autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car from dealer with micro swirls

This has been a first for me. I went to the dealer to get my new car (Mazda CX-9) on Saturday. I take a look at it before going into financing and notice it has what I call micro swirls, long somewhat circular scratches that are superficial. It looks like some numb-nut tried to clean or dry the car with a dirty towel. Or they have a really crappy car wash and all cars get prepped this way.

I'm pretty confident I could make them "go away" with a coat of wax. Not wanting to absorb this I made the dealer document the issue saying he'll take care of it (this week). I figure its better he has a professional detailer take care of it (as he says he will).

So, question....what should I ask him about his technique so I know it won't be a hack job. Just a paste wax and buffer? Or something more aggressive?

Here's a close-up, I lightened the photo a bit. You can see *some* scratches. Depending on the sun and angle, a lot more are noticeable in person. Click to zoom.

New car from dealer with micro swirls-scratches-jpg

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car from dealer with micro swirls

Are they all over the car? If not, I'd consider getting some polish and try doing it by hand. I worry the guy that installed those scratches will also be the one trying to fix them. "Professional detailer" could literally just be the guy in the back that preps all the other cars; people like to throw around the word 'professional.'

If they just apply a wax, those scratches may just come back once the wax fades or washes out. In my opinion, they should be polishing that section.

Post Thanks / Like

Those actually look pretty bad. Usually a dealer or even a pro they bring in will be a hack, relative to the level of work that members here do.

I would renegotiate your deal and have him take $250 off the price and use that to buy your own supplies to do it yourself or take it to a detailer recommended on here. Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Those actually look pretty bad. Usually a dealer or even a pro they bring in will be a hack, relative to the level of work that members here do.

I would renegotiate your deal and have him take $250 off the price and use that to buy your own supplies to do it yourself or take it to a detailer recommended on here. Where are you located?
    I agree. Why bring it back to the same folks that installed the scratches. IMO, either do what Setec Astronomy states, and get them to voucher you $300.00.
    Get yourself a GG 6 or PC 7424, some pads and product and learn how to do it yourself.

Other option would be to find a highly skilled detailer, preferably someone from this forum in your area.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Are they all over the car? If not, I'd consider getting some polish and try doing it by hand. I worry the guy that installed those scratches will also be the one trying to fix them. "Professional detailer" could literally just be the guy in the back that preps all the other cars; people like to throw around the word 'professional.'

If they just apply a wax, those scratches may just come back once the wax fades or washes out. In my opinion, they should be polishing that section.
    Ok, so "polishing" is the right approach. I take it polishing is more about removing the scratches, and wax just temporarily fills them in?

Yeah, I was a little concerned about who would be taking care of it. But just to clarify, the Manager came out and said right away he would use his specialty detailer guy.

And yes, its the whole car.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

I'm in Northern VA..... Fairfax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I agree. Why bring it back to the same folks that installed the scratches. IMO, either do what Setec Astronomy states, and get them to voucher you $300.00.
    Get yourself a GG 6 or PC 7424, some pads and product and learn how to do it yourself.

Other option would be to find a highly skilled detailer, preferably someone from this forum in your area.
    I just posted same time as you... but the Manager said he would use his detailer. Guess I need to talk to the guy and make sure he's not just going to cover it with a wax job.

Post Thanks / Like

All wax is a protector/layer sitting on paint to prevent environmental items to not hit the paint. Swirls and scratches are tiny ridges in the paint. When you put wax over them it just fills them in, thats it. Wax will not at all remove scratches and swirls in detailing. Thats what compound and polish are for, so they need to be polished out.

Dealers are usually not trained on this work and would make it much worse. Usually the cause of them in the first place. I would ask honestly for 250 off the price and put that towards and more reputable person to do the work
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
    I just posted same time as you... but the Manager said he would use his detailer. Guess I need to talk to the guy and make sure he's not just going to cover it with a wax job.
    I'm not sure it's even worth talking to him...these dealer people don't speak the same language as we do.

We used to have a number of VA detailers...I gotta think on that for a while.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, let me know about the VA detailer thing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have something in writing. Otherwise the dealer will "forget" any promises he made. You should insist on a discount in order to address the issue yourself. Trusting a car dealer is not an option.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast