autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: looking for alternative to my favorite APC

3D citrus degreaser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post
    3D citrus degreaser
    i tried it after reviewing the MSDS, seeing that it had some similarities in composition and didn't have some of the more offensive components that are in other APCs. unfortunately, it's not even close to OPC performance in any manner other than being orange. 10:1 OPC is more powerful/effective than full strength 3D 88, in my testing. my gallon has been sitting there. i can't figure out what it's actually good for. maybe i'm spoiled with OPC, i don't know.

i want to thank everyone for their input. i think the compromise for me will be to obviously stick for OPC where necessary and slot in 101 for some of the more mundane uses. i have come to the conclusion there is a reason OPC is so expensive and it probably has to do with what's in it and they know it works so well. 101 has such a strong following i can't imagine it won't help me out immensely.

thanks again.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure and report back your findings on M101.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Funny how D143 goes away and now everyone's favorite is D101...lol
    what does Meguiars Non-Acid wheel and tire cleaner have to do with anything? lol. Did you mean d103?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    i tried it after reviewing the MSDS, seeing that it had some similarities in composition and didn't have some of the more offensive components that are in other APCs. unfortunately, it's not even close to OPC performance in any manner other than being orange. 10:1 OPC is more powerful/effective than full strength 3D 88, in my testing. my gallon has been sitting there. i can't figure out what it's actually good for. maybe i'm spoiled with OPC, i don't know.

i want to thank everyone for their input. i think the compromise for me will be to obviously stick for OPC where necessary and slot in 101 for some of the more mundane uses. i have come to the conclusion there is a reason OPC is so expensive and it probably has to do with what's in it and they know it works so well. 101 has such a strong following i can't imagine it won't help me out immensely.

thanks again.
    Couldn't agree more with your plan. I think you'll find that D101 at 10:1 is effective enough to handle most dirt (plus it can be used on carpets which unfortunately OPC isn't recommended for). The only benefit to having McKee's APC+ would be to have an apc that can be used on glass and gauges. But you could always just use whatever rinseless/waterless/spray wax you have on hand which is probably even better than McKee's APC for those purposes as well.

Why can't they just create an all purpose cleaner that cleans & degreases like OPC, can be use to clean all surfaces in and out of your car and doesn't need to be rinsed like d114/ONR, and can be found for $14....like D101.*Sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    If you are conscious and sensitive about APC total cost of ownership; my recommendation would be Megs D101 for general use around the house with OPC for your boutique cleanings. Yeah you will have two products but your TCO should increase. I just noticed that AGO doesn't carry D103 anymore; hmpf. If you want even more aggressive TCO, then try Zep Citrus for general use. And certainly don't buy the spray bottles but go for the gallons.

What I do for general use APC is something on the order of a $9-$11 APC gallon...... combined with a disinfectant/sanitizer concentrate that could be used in hospitals. On the latter product I have the same Zep gallon going on 6 years now and probably have enough for 15 more years. One capful of the Zep disinfectant (per the directions) in a 32 oz bottle with an APC solution and I have something I believe is better and retail products on the market in terms of power and affordability.
    I have never been more intrigued in my life. I used zep quick clean disinfectant around my house and it's great. Is that the one you're talking about. What APC do you use when pouring in a capful?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    I have never been more intrigued in my life. I used zep quick clean disinfectant around my house and it's great. Is that the one you're talking about. What APC do you use when pouring in a capful?
    Really? Never more intrigued? Dude you need to get out more. This is just an APC topic. :-) I'm just kidding as I do understand how TCO affects certain people (me being one of them).

I don't recall "quick clean" being on the label but it does say "disinfectant" in the product name. The product itself is dark gold colored and a little thick. Also, some corrections on my original statement....

1- I stated your TCO should "increase"; I misspoke as it should "decrease"
    2- Last sentence should say "better than retail products on the market"

Right now I use Simple Green or Purple Power with Zep Disinfectant. These products will corrode aluminum if you let the product dwell and dry on them but in general whenever I have aluminum I will use another product that cleans the metal better than an APC so risks are very minimal. I have used these products on my Weber grills and never had an issue.

It has taken awhile to get my wife away from purchasing retail APC's but once she saw the difference between my products and hers she was sold on the concept itself, then it took awhile for the new behaviors to set in. I think I have her on her last bottle of Windex before she moves to a Meguiars Glass cleaning dilution. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post

thanks again.
    Opc is awesome👍👍

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    It has taken awhile to get my wife away from purchasing retail APC's but once she saw the difference between my products and hers she was sold on the concept itself, then it took awhile for the new behaviors to set in. I think I have her on her last bottle of Windex before she moves to a Meguiars Glass cleaning dilution. :-)
    nice! my wife uses a bottle of wash dilution ONR to dust w/ and the Megs D120 has worked out great around the house. she keeps it in a Windex bottle under the sink.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    what does Meguiars Non-Acid wheel and tire cleaner have to do with anything? lol. Did you mean d103?
    Meg's APC+ or whatever the number is.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast