autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with swirl marks!!!

Hello,

I recently bought a new car and today I tried taking the swirl marks off. I used Poorboy's SSR 1, 2.5, and 3 to no avail. I used LC pads with a Makita polisher and a Festool RO150. The only thing I can think of is that the polisher's useful life has expired. I tried these same procedures with my previous new car (about a year ago), and I was really happy with the results. Any ideas??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with swirl marks!!!-img_0458-jpg   Help with swirl marks!!!-img_0459-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with swirl marks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyboylr45 View Post
    Hello,

I recently bought a new car and today I tried taking the swirl marks off. I used Poorboy's SSR 1, 2.5, and 3 to no avail. I used LC pads with a Makita polisher and a Festool RO150. The only thing I can think of is that the polisher's useful life has expired. I tried these same procedures with my previous new car (about a year ago), and I was really happy with the results. Any ideas??
    What type of vehicle? It's relevant as different manufacturers have different paints and hardness levels.

I'm not familiar with the products you've mentioned through personal use. I take it your Makita is a rotary? Not familiar with the Festool either. Sander/polisher?

Anyway, the swirls you show aren't bad. Those would come out easily with most of the good polishes here from either Meg's Ulitmate Polish to HDSpeed or Even HDAdapt which is a diminishing compound that finishes as fine as a polish. I'd start both with an orange pad on a DA Buffer and you'll be in business.

Looking forward to your results.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The car is a 2016 Corvette. The Makita is a rotary and the Festool is both, rotary and RO. I'm stuck as I feel I worked the paint pretty good, at least longer than I ever have and nothing on the results.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I'm more amazed that after 8 years of joining the forum you made your first post, wow! Welcome dude!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I'm more amazed that after 8 years of joining the forum you made your first post, wow! Welcome dude!
    Gotta start somewhere. lol I'm surprised I even remembered the login.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be the newer car paint is harder as paint is nowadays and you will need more aggressive pads and compounds. AG has a massive range to spoil you with and everyone has their favorites so don't be shy to ask for opinions. I'll start, Meguiars M101,M100,Menzerna SHC300 and FG400,3D's AAT Compound are the ones I would add to my basket, others here will give you their choices.

Post Thanks / Like

The car is a 2016 Corvette. The Makita is a rotary and the Festool is both, rotary and RO. I'm stuck as I feel I worked the paint pretty good, at least longer than I ever have and nothing on the results.
    Gotcha. I've had a couple Vettes. They have very hard clear coats. Go with HDAdapt and an Orange Pad. First hand experience and you will love it. No need to use a separate polish. It will finish out beautifully on yours. I used to use others and others still work, but once I began using the HDProducts I fell in love. They really are amazingly good. I'm about to place another order for more from AG too.

If you do go with a compound and polish, I like Megs Ultimate Compound with an orange Pad. Finish it up with Menzerna Polish, newer labled 3500 or 3800 series. Both will finish excellently. Meg's Ultimate POlish is great too but I give an edge to Menzerna in terms of finishing out.

Lastly if you go HDAdapt and want to go one more level with polishing, use the AIO HDSpeed. It finishes out beautifully too. Dare I say even better than the Menzerna 3800.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Gotcha. I've had a couple Vettes. They have very hard clear coats. Go with HDAdapt and an Orange Pad. First hand experience and you will love it. No need to use a separate polish. It will finish out beautifully on yours. I used to use others and others still work, but once I began using the HDProducts I fell in love. They really are amazingly good. I'm about to place another order for more from AG too.

If you do go with a compound and polish, I like Megs Ultimate Compound with an orange Pad. Finish it up with Menzerna Polish, newer labled 3500 or 3800 series. Both will finish excellently. Meg's Ultimate POlish is great too but I give an edge to Menzerna in terms of finishing out.

Lastly if you go HDAdapt and want to go one more level with polishing, use the AIO HDSpeed. It finishes out beautifully too. Dare I say even better than the Menzerna 3800.
    Well, just placed an order of HDadapt. I'm going to give it a try on Wednesday when it arrives. If it works, I assume I can go straight to a wax or do I need to do the HDspeed and then the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just placed an order of HDadapt. I'm going to give it a try on Wednesday when it arrives. If it works, I assume I can go straight to a wax or do I need to do the HDspeed and then the wax?
    You can go right to a wax. HDSpeed is an all in one that contains HDPoxy but the longevity of it isn't something I've tested. I tend to use a separate sealant only because I'm funny like that. Even when I use HDSPeed I use another sealant or wax on top of it too. If you really want to have fun and see a product that will blow you away, try either Collinte 845 or 915. Again, they are some of the best kept secrets that usually only autogeeks know about. Looking forward to your thoughts.

In terms of Adapt, go easy on the product. It's thinner than most compounds you've used and it's easy to overload the pad. Use about 5 pads on the Vette.

1 for the Hood/Decklid/front and back
    2 on each side

Another great thing about Adapt is that it cleans off pads with ease too. LOL I just placed a big order too. Use that Monday discount promo for 15% off and Free shipping if your order qualifies.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself away from the festool and get a da designed for polishing cars, Rupes, GG etc. not a wood sander. I've never had to use a rotary on a vette, Rupes and micro cutting pad with m101 works great on corvette paint.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast