autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Coating Question for Detailers

I want to coat my car, Lexus IS200t Ultra White, but I can't make up my mind. I have been searching for days but most reviews/comments are from customers not Pro Detailers. The products I have searched so far are the , CQUK, CQFinest, Opti-Coat, Modesta and Ceramic Pro. Below is a summary of what Detailers have told me and info found online.

CQUK - $500* Very popular and very similar to Finest but no warranty. Only lasts 2 years. Face of wheel coated.
    CQFinest - $1000* popular for it's "better" gloss. Offers a warranty. Only lasts 2 years. Face of wheel coated.
    Ceramic Pro - $? Uses 2 layers but top layer that gives gloss gets scratched easily according to detailer. Don't know much of the product.
    Opti-Coat Pro/Pro+ - $1000/$1200* Pro+ provides UV protection but have heard people experiencing water spot issues. Offers warranty and last 5 years.
    Modesta - $1500 Surprisingly I cant find info (reviews) on this product. Its suppose to be the "best". No warranty. Price includes paint correction and whole wheel coated.

*$200 paint correction (based on car paint condition)

Detailer I spoke with have worked with all of the above, but stopped using Opti coat because it was giving him some problems (yellowing, water spotting). Now, what I think:

CQUK - Like the price but having to pay every 2 years $500-700 is going to end costing more than the more expensive coatings
    CQFinest - If is practically the same product then its not even worth considering due to the higher price tag
    Ceramic Pro - From what the detailer told me he didn't sound too convinced about the product
    Modesta - For the price it seems this is the way to go as it includes the paint correction ($200) and coating the whole wheel ($400), so the coating only costs $900, but handing $1500 in one shot is something hard to do.

What I have been trying to find out is, do they really last what each company claims? CQUK 2 years, Finest 2 years, CP ?, Modesta 3-10 years (according to their website) How realistic are these numbers? Are car really lasting 5 years? Why I cant find proof of that?

Any Detailers on here that have worked with these coating or any other "pro" (no over the counter) coating, what are your thoughts? Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Question for Detailers

What about getting it wrapped instead off coated?

Post Thanks / Like

Wayyyyy too expensive $7k plus

Sent from my SM-G920T using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marchese_alexander View Post
    I want to coat my car, Lexus IS200t Ultra White, but I can't make up my mind. I have been searching for days but most reviews/comments are from customers not Pro Detailers. The products I have searched so far are the , CQUK, CQFinest, Opti-Coat, Modesta and Ceramic Pro. Below is a summary of what Detailers have told me and info found online.

CQUK - $500* Very popular and very similar to Finest but no warranty. Only lasts 2 years. Face of wheel coated.
    CQFinest - $1000* popular for it's "better" gloss. Offers a warranty. Only lasts 2 years. Face of wheel coated.
    Ceramic Pro - $? Uses 2 layers but top layer that gives gloss gets scratched easily according to detailer. Don't know much of the product.
    Opti-Coat Pro/Pro+ - $1000/$1200* Pro+ provides UV protection but have heard people experiencing water spot issues. Offers warranty and last 5 years.
    Modesta - $1500 Surprisingly I cant find info (reviews) on this product. Its suppose to be the "best". No warranty. Price includes paint correction and whole wheel coated.

*$200 paint correction (based on car paint condition)

Detailer I spoke with have worked with all of the above, but stopped using Opti coat because it was giving him some problems (yellowing, water spotting). Now, what I think:

CQUK - Like the price but having to pay every 2 years $500-700 is going to end costing more than the more expensive coatings
    CQFinest - If is practically the same product then its not even worth considering due to the higher price tag
    Ceramic Pro - From what the detailer told me he didn't sound too convinced about the product
    Modesta - For the price it seems this is the way to go as it includes the paint correction ($200) and coating the whole wheel ($400), so the coating only costs $900, but handing $1500 in one shot is something hard to do.

What I have been trying to find out is, do they really last what each company claims? CQUK 2 years, Finest 2 years, CP ?, Modesta 3-10 years (according to their website) How realistic are these numbers? Are car really lasting 5 years? Why I cant find proof of that?

Any Detailers on here that have worked with these coating or any other "pro" (no over the counter) coating, what are your thoughts? Thanks!!!
    All these coatings require maintenance boosters and the car has to be washed with care so you don't accelerate the coating deterioration.I don't know how inclined you are when it comes to carcare,but I assume you can wipe on and wipe off I say do it yourself.Glosscoat is so easy to work with and virtually you just can't screw it up.cq uk is a little tacky and I don't see 2 years personally out of it nor pretty much any of them you listed 2 to 5 years is a stretch.for something to last that long you would have to maintain your car every week.pinnacle mckees Glosscoat Wolfgang uber these are some of the coatings that are user friendly and sold to the public.save your cash and do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

200.00 for paintcorrection seems kinda low btw.

Post Thanks / Like

There are numerous members on here who swear by polish angel,it's supposed to be a great outstanding product and there coating system is so so easy.Not cheap check it out though.

Post Thanks / Like

We offer Gyeon, Kamakaze, and Modesta. In my opinion Modesta would be the one. I don't think anything looks better and is easier to take care of. Had it on mine for almost 8 months and still looks great! And 1500 is a great price!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    All these coatings require maintenance boosters and the car has to be washed with care so you don't accelerate the coating deterioration.I don't know how inclined you are when it comes to carcare,but I assume you can wipe on and wipe off I say do it yourself.Glosscoat is so easy to work with and virtually you just can't screw it up.cq uk is a little tacky and I don't see 2 years personally out of it nor pretty much any of them you listed 2 to 5 years is a stretch.for something to last that long you would have to maintain your car every week.pinnacle mckees Glosscoat Wolfgang uber these are some of the coatings that are user friendly and sold to the public.save your cash and do it yourself.
    According to the detailer they don't need boosters only proper maintenance. I would do it myself but I dont have a garage.

"I don't see 2 years personally out of it nor pretty much any of them you listed 2 to 5 years is a stretch" ... do you speak from experience? Cause that's the thing people comment base on whatever they think not from actual proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    We offer Gyeon, Kamakaze, and Modesta. In my opinion Modesta would be the one. I don't think anything looks better and is easier to take care of. Had it on mine for almost 8 months and still looks great! And 1500 is a great price!
    have you seen Modesta last what they claim, up to 10 years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marchese_alexander View Post
    have you seen Modesta last what they claim, up to 10 years?
    Understand that detailing product durability is all theoretical... this goes for coatings, waxes, sealants... heck, even tire shine.

There are so many variables to take into consideration that it is nearly impossible to determine how the product you select may or may not perform over a given period of time. That is why there are so many options and so many opinions... what might have worked well for one person, may not have been as good for another.

Also, please understand that with coating durability claims, this does not mean that all of the initial properties of the coating will remain in tact throughout the claimed lifespan. Properties like surface tension, which directly translate to the ability of the coating to repel water, dirt, etc. are usually the first to begin to diminish overtime as the coating becomes contaminated and various cleaners (which contain surfactants) are used over and over and over again. This is why it is now common practice to use a "booster" to maintain hydrophobic properties. The actual base layer of the coating which provides the sacrificial barrier from the elements should last an incredibly long time. Yes, even the coatings that have a 2 year warranty (ie CQuartz Finest) can outlive that by a long shot. Again, water beading does not indicate if a coating is present or not... there is truly no way to know if a coating is 'still there'.

Another thing to consider is that most vehicles will benefit from being polished every 1-3 years depending on how it is maintained, the environment it lives in, the color of the car, etc. When I say polished, I do not mean corrected... once your vehicle is in good shape, it should never need true paint correction... but a light machine polish every 1-3 years will ensure your paint is as glossy as possible. This polishing process will remove, or at least partially remove, the coating layer at which point a new coating will need to be applied. This is the reason I tend to not pay much attention to coating durability claims past 3 years... I know that in order to keep the vehicle looking its best, the coating will be removed and replaced within the first 3 years.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast