autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Sealant Question

Apply a coating 3 times a year? If you want to have to do something 3 times a year, use the HydrO2 as suggested earlier. I would want to get years out of a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually apply a sealant and that to me does the rick. Menzerna, Poorboy's, Polish Angel....any of them should do
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhohitsstevo View Post
    Mike is a coating harder to apply and make look good as a sealant? I know for coatings on paint it is way easier to apply a sealant then a coating. How easy was this to apply. And would applying 3 times a year be good enough how long did you find it to really last?
    Hydro2 looks awesome. Once every couple of months, after you clean the wheels, maybe takes 30 seconds a wheel to apply and rinse?

I do it when I wash my car once in awhile. Maybe give my wheels a deeper clean with a wheel cleaner than the normal clean and apply Hydro2 right after. Nothing is easier to apply to wheels than Hydro2, period!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is a coating harder to apply and make look good as a sealant? I know for coatings on paint it is way easier to apply a sealant then a coating. How easy was this to apply. And would applying 3 times a year be good enough how long did you find it to really last?
    This coating is very easy to apply. Below is a video of me installing the PBL paint coating. I applied the wheel coating in the wheel thread the same way.

I only apply a wheel coating when the wheels are removed from the vehicle. You should get a year durability if maintained properly. If not removed, then I would look into CarPro Hydro2. You can also maintain the wheel coating with Hydro2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    This coating is very easy to apply. Below is a video of me installing the PBL paint coating. I applied the wheel coating in the wheel thread the same way.

I only apply a wheel coating when the wheels are removed from the vehicle. You should get a year durability if maintained properly. If not removed, then I would look into CarPro Hydro2. You can also maintain the wheel coating with Hydro2.
    Mike- I understand that you're wiping to level and want to do this before the product flashes. So, aren't you essentially wiping a majority of the product off? How does one assure wiping off the correct amount vs. too much or too little?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Mike- I understand that you're wiping to level and want to do this before the product flashes. So, aren't you essentially wiping a majority of the product off? How does one assure wiping off the correct amount vs. too much or too little?
    Very good question. Interested in the answer also.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't attest to the durability as I just applied it today, but I was very happy with the finished product using McKee's wheel coating today for the first time. Very easy to use, just a couple spritzes on a foam finger applicator for each wheel, I let it sit for a moment then buffed to a shine. I've never used a wheel coating (first car that's had alloys) and wanted something that wouldn't break the bank. Based on the reviews here it should fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I can't attest to the durability as I just applied it today, but I was very happy with the finished product using McKee's wheel coating today for the first time. Very easy to use, just a couple spritzes on a foam finger applicator for each wheel, I let it sit for a moment then buffed to a shine. I've never used a wheel coating (first car that's had alloys) and wanted something that wouldn't break the bank. Based on the reviews here it should fit the bill.
    I just ordered it glad to see you are happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Very good question. Interested in the answer also.
    No not really. In the video, I demonstrate give the panel a few wipes in different directions. This allows the product to spread and flash pretty evenly by the time I get to leveling with the mf towel. If I were to swipe the applicator in one direction only and then proceed to wipe off, I probably would remove a bit more than they way I normally do it.

After you swipe the panel in varying directions, it allows the product to be worked in evenly and cure. When you get to the wipeout point, most of the product has flashed into the paint and you are beginning to remove the high spot residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Carpro Hydro2! Spray on hose off! Dont have to worry about working coatings or sealants into wheel nooks and crannies. There simply is not anything that could be easier to apply to wheels.
    Agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast