autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Prepping a brand new car for the winter.

So we just bought a black (I know) 17 GTI. It came equipped with swirl marks and bird poop etching from the dealer, which Im pretty sure I paid extra for.

Ive never detailed a brand new car before and wanted to make sure i didn't do anything I shouldn't, and that I knew what pads I need to use for which product.

I recently purchased:
    Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400

Menzerna Super Finish (SF-3500)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax

My plan was to start with SF3500. What color pad should I use? Im using a PorterCable. Proceeding to the Wolfgang. Can I use two coats? Adding the Color Lock on top.

I also have some Dodo Juice Purple Haze PRO Soft Wax that I use on my other car. Should I layer that on top of the Color Lock? Or are they going to cancel each other out.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prepping a brand new car for the winter.

There is nothing different about doing a brand new car than a used car. My used car has less swirls than some brand new ones, so the number of swirls doesn't necessarily relate to age. Just use whatever process you have found works on any other car for the type of damage you are trying to correct.

I would definitely go with the Wolfgang sealant. That looks awesome on black. Two coats would look really awesome. I would stop there and just leave it at 2 coats and don't top it with anything else. Wolfgang doesn't need a 'topper' and in my experience nothing enhances the look of Wolfgang except more Wolfgang.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

SF3500 topped with WGDGPS is all you need. I didn't find a second coat of WGDGPS to add anything extra in looks or gloss terms but more for complete coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty View Post
    My plan was to start with SF3500.
    What color pad should I use?
    I'd start out with Lake Country’s
    Finishing Pads for the "Test Spot".

Proceeding to the Wolfgang.
    Can I use two coats?
    Adding the Color Lock on top.

I also have some
    Dodo Juice Purple Haze PRO Soft Wax
    that I use on my other car.
    Should I layer that on top of the Color Lock?
    I'll suggest you start out with applying
    one coat of Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Paint
    Sealant (WDGPS)...and see how you like
    it...before applying any toppers.

•Note:
    -Except for applying two coats of
    WDGPS, 12-24 hrs apart...[the
    concept of "even (total) coverage"]...

I've never seen the need
    to ever top WDGPS.

-But my eyes are old; YMMV.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCDetails View Post
    There is nothing different about doing a brand new car than a used car. My used car has less swirls than some brand new ones, so the number of swirls doesn't necessarily relate to age. Just use whatever process you have found works on any other car for the type of damage you are trying to correct.

I would definitely go with the Wolfgang sealant. That looks awesome on black. Two coats would look really awesome. I would stop there and just leave it at 2 coats and don't top it with anything else. Wolfgang doesn't need a 'topper' and in my experience nothing enhances the look of Wolfgang except more Wolfgang.
    Agree, new car/used car no particular difference in process. Want to add, no particular difference in prepping a car for winter vs. non-winter. I live in Wisconsin, not sure winter is any harder on a finish than summer. No bird droppings, no sap, no bugs, no baking sun, what's to worry? Also, never saw the point in applying a wax on top of a sealant. Sealants are so good now - apply it and be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you decontaminate first. You'll be amazed at how much crap comes off the paint and wheels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Make sure you decontaminate first. You'll be amazed at how much crap comes off the paint and wheels.

Product in particular? I usually do ironx and then light clay at if needed.

I havent used used an actual "paint cleaner" for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

So we just bought a black (I know) 17 GTI. It came equipped with swirl marks and bird poop etching from the dealer, which Im pretty sure I paid extra for.

Ive never detailed a brand new car before and wanted to make sure i didn't do anything I shouldn't, and that I knew what pads I need to use for which product.

I recently purchased:
    Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400

Menzerna Super Finish (SF-3500)

Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax

My plan was to start with SF3500. What color pad should I use? Im using a PorterCable. Proceeding to the Wolfgang. Can I use two coats? Adding the Color Lock on top.

I also have some Dodo Juice Purple Haze PRO Soft Wax that I use on my other car. Should I layer that on top of the Color Lock? Or are they going to cancel each other out.

Thanks!
    I doubt you'd need to compound it. IMO people jump to compounding way to quickly when in fact most swirls can easily be removed with a great polish and the proper pad. Especially on a new car that has little to no exposure to poor washing and drying techniques. Remember to go easy on your new baby. Just saying.

Personally, my process for new car preps is:

Wash
    Iron-X
    Nano/Clay
    Polish then seal/coat or use an AIO.

Based on what you shared and have I would say SF3500 with either a white or green pad if you need a bit more bite as VW/Audi clear is tough. For winter I would top it with 1-2 coats of Collinite 476.

Just my two cents. Congrats on the new car BTW!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

That works. The explorer I recently did a write up about wasn't new, but it was shipped here after being purchased at auction. I don't know where GTIs are produced, but I would imagine there is a ton of fallout on it if it's shipped from overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    That works. The explorer I recently did a write up about wasn't new, but it was shipped here after being purchased at auction. I don't know where GTIs are produced, but I would imagine there is a ton of fallout on it if it's shipped from overseas.
    MK7 GTI's like that one are built in Mexico, so there could be a lot or rail dust or simply embedded grim from riding on a train/truck. I would HIGHLY encourage claying the car before polishing.

I too took delivery of a brand new, black, GTI, although mine was a MK6 and I picked it up a little over three years ago. If VW has stayed true to form with their paint, even though the car is not build in North America (mine was the last of the German built GTI's to be sold in NA), the paint will be quite hard.

Like Bob mentioned, you really need to do a test spot. I use the Blackfire "twins" on my car. The SRC Polish is similar to your 3500 and I believe the SRC Compound is more like Mezerna's 2500. It isn't nearly as aggressive as 400. In order to do a one-step polish job before applying LSP, I found I needed to either use a more aggressive LC Orange Flat pad with the SRC Polish, or an LC White Pad with the SRC Compound to get take on anything other than the lightest of swirls. Start with your polish, and play around with pad combinations. I agree with pdqgp that a full-on heavy compounding of the car is highly unlikely. I'd keep the 400 in a glass box with one of those those, "break in case of emergency" signs on it. Good to have on hand, but only use it if REALLY needed. You should be able to get good results without having to go that aggressive.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast