autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product search: I need to treat/nourish my rubber trim before I dress/protect it.

I have a 25 year old car with rubber window trim that is fading and starting to dry out with tiny tiny cracks. Unfortunately some of the trim is no longer available as replacement parts. I have several products that will dress and protect the trim (WETS, 303, PERL, etc), but I think it's a good idea to use a pure reconditioning treatment first. Something that will nourish the rubber, bring back its flexibility and moisturize it deep within. What works best?

I've seen the Gummipflege which looks more like an all-in-one solution. I was thinking it'd be better to treat the rubber trim once a week for a few weeks before starting to seal it with a protective layer.

Wurth has an aerosol spray which I don't think is ideal as it will get all over the glass and paint.

I'm not as concerned with getting a particular color/finish from the trim (ie, a black dye trim product isn't what I'm after), it's more about keeping the trim from coming apart and looking worse, long term.

I remember 15 years ago having a 12 year old car with T-tops that would leak water onto the seat when it rained. One treatment of [I forget what it was!] on the seals stopped the leaks for a full year or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product search: I need to treat/nourish my rubber trim before I dress/protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
    I have a 25 year old car with rubber window trim that is fading and starting to dry out with tiny tiny cracks. Unfortunately some of the trim is no longer available as replacement parts. I have several products that will dress and protect the trim (WETS, 303, PERL, etc), but I think it's a good idea to use a pure reconditioning treatment first. Something that will nourish the rubber, bring back its flexibility and moisturize it deep within. What works best?

I've seen the Gummipflege which looks more like an all-in-one solution. I was thinking it'd be better to treat the rubber trim once a week for a few weeks before starting to seal it with a protective layer.

Wurth has an aerosol spray which I don't think is ideal as it will get all over the glass and paint.You could spray into the cap and use a MF towel to wipe on the rubber trim.

I'm not as concerned with getting a particular color/finish from the trim (ie, a black dye trim product isn't what I'm after), it's more about keeping the trim from coming apart and looking worse, long term.

I remember 15 years ago having a 12 year old car with T-tops that would leak water onto the seat when it rained. One treatment of [I forget what it was!] on the seals stopped the leaks for a full year or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product search: I need to treat/nourish my rubber trim before I dress/protect it.

Poorboy's World Trim Restorer is pretty great for this. A couple of treatments and then seal with a UV inhibitor.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sub'd for further posts. Also interested in reconditioning trim pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailedbybrian View Post
    Look into Solution Finish for bad trim and Car Pro Dlux.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Look into Solution Finish for bad trim and Car Pro Dlux.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
    I'm not as concerned with getting a particular color/finish from the trim (ie, a black dye trim product isn't what I'm after)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailedbybrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Was answering detailedbybrian post and not the OP.

Post Thanks / Like

Aight.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for rubber trim specifically like the OP. Apologize for any confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking around to see what I can discover.

Swissvax has Seal Feed but at $70 a bottle I'm having a hard time considering this one.

It looks like GummiPflege is most often used for weather seals (inside/around doors, convertible tops, etc) and less often on exterior window trim. But the quality that it is purported to posess, that is restoring elasticity to the rubber, seems like it would be useful for aging exteriro rubber window trim too.

There's also Sonax Rubber Protectant, which appears to be a very similar (identical?) product to the 1Z GummiPflege.

Poorboy's Trim Restorer has been claimed to "work from the iside out" on restoring trim by Pockets@Poorboys on some forums. ekennett, you say something similar. I've seen no claims like this elsewhere, including the description on the Poorboy's web site, which doesn't even mention rubber as an application for TR.

GTechniq C4 looks to do some amazing work and last long but I've only seen it applied on plastic texturized trim, not rubber (or synthetic rubber) window trim. The manufacturer also doesn't specify use for rubber.

Iv'e been a little surprised at how little information seems to be out there for this particular problem I have. I know it's not unique!

So far I'm leaning towards the GummiPflege or the Poorboy's Trim Restorer weekly for a few weeks for my restorative purposes, followed by using the WETS I already have for protection over the long haul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast