autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: looking for alternative to my favorite APC

Britemax Grime Out is amazing. You can get it at Autopia Car Care.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Mckee's 37 APC+ is the only all purpose cleaner I own that i NEVER have to worry about it damaging the surface....whether its clear plastic guages, glass, paint, or leather. OPC is far better at pretty much any dilution if you are trying to degrease tires and engine bays. D101 has pretty similar cleaning ability but the foaming action in D101 makes it more effective than Hi-Intensity APC+ for interior applications that require the use of a scrub brush. I just think of it as a mild APC that i can use in areas of a vehicle where I don't have much ventilation. Also, never having to worry about it doing damage is why it's what i reach for 90% of the time. I work at an auto museum during he week and when cleaning leather that isn't coated I know it will be 100% safe and it will do a decent job for a lot less than OPC or Blackfire APC. If you ever work on single stage paint, at the end of the day try massaging d101, Hi-intensity APC+ or even d108 super degreaser into your pads and rinsing with hot water... yes it will work okay but then if you try using OPC or BF APC on the pads you've already cleaned, you'll realized that those two cleaners/degreaser are in a league of their own and there really isn't anything else that comes close.

Post Thanks / Like

one other thing that i mean't to mention. After a closer inspection of both sides of that terry cloth towel that you used i really thing that the dirt you got off you're steering wheel and center console is a pretty excessive buildup for only 2-3 weeks. Even if i never washed my hands i just can't imagine transferring that much dirt and oil in such a short amount of time. To me (i could be completely wrong) but it seems like mckee's APC+ cleaned it without removing any color transfer. You would know better than me.

Also, you made a good point about comparing it to a product that is no longer available (I'm sure they developed this cleaner to get the guys that used d103+ and don't want/like the heavy foaming action of D101. You are definitely right though, it does seem rather convenient that isn't no longer a cleaner we can compare it to really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    one other thing that i mean't to mention. After a closer inspection of both sides of that terry cloth towel that you used i really thing that the dirt you got off you're steering wheel and center console is a pretty excessive buildup for only 2-3 weeks. Even if i never washed my hands i just can't imagine transferring that much dirt and oil in such a short amount of time. To me (i could be completely wrong) but it seems like mckee's APC+ cleaned it without removing any color transfer. You would know better than me.
    Being a 20 yr. old car, certain parts are on their last leg.. The steering wheel had been on thin skin ever since I acquired the car a couple years ago. But it does have the ability to come clean without totally abusing it/removing more color transfer than dirt. This is a close up pic I took the day before yesterday.

looking for alternative to my favorite APC-imageuploadedbyagonline1469436956-227620-jpg

I'll take another pic tomorrow and hopefully it'll show the difference.

As far as the center console, that surface is sort of a lost cause.. I've attempted to deep clean it before, but it's too far gone and that area will definitely leech color transfer along with dirt for as long as you scrub it. I don't spend too much time trying to clean it.

My drivers seat takes a large brunt during the work week, and since the geniuses in charge provide pink lotion soap as the only option to wash your hands at work, you can begin to see how my steering wheel can turn out like that..

But don't get me wrong, I don't roll around in a dirty car by any means.. It may be hard to believe and that's unfortunate for me at the moment.. So in order to make myself feel a little better I'll show you a picture of what a real dirty interior looks like while cleaning it with D101@10:1 lol.

This seriously came off just the center console. No color transfer, this is pure grime from just the pleather armrest of a Camry.

looking for alternative to my favorite APC-imageuploadedbyagonline1469438791-159455-jpg

That was the worst interior I've had to clean. It was wild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for alternative to my favorite APC-imageuploadedbyagonline1469437351-479071-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

lol. Thank you for the pics. Sometimes I think alot of us convince ourselves a product is better than it actually is because it was more expensive...or at least I'm pretty sure that is the case with myself and Mckee's APC+....so yeah, thanks for ruining my night

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    megs d101 works very well from anything in the interior to exterior. also very inexpensive...
    I second that

Post Thanks / Like

Meg's APC is awesome. I use it at 10:1 dilution for almost everything. At 4:1 dilution it makes a great tire and rim cleaner. I used to use Meg's Super Degreaser at 4:1 for tires but since I switched to the APC instead I find it actually cleans better. With SD I often had to clean twice, with APC the first time is usually perfect.

For the interior, works great on any surface including leather, fabric and carpet. Same goes for plastic or anything else inside the car except glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    megs d101 works very well from anything in the interior to exterior. also very inexpensive...
    I second this. D101 is a life saver. It is now my go to APC.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how D143 goes away and now everyone's favorite is D101...lol
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

If you are conscious and sensitive about APC total cost of ownership; my recommendation would be Megs D101 for general use around the house with OPC for your boutique cleanings. Yeah you will have two products but your TCO should increase. I just noticed that AGO doesn't carry D103 anymore; hmpf. If you want even more aggressive TCO, then try Zep Citrus for general use. And certainly don't buy the spray bottles but go for the gallons.

What I do for general use APC is something on the order of a $9-$11 APC gallon...... combined with a disinfectant/sanitizer concentrate that could be used in hospitals. On the latter product I have the same Zep gallon going on 6 years now and probably have enough for 15 more years. One capful of the Zep disinfectant (per the directions) in a 32 oz bottle with an APC solution and I have something I believe is better and retail products on the market in terms of power and affordability.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast