest to work with, apply the paint, and it stays put, dries fast, and can be quickly leveled.

I have repaired a small scratch on my junker with it, but I didn't get too anal about it, but as has been mentioned, it will be a lot less visible for sure. The other is that it will protect against having rust occur as I assume this scratch is down to the metal, correct?

The other advantage of just buying the kit, is then having it on hand for future damage. The small bottle can do multiple dozens of chips, and so with the sealact leveling solution.

If you should for say need just an individual item down the road, let's say another bottle of paint for a different vehicle, or are running out of the sealact solution, etc. These can be purchased individually direct from Dr C-Chip.

What you might notice with trying to fill a scratch, is that you'll notice some shrinkage in that the paint may not fill adequately in just one application and leveling of paint.

In that scenario, I would do a first application, get it leveled and all excess paint removed. Then, wait a day or three, come back again and repeat until you build up a number of layers until satisfied.

One beauty of Dr C-Chip. You mess up, simply remove the application with the sealact solution and start over.

Good lighting, like a light on a stand will be an aid to help see good.

One doesn't necessarily have to apply, and then smear like their videos show, you can brush it in also if that seems to work better, wait the required time, then level. For a scratch, probably the best method to level such would be to rub lightly perpendicular to the scratch, not with it.

The learning curves will be how long to wait before coming behind to level-smooth, and this can vary a little bit due to temps applied. But usually the range is about 4-10 minutes on average.

To level, you start with a slightly firmer pressure to begin to remove the excess, but then as you go, you then use less and less pressure with each following wipe, until at the very end when it looks like you are almost perfect, only just very lightly move the little towel across the paint with no pressure, and let the solution do the work without any pressure applied.

And as I said, if, say a week later, it should look like it shrunk, no harm, no foul to apply another coat or two. just degrease first if you've applied a wax-sealant.

Hope this helps.

4. Likes 6od liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I think one or two have said way back, that Dr. Colorchip wasn't really ideally suited for dealing with scratches, but I would say that's untrue to a point.

I say this because the Dr C-Chip system is one of the easiest to work with, apply the paint, and it stays put, dries fast, and can be quickly leveled.

I have repaired a small scratch on my junker with it, but I didn't get too anal about it, but as has been mentioned, it will be a lot less visible for sure. The other is that it will protect against having rust occur as I assume this scratch is down to the metal, correct?

The other advantage of just buying the kit, is then having it on hand for future damage. The small bottle can do multiple dozens of chips, and so with the sealact leveling solution.

If you should for say need just an individual item down the road, let's say another bottle of paint for a different vehicle, or are running out of the sealact solution, etc. These can be purchased individually direct from Dr C-Chip.

What you might notice with trying to fill a scratch, is that you'll notice some shrinkage in that the paint may not fill adequately in just one application and leveling of paint.

In that scenario, I would do a first application, get it leveled and all excess paint removed. Then, wait a day or three, come back again and repeat until you build up a number of layers until satisfied.

One beauty of Dr C-Chip. You mess up, simply remove the application with the sealact solution and start over.
    Good lighting, like a light on a stand will be an aid to help see good.

One doesn't necessarily have to apply, and then smear like their videos show, you can brush it in also if that seems to work better, wait the required time, then level. For a scratch, probably the best method to level would be to rub lightly perpendicular to the scratch, not with it.

The learning curves will be how long to wait before coming behind to level-smooth, and this can vary a little bit due to temps applied. But usually the range is about 4-10 minutes on average.

To level, you start with a slightly firmer pressure to begin to remove the excess, but then as you go, you then use less and less pressure with each following wipe, until at the very end when it looks like you are almost perfect, only just very lightly move the little towel across the paint with no pressure, and let the solution do the work without any pressure applied.

And as I said, if, say a week later, it should look like it shrunk, no harm, no foul to apply another coat or two. just degrease first if you've applied a wax-sealant.

Hope this helps.
    I agree with this. I've used it and if you're not too anal about it, it will suffice. Don't expect a miracle. I know where the scratch is even if no one else does. You can see it if you look for it. I'm glad I tried it and I do have it if I need to fix a chip down the road. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

This is also a good scratch to use the squeegee on that they offer for the kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendDIY View Post

Happy new Year to all.
    me personally if it's a fairly new car just paint it and be done with it.

Mike Phillips

What kind of car?
    What year?
    How many miles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What kind of car?
    What year?
    How many miles?

Hey Mike,

2015 Nissan Murano

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So....should I give Dr. Colorchip a shot---Will it work for this????-0530161023b-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely paint it now.maybe just try it out and see if it suits you and inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a lot with Dr Colorchip. Usually on the newer colors they are very very close. Dr Colorchip was very helpful with a project I had. Matching the color on a 72 VW was a challenge. They ended up having me take several pictures of the paint then sent me paint. It was still way too dark so they sent a bottle of white so I could mix it. It's still a little off, if you look at post 16 you can see that Dr Colorchip can be used for a lot more than tiny stone chips. They were also very helpful with tips on making this project go faster.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-langka-2.html
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast