autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crystal Serum Light

Great info Zach thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

How long has CSL been on the market? I just started using it this year for a headlight coating after restoration. I read it is supposed to last 3-5 years so I'm wondering if anyone has used it for that many years?

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I have been testing CSL for a while now, with our longest test panel approaching 6 months of abuse. The panel has been washed just twice in the 6 months (most recently last week), and the coating is still as hydrophobic as it was on day 1. Pretty impressive given the circumstances.

I also have CSL applied to the hood of my personal vehicle which is maintained to the highest level and it is performing perfectly, as expected.

To be perfectly honest, CSL is our favorite consumer grade coating on the market right now. The slickness is off the chart, application is a breeze once you get the hang of it, and the protection seems to be on par with any other coating out there.

As far as the 5 year durability, you will notice that GTechniq does mention that in order to maintain hydrophobic properties for such a duration, the coating may need to be topped either with a spray sealant like C2 or with another coating like EXO. However, as we know, water beading is not a representation of actual protection... without opening a can of worms, I'll just say that most vehicles can benefit from a light polish every 1-3 years depending on how they are used, therefore I personally don't pay much attention to coating durability claims past the 3 year mark.

I would highly recommend checking out CSL if you're looking for a new coating to try... you can find my "Initial Impressions" article on the DI Ask-A-Pro Blog.
    If you had to compare CSL to Opti-Gloss, which do you think would have more durability? I'm trying to decide between these two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    If you had to compare CSL to Opti-Gloss, which do you think would have more durability? I'm trying to decide between these two.

Crystal Serum Light without question. I was not overly impressed with my Gloss Coat tests over time. It is incredibly easy to use, which is a major plus to a lot of people, but it didn't perform at the same level as some other coatings I have tested.

Retired Professional Detailer

5. Thanks bigez thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, bigez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to follow up on this since I pressure washed my car yesterday and snapped a couple of pictures... The hood just has CSL on it, it is not topped with EXO or anything else. One half was polished with Essence and then coated, the other half M205, IPA, then coated. No noticeable difference in performance many months later (none expected when Essence used properly).

CSL might not have as high of a contact angle as some other coatings, but it still repels water like crazy and the beads slight right off when driving.
    Zack, is the CSL still holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Love CSL and also EXO, this is my go to entry level.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    Zack, is the CSL still holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I assume so.... but I sold the car

Replacement car will be coated with Gyeon stuff in the spring for testing/review.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I assume so.... but I sold the car

Replacement car will be coated with Gyeon stuff in the spring for testing/review.
    Since I personally know the owner of the white Denali above, I can give my .02 cents on the matter. I can say that CSL is holding up quite well, so far. This Denali is currently a daily and driven in salt laden illinois, which IMO, is absolutely great for testing the abilities/longevity of a coating. As I believe this would dramatically reduces its half-life.

Its been over a year since it was coated and this is the second winter its enduring. I can also tell you the owner CAN NOT keep his hands off the paint and will wash it with any opportunity possible, even if it looks spotless cause he’s board. To this day, the truck/coating is holding up AWESOME, and quite frankly I’m very surprised. Besides some self inflicted “scratches” (owner error and learning curve) the truck seems too look just as good as the day it drove off Zach’s detailing property.

This will be my next “go-to” coating on my truck. Thats for sure.

10. Thanks 58LesPaul, zmcgovern45 thanked for this post
    Likes 58LesPaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump

How is everyone’s CSL doing in the durability realm? Any updates?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345