autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happens to Nano Ceramic coat after N years

bumping an old thread, so if you simply reapply another coat after it's lost its hydrophobic property after n years, it wont properly bond? (i think the answer is yes based on what i read in this post so far but just want some confirmation)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 623baller View Post
    bumping an old thread, so if you simply reapply another coat after it's lost its hydrophobic property after n years, it wont properly bond? (i think the answer is yes based on what i read in this post so far but just want some confirmation)
    In order to properly prep for a new layer of coating, I always recommend a deep cleaning consisting of a proper hand car wash, followed by the necessary chemical and mechanical decontamination steps. Afterwards, assess the condition of the paint... assuming it has been 1+ years since the vehicle was corrected/polished & coated, then the chances of having at least light wash induced marring is pretty high. If the vehicle was not maintained properly there may be swirl marks and other defects that should be removed.

If just light marring, simply proceed with a quick light polish, solvent wipe, then recoat. This is how I maintain my cars. Clean, decon, light polish, eraser, recoat... do this every 2-3 years.

If there are swirls and scratches, perform required paint correction prior to recoating.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    In order to properly prep for a new layer of coating, I always recommend a deep cleaning consisting of a proper hand car wash, followed by the necessary chemical and mechanical decontamination steps. Afterwards, assess the condition of the paint... assuming it has been 1+ years since the vehicle was corrected/polished & coated, then the chances of having at least light wash induced marring is pretty high. If the vehicle was not maintained properly there may be swirl marks and other defects that should be removed.

If just light marring, simply proceed with a quick light polish, solvent wipe, then recoat. This is how I maintain my cars. Clean, decon, light polish, eraser, recoat... do this every 2-3 years.

If there are swirls and scratches, perform required paint correction prior to recoating.
    I see the question more as not how to fix the original coating, but does it ever wear away? And, if not (and nobody seems to be able to give a strait answer to this) - if you plant on keeping a car for 15-20 years; do you want layers and layers of old coating on your paint?

While this may go against the thinking of anyone installing/selling coatings for a living - just hear me out.

If paint is peaks and valleys under a microscope - does the old coating ever come out of the valleys from polishing? Does it oxidize in the valleys over time making paint look dull?

It does on textured plastic coated with DLux - which is why I personally wouldn't coat any special car I planned one keeping for a very long time who's appearance is important to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I see the question more as not how to fix the original coating, but does it ever wear away? And, if not (and nobody seems to be able to give a strait answer to this) - if you plant on keeping a car for 15-20 years; do you want layers and layers of old coating on your paint?
    There is no way to answer this without some high tech lab. Coatings are so incredibly thin that all we can do is assume they have worn some, but we cannot know if it is gone or if it is still there after X amount of time. If you polish a vehicle before recoating, I would think it is highly likely that you are removing or at least removing almost all of the previous coating layer that, according to manufacturers, should be about 1 micron thick.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It does on textured plastic coated with DLux - which is why I personally wouldn't coat any special car I planned one keeping for a very long time who's appearance is important to me.
    Is it possible that DLUX wasn't properly leveled during application in this instance? I've gone through a lot of bottles of DLUX over the years, and have parts of my car that had been coated for over 2 years, and never had any discoloration or oxidation.

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post

thanks for the response, i do almost all the step you indicated except the light polish , the main reason , polishing a car can take a very long time.

would you say if i just apply another coat after 2~3 years without polishing would longevity be compromised because it's not grabbing onto the first coat rather than clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Zach for all of the information.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know if you have heard of a new coating called Gentoo. It is a very complex chemical that was developed by NASA for military use and for those reasons it is only applied by trained or certified applicators. All of the hype makes it look attractive so I'm wondering if this latest technology has any advantages over other coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sorb View Post
    I'd like to know if you have heard of a new coating called Gentoo. It is a very complex chemical that was developed by NASA for military use and for those reasons it is only applied by trained or certified applicators. All of the hype makes it look attractive so I'm wondering if this latest technology has any advantages over other coatings?
    Never heard of it. Caveat emptor. NASA and military use!! I would move on to something with a large and experienced user base.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I always get a chuckle when I see the "NASA and Military" use. As someone who's worked in that arena for a couple decades now, this seems to be one of the biggest gimics any marketing department can use. I've lost count of the products promised by vendors with similar usage claims and when you really press them you get answers like, "we gave a guy who works at X a sample and he really liked it", or "we have one customer assigned to unit Y who bought it for his personal use and uses it EVERY DAY!". Those are the more honest claims, and they suddenly become endorsements for the entire government. Many are far less honest and simply have no basis in fact.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

NASA used Tang too and that stuff sucked...
    What happens to Nano Ceramic coat after N years-tang-jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast