autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 coating comparison

An update from last week. This pic is after hitting it with a hose. Hood hasn't been washed since coatings were applied. I believe the areas with no water are the tape lines.
    3 coating comparison-before-washing-jpg

Here it is after washing. I used D114 at 128:1. You can see the different action of water on different coatings is visible. Again, the McKee's and DG have similar sheeting, the center area with PA has strong beading.
    3 coating comparison-after-washing-jpg

After 30 seconds or so.
    3 coating comparison-30-secs-later-jpg

After a couple of minutes.
    3 coating comparison-2-mins-later-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review and the time to post.I would love to see Glosscoat used instead of duragloss.And the testing should be on washing after a month or so.Using a recommended carwash soap that a lot of members use to wash their vehicles will dictate over time the durability.It takes a lot of your time to give us results so I thank you once again.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the hood warm or cold? I have mckees on my car and it behaves totally different than what is shown here.It behaves like pa super hydrophobic and the beads will stay until either wiped off or driven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Thanks for the review and the time to post.I would love to see Glosscoat used instead of duragloss.And the testing should be on washing after a month or so.Using a recommended carwash soap that a lot of members use to wash their vehicles will dictate over time the durability.It takes a lot of your time to give us results so I thank you once again.
    I went with DG rather than Opt or something else more popular for just that reason - it's less popular. Not sure I'm following your point about about washing after a month. I washed it after 3+ weeks. I'll be using another rinseless once my D114 runs out. Need to find another one with no "gloss enhancers" or anything else that will mask the coating. Not sure what that is yet.

When it warms up a little I'll likely do a similar test on my LR3 hood. I can get 4, maybe 5 different products on that one. I'll be looking for inexpensive samples to buy or swapping product with some people here to give it try. Will be sure to include Opt in that one. I'd like to see how it looks relative to some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Is the hood warm or cold? I have mckees on my car and it behaves totally different than what is shown here.It behaves like pa super hydrophobic and the beads will stay until either wiped off or driven.
    It was about 50 degrees when I took these pics. Interesting that your McKee's beads and mine doesn't. I didn't use McKee's prep polish and I didn't wait 24 hours before getting it wet. I assumed these weren't critical, but may have messed it up. May have to re-apply following instructions to the letter.

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting to try mckee 37, it's sitting here for my next full correction and very curious to see how it looks/performs.
    Thanks for the post.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe something went wrong with the application of the coatings [not saying it's your fault] because it appears that both the Mckee's and DG panels are a complete failure from day 1 on that hood. I see absolutely no beading + that sheeting's just as bad.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Maybe something went wrong with the application of the coatings [not saying it's your fault] because it appears that both the Mckee's and DG panels are a complete failure from day 1 on that hood. I see absolutely no beading + that sheeting's just as bad.

Sent from my iPhone
    No idea if they failed. But if so, why would it not be my fault? I'll re-apply the McKee's when I can and see how it looks. If it looks a lot different after application I'll re-apply the DG as well.

The reason I don't know if they failed is that I don't really know what to expect. For people who are getting beading off these coatings, I would ask what they're washing with or if they are topping. I'm very intentionally not using ONR, DG Rinseless, Uber, or anything else that will live a layer of something on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    No idea if they failed. But if so, why would it not be my fault? I'll re-apply the McKee's when I can and see how it looks. If it looks a lot different after application I'll re-apply the DG as well.

The reason I don't know if they failed is that I don't really know what to expect. For people who are getting beading off these coatings, I would ask what they're washing with or if they are topping. I'm very intentionally not using ONR, DG Rinseless, Uber, or anything else that will live a layer of something on the surface.
    I've had the Mckee's coating (actually its predecessor DP) on several vehicles and had excellent beading many months no matter what I washed with, be it DG rinseless, Ultima waterless, CG citrus clear, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    agree deosnt look right.

Post Thanks / Like

3 coating comparison

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post

Reason I said that is because I know from personal experience how the littlest thing can effect the application of the Mckee's coating. Not too long ago I applied some to my car but didn't follow the directions and had poor results. But I did it over and followed the directions to the T and had it apply totally different compared to my 1st try.

Now all that's left is for me to check is how the water behavior is on it as I haven't gotten around to washing it yet. I'll do that now.

BTW, Uber better live up to its claims and not be leaving anything behind, because that's what I intend to use most of the time as a waterless wash to maintain my car clean.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast