autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Managing/controlling compound residue when using compressed air

Hey guys, from my personal experience, using a compressed air gun is the best way to clean my pads (both foam and microfiber) when I'm working on a correction job. Since I work on mostly single stage paint by the time I'm finished I'll have compound residue the color of the paint all over the floor. I lay down a large terry towel and attempt to blow most of the residue onto the towel but I've realized over the years that there is still a ton of spent residue that goes everywhere. I work in a pretty clean automotive museum in kansas city and I'm at the point where I've realized I need to figure out a better way of collecting my spent compound/polish residue.

My residue dilemma and thoughts about finding a solution are....

1. I do not feel like the method where you hold a towel against the pad and turn on the polisher. I just do not feel it's able to remove the residue as efficiently as a compressed air blow tool
    2. I'm not interested in a pad washer because even a slightly damp pad on a rotary will sling water everywhere
    3. Detailer's are creative so I'm hoping that there's someone out there who has found a solution. I was thinking I could just blow my spent residue into a 5 gallon bucket which would be an improvement in the amount of residue I am getting on the floors and cars, but it certainly isn't going to catch everything.
    4. My final thought was maybe I could get a cheap shop vac and instead of blowing out my pads, I could for instance turn my rotary polisher on at about 1000 rpms and run a vacuum nozzle over the face of the pad to collect some of the spent residue....if anyone has tried this I'd be interested in hearing what your experience was.

Thanks in advance for those of you willing to take the time to help me resolve this problem!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Managing/controlling compound residue when using compressed air

You're on the right track with the 5 gallon bucket idea... I'm not sure exactly where I saw the "hack" but it involved a 5 gallon bucket along with some sort of spray along the walls of the bucket which allowed it to become sticky enough to grab hold of all the dust and hold onto it so it doesn't blow out of the bucket. I wish I could remember exactly where I saw it because it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Managing/controlling compound residue when using compressed air

ahhh, I'd didn't think of that but what great idea!! I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

•Since you don't use the:
    "Cleaning pads on the fly" method...
    -It sounds like you need more pads.

IMO:
    •It'd be easier to change-out the
    pads more often...(and then wait
    to clean the dirtied-ones up when
    you're away from the museum)...
    -than having to take the extra time
    and efforts to clean up any messes
    before you leave for the day.

After all:
    It's been said that time is money.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Since you don't use the:
    "Cleaning pads on the fly" method...
    -It sounds like you need more pads.

IMO:
    •It'd be easier to change-out the
    pads more often...(and then wait
    to clean the dirtied-ones up when
    you're away from the museum)...
    -than having to take the extra time
    and efforts to clean up any messes
    before you leave for the day.

After all:
    It's been said that time is money.

Bob
    I strongly disagree with that.^
    If you've ever buffed a vehicle out and had the option of having compressed air by your side you immediately find out how much better it improves your polishing experience.. Instead of cleaning on the fly with a brush, towel, or both you can simply blow your pad [foam or microfiber] nearly 100% clean after every section pass and it only takes seconds to do. There's no other way that even comes close to working as clean as that. It's such a better way to do it.

The only thing that would beat it would be to change out to a brand new pad after every section pass.. And I don't know anyone who's got that kind of time or OCD.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A video featuring Kevin Brown showed a contraption he devised using a small plastic office-type trash can. A hole was drilled in the bottom the same size as the shop vac hose and the hose was sealed into the hole with duct tape. Turn the trash can on its side, flick on the vac, then with the polisher inside the trash can, blow out the pad with compressed air as normal. Shop vac sucks in all the residue which is contained by the trash can. He was in the same type of environment you are, surrounded by other high-end cars and he couldn't afford to be blowing residue everywhere. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

My compressor is a noisy beast and I hate using it.

I'll brush my microfiber pads out for dry compounds, and wipe them off with a microfiber towel for wet products.

Once they give up the ghost, I retire them for the project, and wash them once home, kind of like Bob mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    A video featuring Kevin Brown showed a contraption he devised using a small plastic office-type trash can. A hole was drilled in the bottom the same size as the shop vac hose and the hose was sealed into the hole with duct tape. Turn the trash can on its side, flick on the vac, then with the polisher inside the trash can, blow out the pad with compressed air as normal. Shop vac sucks in all the residue which is contained by the trash can. He was in the same type of environment you are, surrounded by other high-end cars and he couldn't afford to be blowing residue everywhere. Hope that helps.
    I was going to suggest the old hold the vacuum hose between your knees, or clamp it down to a bench or cart, but the "vacuum chamber" sounds better and just like something Kevin Brown would come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a tornador blow out gun works really well and helps contain the dust to a significantly smaller area because most of it ends up stuck inside the cone.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    That's basically what I was thinking. A vacuum (or if you want larger - an exhaust fan - with cleanable filter) & make a mini "spray booth" exhaust system. It doesn't have to vent to the outside though.

If you move cars to a detailing bay, that would be easiest. If it has to be portable, then size DOES matter!

HTH!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast