autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Recommendations: What Should I Put On My Car?

Hey AGO,

I recently purchased a low-mileage Black Mica 2008 Mazdaspeed3 and I'm coming to you all for a bit of fun. The paint on this thing is fairly trashed; swirls everywhere, a few scratches, and some of the worst touch-up work I've ever seen. I'll be correcting this in my spare time with M105 and M205 primarily (and that ain't changin',) but I wanted to diversify my post-correction products a bit.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    - Glaze
    - Sealant
    - Wax

Here's what I want from it listed from most important to least important:
    - Effectiveness
    - Ease of use
    - Longevity
    - Affordability

So what do you have for me? I have no preference as far as paste wax versus liquid wax, though I do enjoy the process of applying paste wax provided it's not impossibly hard to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Recommendations: What Should I Put On My Car?

Had a modified MS3 in Pearl White myself. Welcome to AGO.

To address you questions, Chemical Guys Blacklight or Poor Boys Black Hole. Both are excellent. Seal it up with Collinite 915 or if you're coming into winter where you are 476. Both are Hybrids so no need for a seperate "wax" 915 is designed to give a warmer glow. Another option is Blackfire's Hybrid Montain wax too. Pricey but good. I have used them all.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Y'know, a Pearl White MS3 was in the cards, but it had twice the mileage and the paint was only in slightly better condition; I figured the low-mileage option was the better choice. Also my daily is a white Integra and I really didn't want another white car to work on.

I've been wanting to try Collinite 915 for a while, but I'm not really the type to buy into the whole show wax thing. Fortunately, it's not expensive so I don't feel like I'm being had. Does it hold up pretty well? Where I live, it's either Summer or Autumn, so not worried about Winter protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are going to be correcting the paint with a polish/compound, you can skip the glaze.

As for the LSP, since you live in a mild climate I'd think you have many more alternatives since you don't need to armor plate your car with a long lasting product to get you through the dark months of winter. You pretty much have your pick of products from the inventory here at AG. Nearly all of them are very good. It's really a matter of finding one that produces the look you enjoy that's within your budget.

My preference on metallic black paint is to go with a sealant vs a wax. From my limited experience, I found waxes like tend to mute the flake while sealants produce a more glass like finish which makes the flake pop.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Since you are going to be correcting the paint with a polish/compound, you can skip the glaze.

As for the LSP, since you live in a mild climate I'd think you have many more alternatives since you don't need to armor plate your car with a long lasting product to get you through the dark months of winter. You pretty much have your pick of products from the inventory here at AG. Nearly all of them are very good. It's really a matter of finding one that produces the look you enjoy that's within your budget.

My preference on metallic black paint is to go with a sealant vs a wax. From my limited experience, I found waxes like tend to mute the flake while sealants produce a more glass like finish which makes the flake pop.
    The glaze is for later on down the road, so I can reduce the amount of correction done to it if (when) damage is done, this thing will eventually become my daily driver.

Desertnate, do you have a favorite sealant for metallic black? Part of the reason I made this thread is to get acquainted with the AGO community and see what it is they'd put on the ride if it were in their hands. Fun stuff... right?!

Post Thanks / Like

"Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Desertnate, do you have a favorite sealant for metallic black? Part of the reason I made this thread is to get acquainted with the AGO community and see what it is they'd put on the ride if it were in their hands. Fun stuff... right?!
    Right now I'm I'm liking Collinite 845 and the Blackfire Products on my black metallic VW. 845 is like many products these as it's a blend of waxes and other ingredients, so it isn't a true wax. The Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray as a spray sealant looks amazing too. Right now, I'm topping the 845 every 3 weeks or so with the Blackfire spray and am very pleased.. I'm sure the Blackfire All Purpose Paint Protection, or their Crystal Seal would yield similar results. I've also used Klasse Sealant Glaze (it's a sealant, not a glaze), but like the Blackfire look better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've really been liking the Duragloss 105/601 and 111/601. They meet all of your listed criteria. Effective, easy to use, durable, and affordable. Super gloss, easy application and removal, it's top notch stuff. Don't let it's low price fool you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I've really been liking the Duragloss 105/601 and 111/601. Don't let it's low price fool you.
    For me, it's not their low price that fools me. It's the sheer inability to figure out what each 3 digit number is, and what I should use it for. I can't even find a section on their website that says "exterior protection", or anything that sounds remotely similar.

But I guess their marketing is working for them. I just don't feel like using my decoder ring to figure it all out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
    For me, it's not their low price that fools me. It's the sheer inability to figure out what each 3 digit number is, and what I should use it for. I can't even find a section on their website that says "exterior protection", or anything that sounds remotely similar.

But I guess their marketing is working for them. I just don't feel like using my decoder ring to figure it all out.
    105 and 111 are just polymer paint sealants ("synthetic waxes"). 105 has some cleaning ability (it's an AIO). 111 has no cleaning ability (a straight up sealer like Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax or Menz Powerlock, for example). 601 Bonding Agent is absolutely not necessary, but it increases the longevity of both 105 and 111.

Of all the paint sealants I've tried, I've never seen gloss like 111 provides without having machine polished first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast