autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 coating comparison

That's a good question. I expected to see them too. Didn't do anything in particular to them after I removed the tape. I think what we're seeing is beading from HD Adapt that is similar to the Polish Angel. Don't really know. I could do a small test with HD Adapt over the right or left side and see what happens.

Note that I haven't washed it yet. I suspect (maybe just hope) the tape areas that weren't treated will become more apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

Cosmic says no water for 6 hours, keep out of "the elements" for 24 hours. So I wonder if rain is considered water or "the elements" I know it fully cures in 24 hours unless you use Cosmic Spritz then it's 12 hours.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Cosmic says no water for 6 hours, keep out of "the elements" for 24 hours. So I wonder if rain is considered water or "the elements" I know it fully cures in 24 hours unless you use Cosmic Spritz then it's 12 hours.
    Yep. I used the spritz and gave it 11 hours before getting rained on. Maybe that was good enough, maybe not. Going to free up some space in the garage soon so I'll be able to keep another car out of the elements for a day or two when needed.

FYI, here was my thinking on why 11 hours was likely ok: They say 12 hours, which must account for all conditions. Let's assume they're thinking that people will sometimes apply this stuff when it's cool out. Let's assume 60 degrees F. Their info page says curing time can be reduced 50% more (to 6 hours) by getting the surface up to 95 degrees. Could be that's a magic number, but more likely it's a point a long a slope of temp to cure times. If we assume 60 degrees and 12 hours is one point and 95 and 6 hour is another, 70 degrees puts the curing time at about 10 hours. This of course assumes a linear relationship between cure time and temp. I have no idea if that's accurate.

I may try all 3 again when I can ensure more cure time. Not a big deal to polish off and redo the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Yep. I used the spritz and gave it 11 hours before getting rained on. Maybe that was good enough, maybe not. Going to free up some space in the garage soon so I'll be able to keep another car out of the elements for a day or two when needed.

FYI, here was my thinking on why 11 hours was likely ok. They say 12 hours, which must account for all conditions. Let's assume they're thinking that people will sometimes apply this stuff when it's cool out. Let's assume 60 degrees F. Their info page says curing time can be reduced 50% more (to 6 hours) by getting the surface up to 95 degrees. Could be that's a magic number, but more likely it's a point a long a slope of temp to cure times. If we assume 60 degrees and 12 hours is one point and 95 and 6 hour is another, 70 degrees puts the curing time at about 10 hours. This of course assumes a linear relationship between cure time and temp. I have no idea if that's accurate.

I may try all 3 again when I can ensure more cure time. Not a big deal to polish off and redo the hood.
    If you used the spritz I'm sure 11 hours is fine. I thought the 6 hours before water 24 hours before "the elements" was kind of funny. I've noticed that the directions on a lot of the coatings are pretty vague.

Post Thanks / Like

If you used the spritz I'm sure 11 hours is fine. I thought the 6 hours before water 24 hours before "the elements" was kind of funny. I've noticed that the directions on a lot of the coatings are pretty vague.
    I think they have to be pretty generalized. Opt told me that it's a function of heat and humidity for their coatings - more of both shortens the cure time. So if they say 24 hours, they have to be assuming close to worst case. You have people applying these at 60 degrees and 40% humidity or 95 degrees and 95%.

I have to believe they're thinking "what number will generally keep us from getting bad reviews and too many complaints."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I think they have to be pretty generalized. Opt told me that it's a function of heat and humidity for their coatings - more of both shortens the cure time. So if they say 24 hours, they have to be assuming close to worst case. You have people applying these at 60 degrees and 40% humidity or 95 degrees and 95%.

I have to believe they're thinking "what number will generally keep us from getting bad reviews and too many complaints."

Definitely, you should try to use EXO right at or slightly above the manufacturer's advised heat range. You better be quick spreading it and quick with the residue towel. Towards the low end of the heat range it's a pretty easy product to use. Actually I am switching to Angel Polish because of the ease of application over Gtechniq products. I've still got a few bottles of EXO and Crystal Syrum Lite which I'll use as stand a lone coatings. I think Crystal Syrum Lite topped with EXO is one of the best looking most durable combinations out there. A lot of care has to be taken, and figuring out the best time to wait between the two in different temperatures can be tricky. If you have two people applying it's pretty easy, but with just one especially on larger vehicles can be a challenge because of the amount of time it takes to apply Crystal Syrum.

Anyway I think it's great your doing these tests, if you want to do more testing I would ask for some product contributions. I think a lot of people will benefit from this. No reason you should incur the entire cost. If you want to do more testing I'll donate a bottle of Crystal Syrum Lite or EXO.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely, you should try to use EXO right at or slightly above the manufacturer's advised heat range. You better be quick spreading it and quick with the residue towel. Towards the low end of the heat range it's a pretty easy product to use. Actually I am switching to Angel Polish because of the ease of application over Gtechniq products. I've still got a few bottles of EXO and Crystal Syrum Lite which I'll use as stand a lone coatings. I think Crystal Syrum Lite topped with EXO is one of the best looking most durable combinations out there. A lot of care has to be taken, and figuring out the best time to wait between the two in different temperatures can be tricky. If you have two people applying it's pretty easy, but with just one especially on larger vehicles can be a challenge because of the amount of time it takes to apply Crystal Syrum.

Anyway I think it's great your doing these tests, if you want to do more testing I would ask for some product contributions. I think a lot of people will benefit from this. No reason you should incur the entire cost. If you want to do more testing I'll donate a bottle of Crystal Syrum Lite or EXO.
    Thanks for offering and mentioning the sharing. I was going to say something similar. I'm going to end up with far more product than I will use. I was thinking about sending it along. Only conditions I would place it are please share your experiences and pass it along to the next person when done. And no Bogarting product - anybody scamming for free product needs to be permanently branded a douchbag and be treated as such.

Happy to send you my Polish Angel when I'm done with it. May do the wife's Boxster with it - not sure yet. Guessing I'll have ~50% left after I'm done. Perhaps more.

Post Thanks / Like

No there's a term I haven't heard in a while...bogarting lol. I know what ya mean. I've given away more products than I care to think about. With coatings sometimes once they're opened there is a limited time before they need to be used like the GTechnique. Some coatings will only do one or two cars. I think most people who would get involved in something like this would pass along unused product. I don't think I would ban anyone who didn't. With limited shelf life of a lot of these coatings, sometimes life gets in the way of the best of intentions.

I haven't heard anyone else offering up product so there may not be much interest. I like seeing the side by side tests.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the side by side tests. Have not done any coatings to date, and really would like to offer as a service for my clients. Your test is helping my decision making, and some of the techniques and times are great lessons i can learn from someone else.
    I will be happy to follow up with my results after i polish a few spots on my truck and have the time to apply the coating.
    Get Detailed!

Post Thanks / Like

Great test! Thank you for taking the time to do this and share your results with us!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast