autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When is someone considered a Professional Detailer?

I would like to know what it takes to be considered a Professional Detailer? There are detail shops in my area that are viewed as Professional and I wouldn't let them touch my cars. If someone does detailing full time as their profession are they considered Professional? Can you become certified through continued education or earn certain qualifications?

2. Thanks dpk20x thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When is someone considered a Professional Detailer?

#2 is the more pertinent definition.

pro·fes·sion·al
    prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
    adjective
    of, relating to, or connected with a profession.
    "young professional people"
    synonyms: white-collar, nonmanual
    "people in professional occupations"
    (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
    "a professional boxer"
    synonyms: paid, salaried
    "a professional rugby player"

Just keep in mind that because someone does something for a living or if they have certifications doesn't make them good at what they do. Look at some of the goofy things engineers design. Doctors and mechanics that regularly misdiagnose. Accountants that don't do their jobs right. I've had my share of sucky teachers. I've also had bosses that had certifications and advanced degrees in the field that would make you question the validity of said certification or degree.

4. Thanks Soldier24 thanked for this post
    Likes Soldier24, RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My two cents. I think a professional person regardless of career choice is
    1. Dedicated to the craft
    2. Studies the craft
    3. Is constantly searching and learning to be better
    4. Would do it for free since they love it so much
    5. Have common characteristics (passion, skill, tools, great products, customer focused, a little obsessive compulsive)
    6. Love sharing with others in the sane profession
    7. Know how to manage and balance service and payment.

Just a few thoughts before I'm off to dream land

6. Likes SANTA3013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe when you start making a decent living (or serious part-time money) have a steady customer base, and have high quality work, then you have reached "professional" status.

With that being said you can get professional results in your driveway with good technique, quality tools and materials, and most importantly a discerning eye.

I was a detailer for 10 years at my dad's car lot. At times I was getting professional results in some area, but I would never consider myself a professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    #2 is the more pertinent definition.

pro·fes·sion·al
    prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l/
    adjective
    of, relating to, or connected with a profession.
    "young professional people"
    synonyms: white-collar, nonmanual
    "people in professional occupations"
    (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
    "a professional boxer"
    synonyms: paid, salaried
    "a professional rugby player"

Just keep in mind that because someone does something for a living or if they have certifications doesn't make them good at what they do. Look at some of the goofy things engineers design. Doctors and mechanics that regularly misdiagnose. Accountants that don't do their jobs right. I've had my share of sucky teachers. I've also had bosses that had certifications and advanced degrees in the field that would make you question the validity of said certification or degree.
    Engineers don't design, we slap designers and tell them about reality....
    Some engineers don't hit hard enough hence the goofy stuff you see now and then... When is someone considered a Professional Detailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I believe when you start making a decent living (or serious part-time money) have a steady customer base, and have high quality work, then you have reached "professional" status.

With that being said you can get professional results in your driveway with good technique, quality tools and materials, and most importantly a discerning eye.

I was a detailer for 10 years at my dad's car lot. At times I was getting professional results in some area, but I would never consider myself a professional.
    You are considered professional after 10 years my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Thank you, but I still don't consider myself a professional. I definitely have a lot of tricks I learned over the years, but my work was not to what I would consider a professional level. I could get very good results with 3M pads, compounds and polishes. When I got started I was warned by a body shop owner to stay away from wool, so I strictly used foam pads. I still don't own any wool pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post

I would like to know what it takes to be considered a Professional Detailer?
    Great question.

There are detail shops in my area that are viewed as Professional and I wouldn't let them touch my cars.
    I agree. I know people that call themselves detailers and I wouldn't let them touch my truck. The good news is all the hack detailers in the world create work for all the true professionals when we get hired to undo the damage they do.

If someone does detailing full time as their profession are they considered Professional?
    Not in my opinion or experience. There are people that hack up cars full time and I would not call them professional.

Can you become certified through continued education or earn certain qualifications?
    This is what the IDA or International Detailing Association is all about. That is creating standards for detailers to meet and live up to and educating the masses the difference between those that know what they are doing and have proven it and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post

Just keep in mind that because someone does something for a living or if they have certifications doesn't make them good at what they do.
    That's true and this is why companies like us, Meguiar's, RUPES etc when we award a certificate it is a certificate of completion. The problem is someone can take a class and in the class great information and skill can be presented but that doesn't mean each and every person that attends the class absorbs the knowledge and acquires or the skills and/or uses them in their work. It's a very tricky situation.

I do find that the people that attend my classes are of very high caliber and that when the do return to the world and detail cars they are qualified to do professional work. We just don't attract lazy people or goof balls.

Look at some of the goofy things engineers design.
    Whoever the engineer was that designed pebble textured black plastic trim for cars has obviously NEVER detailed a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post

My two cents. I think a professional person regardless of career choice is

1. Dedicated to the craft
    2. Studies the craft
    3. Is constantly searching and learning to be better
    4. Would do it for free since they love it so much
    5. Have common characteristics (passion, skill, tools, great products, customer focused, a little obsessive compulsive)
    6. Love sharing with others in the sane profession
    7. Know how to manage and balance service and payment.
    I agree with the above. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

I can't agree with this... I've met too many people in my life that have been detailing cars for 10 years and longer but they've been doing it wrong for 10 years or longer.

Anytime I meet a guy that says hes a "Detailer" and refers to a rotary buffer as a wheel I kind of already know his knowledge level.

Here's two article I wrote years ago. I believe they are just as accurate today as the day I wrote them.

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

This link isn't pulling up right now but should in the near future as a bug is worked out of the forum software.

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't

Post Thanks / Like

"Professional" does not equal "expert"... you can see this in nearly every skilled trade.

I notice it all the time outside of detailing, like in photography for instance. Almost every one with a DSLR camera these days thinks they are a professional, and unfortunately some of them try to take on massive tasks like shooting weddings when they don't have enough talent to even be paid to take photos of a child's birthday party.

In the end as long as your results speak for themselves, you won't have to worry anyone else.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Don't most fields that consider themselves a profession (a) require some form of education and (b) require the passing of some internship and/or passing of a test .

Even professionals mess up and some are incompetent. I don't think the designation has a quality requirement per se.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast