autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reason I won't use a coating again

Sorry to go slightly off-topic: but, as someone who has to submit those claims for customers who bought that dealer installed coating and protection package-That company will warranty anything that can be corrected with regular detailing techniques. They do not cover the obvious chips, scratches, and dents. I have had success only once with that company to have them warranty where bird poop etched through into and through the clear coat, and they paid me to repaint that portion of the customers car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    Sorry to go slightly off-topic: but, as someone who has to submit those claims for customers who bought that dealer installed coating and protection package-That company will warranty anything that can be corrected with regular detailing techniques. They do not cover the obvious chips, scratches, and dents. I have had success only once with that company to have them warranty where bird poop etched through into and through the clear coat, and they paid me to repaint that portion of the customers car.
    Too funny, that was the rest of my conversation yesterday, was that what he was getting was simply a sealant that wasn't going to significantly protect against bird poop, but that they might polish it for him if he got an etch. However, I am impressed that they actually warrantied a repaint. Are you saying you tried on multiple occasions to get them to cover an etch-thru, but they only covered it once? Or that the one time you tried they covered it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Too funny, that was the rest of my conversation yesterday, was that what he was getting was simply a sealant that wasn't going to significantly protect against bird poop, but that they might polish it for him if he got an etch. However, I am impressed that they actually warrantied a repaint. Are you saying you tried on multiple occasions to get them to cover an etch-thru, but they only covered it once? Or that the one time you tried they covered it?
    That was one of three times that I tried. I had just taken over as manager at that time and they made an exception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    The particles that come off of your brakes are indeed very hot. Its mainly on the wheel wells (quarter panel) areas. Along with rocker panels and back bumper.

I am very confident that the contrast in temperature from the brake particles versus the painted panels is allowing these particles to easily bond. I never see this in the warm month's. 2 weeks into winter and cold temps, snow, road salt, and its there. I am meticulous with my vehicles and paint was 100%.
    Perhaps, your statement about temperature differences is also affected by the addition of road salt? Maybe, the road salt just makes the iron deposits show more quickly?
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. I don't see that kit, or anything called that, but if you are talking about the Infinite Diamond Shield...just looking at the directions where it says apply a section at a time but don't have to go back to buff off the residue until after the entire car is "coated", would sensibly put this product into a different category than the pro-only coatings, or the other common retail coatings such as Gloss-Coat, CQuartz, or even the DG coating, where if you don't remove a high spot immediately, it's there for good (until you polish it off). Sounds a lot like Sonus Ion.
    Garry used to "Push," Sonus products in some YT videos, awhile ago. I forget the parent company's name, but they allow you to formulate your own product using their chemicals.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    You ever hear those snow plows and graders going down the road... blades scraping on the pavement, block after block, mile after mile. I'm always thinking about the number of iron particles left behind. Millions and millions of them-- combined with some melt water and the chemicals they use-- splashed up on the rockers and then drying in the sun or in the garage. We know how much "grit" adheres- we see it. And then we re-wet it next time out. And it often dries again. It's a pretty noxious mix. I would lean toward this being the majority of the cause of adhering iron particles, but hard to know for sure. Dry panels in the summer time (and no "fresh iron" source) would certainly be less prone to particle adhesion.
    There's a fellow who made a video about collecting (sweeping) road dirt, off the sides of an interstate, and refining it down to collect the platinum deposits from catalytic converters, just to prove that it could be done. Now, the refined platinum amount was very tiny, however, the test verified that there is more on the road than what meets the eye.
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

P

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post
    Get you some gloss coat, a year and a half on my ride and even when it's dirty people notice my glossReason I won't use a coating again

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I have the same opinion.

Still look good and easy to clean (as per the advertised results).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My fence is terrible, there is still a rabbit getting into my garden.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll report back if he tells me what the fine print says.
    Oops, I forgot to report back on this...he couldn't find the warranty with the fine print (and he just got the car! so much for making that warranty claim in the future!), but he brought me the Simoniz Glasscoat brochure, and I went to the website. If the video on the website has any relation to what they actually did to the car, it DOES look like it's some sort of SiO2 coating, I mean it was in a dark glass bottle, and it DID look like a coating being applied.

The car did feel like it had something on it...which of course would make me suspicious because a real SiO2 or SiC coating wouldn't feel like a sealant. Anyway, at least I'll be able to observe this "coating" for a while.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast