autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Many Here Incorporate a Cleaner Wax Into Their Detailing?

I have yet to give cleaner waxes a real go.
    I am interested in trying some out.

With all the confusion in brand labeling, I really just want to know what I am getting.
    If the product is labeled cleaner wax, but is more of a polish that is intended to be used by pad and machine, that is fine.
    I just want to know what I am getting.

My intention is to get more familiar with cleaner waxes.
    My goal is to find a product that adds some "pop" to the paint without a machine polishing.
    Maybe something that can be used as an LSP, or an in between step between cleaning and applying an LSP.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Many Here Incorporate a Cleaner Wax Into Their Detailing?

When it comes to Cleaner/Waxes, and their ilk...
    I find this Mike Phillips article to be very helpful:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-wax.html

{"Cliffs"}:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In simple terms a cleaner/wax is
    for restoring neglected paint.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

IME,

Before I started to use DA's with comopunds and "polishes", all I had was Megs cleaner wax.. i would only use this after wash and decontaminateion then top with ULW, only reason was i was looking for a super mild polish ahead of sealing on relatively good paint.. for a long time it was suffucient..

UNTIL the AG bug bit and i invested in a DA's and a ton of pads and numerous products..

Now the only time I use a cleaner wax (on a black waffle fine polish pad, Schholl) now is after a full correction, if after a 2 step (Scholl S3 then S20), then the CW, or after an AIO (eg scholl s20 or carpro reflect)...
    partially to help remove any small amount of polish on the paint, and just to gloss the surface ahead of LSP.. which for me is a sealent (ULW) topped with caranuba wax.. (Souveran or 845)

re using this in place of an LSP, I don't bother.. the protection is typically lower 9harsh sun where i am, hot and humid), and the finish level is a small step lower 9in depth, not so much in gloss) .. though with great surface prep its hard to split sometimes..
    I guess I use them primarily for the cleaning aspect, which with a super mild abrasive is also just prepping the surface for LSP...

Lemme know if you find a smarter application for it..

Post Thanks / Like

I run through a gallon of Meguiars 66 in about 2 weeks using both the Flex 3401 and the DeWalt 849. DA with a LCC white and the Perfect it II green (or blue to some) on the rotary. I average 20 cars a week and the 66 is used on about 80% of them.

LOVE the stuff to cover the small superficial swirl marks in customers paint.
    It's easy to be patriotic when all it takes is a bumper sticker.... Thank a vet.

www.superiorfinishar.com

Post Thanks / Like

When someone asks me for a 'wash and wax', I still reach for the Megs Cleaner Wax. Like Shadwell, it was my go-to wax for years on my daily drivers.....until I got a DA and realized that there are seemingly endless options out there. There will always be room on the shelf for it

Mike Phillips

IF you're detailing cars for money then a cleaner/wax should be a staple in your business. For the majority of your customers it should be your go-to product.

I teach this very important aspect of detailing cars on Saturday of my 3-day classes. Here's a fully picture documented example.

How to do high quality production detailing - Your largest market!

Mike Phillips

Here's another great example of how and why to use a cleaenr/wax...

Big results with very little time and effort - AIO in the Engine Compartment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    When it comes to Cleaner/Waxes, and their ilk...
    I find this Mike Phillips article to be very helpful:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-wax.html
    {"Cliffs"}:
    Bob
    Thank you, Bob.
    The article cited is fantastic.
    I have this saved to my files for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by shadwell View Post
    IME,
    Before I started to use DA's with comopunds and "polishes", all I had was Megs cleaner wax.. i would only use this after wash and decontaminateion then top with ULW, only reason was i was looking for a super mild polish ahead of sealing on relatively good paint.. for a long time it was suffucient..

UNTIL the AG bug bit and i invested in a DA's and a ton of pads and numerous products..

Now the only time I use a cleaner wax (on a black waffle fine polish pad, Schholl) now is after a full correction, if after a 2 step (Scholl S3 then S20), then the CW, or after an AIO (eg scholl s20 or carpro reflect)...
    partially to help remove any small amount of polish on the paint, and just to gloss the surface ahead of LSP.. which for me is a sealent (ULW) topped with caranuba wax.. (Souveran or 845)

re using this in place of an LSP, I don't bother.. the protection is typically lower 9harsh sun where i am, hot and humid), and the finish level is a small step lower 9in depth, not so much in gloss) .. though with great surface prep its hard to split sometimes..
    I guess I use them primarily for the cleaning aspect, which with a super mild abrasive is also just prepping the surface for LSP...

Lemme know if you find a smarter application for it..
    Thank you for your input.
    I am familiar with AIO's, I just don't favor them too much.
    I find them better suited for maintenance details, than one step corrections.
    I do appreciate the combinations you suggested and will give them a go in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by krzdimond View Post
    I run through a gallon of Meguiars 66 in about 2 weeks using both the Flex 3401 and the DeWalt 849. DA with a LCC white and the Perfect it II green (or blue to some) on the rotary. I average 20 cars a week and the 66 is used on about 80% of them.

I always hear good things about D66.
    I need to pick some up.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    When someone asks me for a 'wash and wax', I still reach for the Megs Cleaner Wax. Like Shadwell, it was my go-to wax for years on my daily drivers.....until I got a DA and realized that there are seemingly endless options out there. There will always be room on the shelf for it
    So, you used it by hand, not machine, correct?
    If so, applicator pad or mf towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    IF you're detailing cars for money then a cleaner/wax should be a staple in your business. For the majority of your customers it should be your go-to product.
    I teach this very important aspect of detailing cars on Saturday of my 3-day classes. Here's a fully picture documented example.
    How to do high quality production detailing - Your largest market!

Here's another great example of how and why to use a cleaenr/wax...
    Big results with very little time and effort - AIO in the Engine Compartment
    Thank Mike.
    Fantastic advice as always.
    Your article that Bob cited is an all time reference classic, thank you for writing it years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. My "Option 1" package is a wash, clay, polish wax.

I use Meguiar's M66. I'm always impressed with the amount of cleaning of defects, and gloss it provides.

I prefer pairing it with a grey ccs, white ccs, or LC crimson Hydrotech pad on the PC. The white Rupes pad on the Duetto.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krzdimond View Post

M66 is awesome. I also like it with the white LC pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast