autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car from dealer with micro swirls

Yes they do that dealers. I work at one I see it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Never let a dealer's "detail" shop touch your ride. I knew this before I picked up my brand new truck in '12. They were told at LEAST 10 times by me NOT to wash it. (They didn't).

I told my buddy the same thing when he ordered his new '14 Jeep Wrangler. Well, I guess he didn't stress it enough, because when I brought him to the dealer to pick it up, there was one of their "detailers" with a bucket of dirty, barely soapy water, and dipping a hard nylon brush into it giving his new Jeep a "detail wash".

And in full sun in the back lot. Dry it? What??

I cringed, and had to spend most of the following weekend helping him get rid of the serious swirls, water spots, and light scratches this buffoon put into his brand new paint.

Unreal.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I talked to the guy who heads up detailing for the dealer yesterday. The Mazda dealer subs out detailing to this detailing company. BTW, just to be clear, I don't think their the ones that caused the swirls/scratches in the first place. Keep in mind the car was pulled from another dealer somewhere else since they didn't have the model/color combo we wanted. Who knows how long it was sitting on the lot and how many times it was given a quick-clean.

So the detail guy gave me assurances in a few ways;

- When I asked how this happened he said it wasn't them, as their careful to use fresh water and a hand mitt. A gentle wash. I saw this myself when I went back to the prep area.
    - He showed me the products their going to use, a swirl/scratch remover, a wax and a sealant. I said that I didn't want them to just wax it to cover the swirls up for a couple months. He agreed and showed me the swirl remover. The brand is a little odd (Commodore). But whatever works best for them.

So, I dropped the car off this morning. Worse case is the car looks fine between now and spring, and come nicer weather I take care of the swirls myself if they come back. I have a random orbital buffer I bought at autogeek.com, just afraid to use it at this point on a new car.

Thank you everyone for your help. I don't mean to ignore peoples advice about taking it elsewhere. Its just that I need to give these guys a chance since it sounds like they know what their talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
    I have a random orbital buffer I bought at autogeek.com, just afraid to use it at this point on a new car.
    That's too bad, because I'm sure the dealer guy won't have a problem using a rotary buffer with a dirty wool pad that's been lying face down on the concrete floor on your new car.

I'm sorry that no one really responded to your thread looking for a "Geek" detailer in your area.

Hopefully it won't come out too badly. I wish you luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT have the dealership "take care of it".... they are most likely the ones who "installed" them in the first place.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope I didn't pay extra for those installed swirls!

Post Thanks / Like

Any update on this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Any update on this?
    Thanks for asking. So, I let the detailer, who Mazda hires out to, do his thing. That was almost a month ago. Keep in mind I looked at the products he uses and made sure he wasn't going to just cover up the swirls with a wax job, but actually buff them out (see my description of what his approach is above). The car came out looking great, no swirls and very smooth to the touch. After buffing out the swirls, he put a wax coat and synthetic sealant on. We'll see over the next couple months and a few washes how thing hold up. Keep in mind he was adamant that they didn't cause the initial damage, which I believe considering what I saw in the back shop and the fact that our car was pulled from another dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Great ending! Glad it turned out well and thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

Did they clay before they used any machine at all? What order did they put the wax and sealant on? that would make a big difference
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast