autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Pads?

Hello everyone, I need some advice on microfiber cutting pads. I’m going to be detailing a Silver 2001 Mercedes S500 in the next 2 weeks for my nephew. I’ll be using my Flex 3401 and the pads I currently have are the hybrid 5” pads (all available colors). I also have Menzerna FG400, SF4000, HD ADAPT, SPEED and few products from Wolfgang (can’t remember the name). I’ve had great results using the LC hybrid pads with the products mentioned on the few cars I’ve done (Tahoe, Lexus, Lincoln, Toyota, KIA), however the last Black 2013 Mercedes e350 and Silver 2003 BMW 540i I detailed and the end results were not as flawless as the others I’ve done. With another Mercedes on deck, I figured it would be a good time to test out the MF cutting pad vs the foam and see which cuts more.

Which microfiber pads do you guys recommend for the Flex 3401? How many to order? And can you wash these pads the same way you wash any other microfiber towel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Pads?

I've used the Meguiar's MF system - cutting & polishing pads - with their 2 polishes and have gotten good results. Wash the usual way.

Post Thanks / Like

Before doing any heavy cutting on the merc, read this article and make sure you check the paint code:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Before doing any heavy cutting on the merc, read this article and make sure you check the paint code:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html
    Thanks for the info. This might explain why it took me double the time and effort to do my black E350 vs a black Chevy Tahoe that was in worse condition. I ended up flawless finish on the Tahoe and the Mercedes not so much. How can I tell by looking at the paint code, I'd if has this clear?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    I've used the Meguiar's MF system - cutting & polishing pads - with their 2 polishes and have gotten good results. Wash the usual way.
    Thanks. I don't know if I'll order the kit that comes with the polishes, hope that doesn't matter when it comes to how the pads perform.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For the 3401, I'd consider the Buff and Shine pads. The foam backing is taller, which should reduce the "grabby" feel some report with the thinner pads.

The other nice thing about them is that the compound tends to stay on the tips of the looped fibers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

D300 Compound works beautifully with MF pads. No dusting and gives a nice finish. I used it with meguiars cutting MF pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Pads?

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    For the 3401, I'd consider the Buff and Shine pads. The foam backing is taller, which should reduce the "grabby" feel some report with the thinner pads.

The other nice thing about them is that the compound tends to stay on the tips of the looped fibers.
    I've tried these on the 3401 and I cannot, for the life of me, get as good of results with any MF pad on the 3401 compared to a non-forced DA.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
    How can I tell by looking at the paint code, I'd if has this clear?
    There will be a "C" before the code. For instance, "C650" or "C033" on the VIN plate typically in the door area of the drivers door. Google "Mercedes C650 paint" and you'll see the VIN plate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had much luck with microfiber pads on my 3401 but Lake Country's Purple Foamed Wool Pads have proven to have some impressive cut if you want to try those out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast