autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still crazy about D114

I've put in for an NIH grant on that one, Bob.

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I've put in for an NIH grant
    on that one, Bob.
    So this was just a bunch of crazy talk:
    ...since I am a scientist
    and an academician

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Junior Member Matt@flyingchipmunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea they axed D114 until right now, ugh. It's still my go-to rinseless pre-polish product. Glad I still have a few gallons that will last a while but that sucks. What's next D108??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@flyingchipmunk View Post
    I had no idea they axed D114 until right now, ugh. It's still my go-to rinseless pre-polish product. Glad I still have a few gallons that will last a while but that sucks. What's next D108??
    There's a new product that AG will be releasing soon that will make you very happy if you love D114.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Junior Member Matt@flyingchipmunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    There's a new product that AG will be releasing soon that will make you very happy if you love D114.

I was just reading up on it. I love D114 for it's purpose, glad to see something else will be (attempting) to fill it's shoes

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars is a big company - relative to the other detailing companies. If you look at it from their marketing perspective and purely from a P&L perspective...

This:
    Attachment 54382

Is competing with this:
    Attachment 54383

For this guy and gal:
    Attachment 54384

Who takes his car here:
    Attachment 54385

Smaller companies with perhaps less overhead can bring you the 114 varieties of the "D114" washes that you want, but Meguiars presumably has a different bottom line in their much broader market.

Sent via my mobile device...
    why would the average joe need car soap if they go to the local auto wash? why would megs get rid of a "rinseless wash" product to boost sales of a "car soap" when they already have 4 other "car soaps" they could have axed?

Post Thanks / Like

Still crazy about D114

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    why would the average joe need car soap if they go to the local auto wash? why would megs get rid of a "rinseless wash" product to boost sales of a "car soap" when they already have 4 other "car soaps" they could have axed?
    The average Joe needs a car wash soap the same way I don't know squat about MMA, yet I enjoy watching Ronda Roosie getting her butt kicked. Lol. Average Joe also needs some Armor All Protectant and a pine tree air freshener.Still crazy about D114

Meguiars didn't get rid of D114 in order to boost sales of any of their other car washes... What he's saying is that compared to some of their fast moving products i.e. Gold Class Car Wash, Megs Clay Kit, Ultimate Wash & Wax Soap, etc...

D114 simply didn't generate enough movement for them to continue producing it. That same energy and space that D114 took to produce could clear way for future plans and innovative hot selling products that both average Joe and knowledgeable detailers alike can buy on a regular basis. Win win for everyone.Still crazy about D114Still crazy about D114

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'd argue that those so called polymers do a greater job of breaking down lsp's. IMO whenever a product does it's work to leave it's own distinctive behavior on the surface or on top of another lsp, it doesn't just lay on top without disturbing, but it removes a bit of the lsp while it decides to squat on top of it... Remember what the directions on the bottle of Rejex said? Solvents, polymers, etc... You either want them, or in the case of D114, you don't.
    D114 is much more aggressive than is ONR. D114 will attack permanent marker on a bottle. D115 is the only other non-degreaser product I have seen do this.

This aggressiveness is what makes D114 such a great cleaner, especially with bonded contaminates. Other rinseless cleaners I have used pale in raw cleaning power. Lack of self drying aid is the main downside. I think ONR is much easier to use for a typical wash product.

D114's original purpose was for use in body shops to decontaminate panels that come in, and leave nothing to interfere with new paint.

Post Thanks / Like

N914 is now here!

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What he's saying is that compared to some of their fast moving products i.e. Gold Class Car Wash, Megs Clay Kit, Ultimate Wash & Wax Soap, etc...

D114 simply didn't generate enough movement for them to continue producing it.
    Precisely.

AG and the detailing community is a small section of the population at large that washes its own car, and that section of people is smaller than those people that simply take their cars to the swirlomatic. That's never going to change.

D114 is (was) a niche product. A money loser at worst or at best, cost neutral...I suspect. If it were profitable as they balance the books, D114 would still be on the shelves.

But, McKees is here and probably will be ultimately seen as a better product.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast