autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with the current coat of sealant and wax when the time comes to reapply?

When looking at the various sealants and waxes I can't help but get stuck on the fact that it is important to have a clean as possible surface before applying them. Does this mean that all the previous layers of sealants and wax should be removed before applying a new coat?

For instance, for my major details I am: cleaning the car(Ironx soap) with foam cannon--->claying--->prepping paint (eraser)--->applying hydro2

for maintenance washes I am: cleaning car(Carpro reset) with foam cannon--->applying quick detailer (optimum instant detailer)

When I notice the hydro2 wearing off, should I do my detail steps outlined above? I know with hydro2, it can wear off quicker than other products and am worried that I will be creating more work for myself by having to do an entire detail every few weeks.
    If so, will moving to a longer last sealant like reload allow me more time in between details?

Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with the current coat of sealant and wax when the time comes to reapply?

I can't speak about sealants, as I've never used them. For waxes, I will strip the car down in the spring (wash, Nano sponge, AIO, wax), than any additional waxings will just go on top of what's already there. I try to keep my car clean at all times, so there is really no need to stip it but once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with the current coat of sealant and wax when the time comes to reapply?

When I had hard paint, I would clay and re-apply the same sealant with zero issues.

If I am changing it up, a cleaner or a very fine polish at least is what I would recommend

Now with soft paint - Ive used a light polish twice in the one year ive had the car. So I can't comment on that tbh.

if you plan on using Hydro2 again - then just clay if your paint isn't too soft. On soft paint clay will marr the surface

And yes, look into a proper sealant like Collinite 845, Menzerna Powerlock etc. They will last much longer and you can do you full detail once every 4-5 months. Even more if you use a spray wax like meguiars D156 (ultimate quik wax) after every wash. I got up to 8 months before I decided to polish my car.

There's much better stuff (like I mentioned) than Reload or Hydro 2. Collinite 845 is loved and lasts very very long. Menzerna Powerlock (for me) is a close second. You have decent sealant from Meguiars like NXT Tech wax or Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is a sealant).