autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Foam Pads of HD Speed

Hey guys, just curious how you all are cleaning your foam pads of HD Speed or any AIO with a sealant in it. I've been using CG pad cleaner as it came with some hex logic pads I purchased a while ago and just wanted to use it up before buying something else. It however isn't getting the job done even after soaking. I've tried dawn, microfiber wash, and even Hi-Intensity with no luck. I did some reading and saw some suggest wax and grease remover as well as mineral spirits but wanted to double check what you guys thought...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Foam Pads of HD Speed

I use meguiars app and hot water.

put on some latex gloves, spray apc on pad, kneed pad then rinse with hot water and repeat as necessary, squeeze out water lay on ww towel till dry.
    In GOD we trust

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's Super Degreaser 4:1 worked better than Meg's APC 10:1. Go figure, higher concentration cuts through polish on pad, duh. I have not tried APC at 4:1. May be worth a shot. FYI, my tap water is set way too hot, guessing 125-130 and it works well to rinse away the polish as well. Menzerna FG400 rinses almost perfect with my hot water, no cleaner, still use a little cleaner.

Now the bigger question. How do I get rid of HD Speed's staining of the pads? That is the million dollar question. I let the stains go and don't sweat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

Now the bigger question. How do I get rid of HD Speed's staining of the pads? That is the million dollar question. I let the stains go and don't sweat it.
    Ha! Mine are permanently purple

Post Thanks / Like

I pre spray with pad cleaner, soak mine in hot water in the sink for 20-30 minutes squeeze them out well and then toss them in the washing machine with 3D Microfiber cleaner for a long cycle with hot water and cold water rinse and they come out great.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I pre spray with pad cleaner, soak mine in hot water in the sink for 20-30 minutes squeeze them out well and then toss them in the washing machine with 3D Microfiber cleaner for a long cycle with hot water and cold water rinse and they come out great.
    Interesting...never tried this..I have the LC Flat Foam pads and 3D Towel Kleen I will have to give that a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I clean my by spraying with super degreaser (4:1) massaging the pads to create a lather, then i rinse with hot water. That will not touch the speed but it will get rid of the clear coat or paint residue in the pads. Once i do that I will wrap the pad in a paper towel and squeeze the pad as hard as i possibly can. That removes a ton of` speed or whatever sealant you are trying to remove. No soaking necessary. The only thing soaking your pads in apc or degreaser will accomplish when trying to remove a sealant is separating the pad from the hook and loop backing. (especially lake country pads in my experience)

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's DynaCone Cleaner.

Spray on and let sit 2-3 minutes then let soak 15 minutes in hot water.

Rinse while kneeding the foam out of the pad (basically follow the instructiions on the bottle).

Originally developed to clean the yellow DynaCone after metal polishing (that black crap).

Works well on Optimum Poli-Seal AIO and white ThinPad Pro.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I take a hose and put the water jet nozzle right into the pad flushing out all the compound etc,step on them to squeeze water out left to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not talking just regular compound and polish though, the AIO's (specifically those with sealant) pose a much more difficult task of removing all the product... has anyone tried mineral spirits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast