autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

..... It's not Carpros fault.. It's my own fault, for not fully following the directions on the label of Mckee's Paint Coating. I should know better. I'm just a little frustrated over the results. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Where's that from? Facebook or something? That's neat, however I'm not on Facebook, I've never even clicked on that site, ever.
    Yes from detailing for dummies.

Post Thanks / Like

To confuse you even more:

Product Review: CarPro Essence (Initial Impressions) | Ask a Pro Blog

I never wiped down or waited before applying McKee's on my vehicles or any that I've done and they are all going strong. I like Zach McGovern and the information he provides and have yet to find anything he's noted to be bad information.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to use Eraser but what exactly would it be removing from Essence and the properties it offers that would warrant doing so? Paging Zach for his input
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

Here's what my hood looked like this morning, 5 days since I applied sealant to the right, and Mckee's Coating to the left. It rained 2 out of the 5 days and the I haven't touched either side since the moment I applied both products on Friday.

I'm honestly a bit shocked at the results so far. I knew the sealant was good, but it's become like 1 of those brutal boxing matches that needs to be stopped... Like when Manny Pacquiao fought Oscar De La Hoya, or Larry Holmes faced Muhammad Ali. It's getting unfair and ugly. Lol.

The sealant side is still fairly clean. The coating side however, is riddled with large water spots [who knows if they'll effortlessly wipe off at this point]. It's also collected many times more dust and dirt than the sealant side.

I don't know what to think, other than the polishing gods love to screw with me and the 1% chance has presented itself to me once again. Thank You polishing gods! #%^*+ lol.

Now here's the stupid questions: What the heck can I do to fix this? Please tell me it's a simple fix? Can I just try it again and re apply?

Btw, the trunk looks just as bad, if not worse.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Prep is key with coatings. When in doubt follow the manufacturers recommendation and start from there.

Perhaps you have proven that essence doesn't play well with McKee'e 37 coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quik question about Mckee's Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Prep is key with coatings. When in doubt follow the manufacturers recommendation and start from there.

Perhaps you have proven that essence doesn't play well with McKee'e 37 coating.
    You know what's interesting? There's that long thread on the sister site that someone bumped a couple days ago talking about Essence and 5-6 coatings... I'm glad someone bumped it because I had never seen it till a couple days ago. As I looked at the dudes results I couldn't help but shake my head at the poor excuse for beading he was displaying for each and every coating... IMO, after seeing those results I could only come to a couple honest conclusions: Either the beading on all 6 of those coatings is the greatest hype to ever hit the detailing world, or every single person who initially replied to that thread is a victim of todays PC society where they're either in denial, or too polite or afraid to speak the truth, because that beading was nowhere near what the pinnacle of beading could and should be.... True or not?

That's why I think osiapstndp gets props for keeping it real and calling it straight up the way he saw it earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to beading/sheeting I found McKee's 37 to be a dead ringer for Collinite 845. In fact, from a looks perspective, I'd put them on par with each other as well. In both cases this isn't a bad thing, it's just not what I expected.

The big reason I went with the coating was to get into an annual LSP application cycle vs a semiannual cycle. I was hoping for some magical beading/sheeting with the McKee's, but frankly I'm happy with the results. I wonder if some times people like a product(s) and they see more into it than what is actually there.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised at what your hood looks like after five days. I've been staring at my little bottle of McKee's 37 paint coating for a long time, but keep putting it off. Maybe too much of the Essence product was left behind? I recall talking to Corey at CarPro USA about whether or not it is necessary to use CarPro Eraser after Essence. He mentioned that if Essence isn't "worked in" fully it is helpful to wipe down the surface to remove residual oil and such. Perhaps that's the case with your hood and deck lid?

I'm not an expert with Essence, but I read that a little bit goes a long way - three drops or so is enough to prime your pad and afterward around two drops for each section. Upon following that suggestion I notice that Essence is easier to remove and the surface doesn't feel "tacky." Additionally, I no longer use Essence as an all-in-one - instead it is used to perfect the finish before application of CQuartz.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what my hood looked like this morning, 5 days since I applied sealant to the right, and Mckee's Coating to the left. It rained 2 out of the 5 days and the I haven't touched either side since the moment I applied both products on Friday.

I'm honestly a bit shocked at the results so far. I knew the sealant was good, but it's become like 1 of those brutal boxing matches that needs to be stopped... Like when Manny Pacquiao fought Oscar De La Hoya, or Larry Holmes faced Muhammad Ali. It's getting unfair and ugly. Lol.

The sealant side is still fairly clean. The coating side however, is riddled with large water spots [who knows if they'll effortlessly wipe off at this point]. It's also collected many times more dust and dirt than the sealant side.

I don't know what to think, other than the polishing gods love to screw with me and the 1% chance has presented itself to me once again. Thank You polishing gods! #%^*+ lol.

Now here's the stupid questions: What the heck can I do to fix this? Please tell me it's a simple fix? Can I just try it again and re apply?

My friend I have not idea what to make of the situation you are facing. I will say that CarPro Spotless is an amazing product and I use it on lot of vehicles I see come to me for just basic clean up / washes. I've also used it on my car when it got caught with spots due to a hose this past summer.

Overall though you've seen the previous posted pics of my wife's van with rain all over it. Well, I've still yet to ever wash it since those pics thus it's nearly 3 weeks and if she hadn't taken off for some errands I'd snap a pic of it for posting right now as it resembles the right side of your shot. Seriously, it's still looking great and it rained several times this week too. I'll get a shot of hers later today as she's home before it gets dark out.

My insight to you would be to look at just simply giving it a wash, rinseless would work even and post back what the results are. If you use a hose it would also be interesting to see the beading. Just looking at your initial pics of water beading it didn't look like the coated vehicles I've done where when left to bead the water does so like a soldier standing at attention.

Here's a video I did weeks ago of our van after just a basic wash. Car had been coated for several weeks. See if your hood performs simliarly. My base coat on the van was NOT Essence either. My car was but not hers. Hers was HD Adapt.

https://youtu.be/Y7_gJjuGjq8

I will post up a pic of my car that was in 2 days of rain. The reason being mine looks great too and has a base of Essence topped with two coats of McKee's. STay tuned.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not surprised to see this.

Essence was developed by CarPro for CarPro coatings. While some have successfully used Essence with other manufacturer's coatings, I've personally haven't had much luck using it with McKee's 37.

I would re-polish the area and apply McKee's 37 Paint Coating per the directions on the bottle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast