autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get scratches off stainless nerf bars?

Like the title states I am curious how to get scratches off my nerf bars? The bars are not even two months old and someone stepped on the metal and not the step pad and scratched it quite noticeably.

I used my DA polisher and some Meguiars Ultimate polish on it and it didn't do anything. I always thought stainless was a lot tougher than what I am experiencing.

Any suggestions?
    2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn QC True Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get scratches off stainless nerf bars?

You will need to go super heavy duty. You have to actually remove metal down to the level of the scratch to actually eliminate it. You can polish it to make the sharp edges slope down into the bottom of the scratch and that will make it far less noticeable.

But to fully remove it you will probably need to remove the bar and polish it using a buffing wheel. And I mean a 12 inch on a one horsepower spindle. You will need to use white (or green) rouge on that wheel to remove all traces of the scratch.

It can be done with a heavy duty plug in drill motor and a four inch buffing felt wheel but be prepared to spend several hours at it.

Now this will only work if it is actually solid stainless. If it is chrome plated then nothing will remove it totally.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any luck with removing scratches on nerf bars,unless there painted black from the factory,then you can clean them up with great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    You will need to go super heavy duty. You have to actually remove metal down to the level of the scratch to actually eliminate it. You can polish it to make the sharp edges slope down into the bottom of the scratch and that will make it far less noticeable.

But to fully remove it you will probably need to remove the bar and polish it using a buffing wheel. And I mean a 12 inch on a one horsepower spindle. You will need to use white (or green) rouge on that wheel to remove all traces of the scratch.

It can be done with a heavy duty plug in drill motor and a four inch buffing felt wheel but be prepared to spend several hours at it.

Now this will only work if it is actually solid stainless. If it is chrome plated then nothing will remove it totally.
    Unfortunately I think you may be right based upon the fact when I used the DA it really did nothing. Not happy about this.

This was just done with some beach sand that was on the bottom of my daughters sneakers.
    2014 Ram 1500 4X4 Big Horn QC True Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see the pictures as on my phone, but stainless is surprisingly easy to sand. Unlike clearcoat it is not a coating but is all the way through the same. That said it requires using buffing wheels and metal compounds. I got a flexible shaft that you attach to a drill and a small 4" sisal wheel kit from Princess Auto (I am in Canada) that included the white green and red bars. I would try the green first and see. If that t doesn't get it, then sand with least aggressive grit you have. The green will remove 1500-2000 grit using the sisal. You then should use a sewn cotton wheel and the white to make it shine. The red is like finish polish is for paint so a soft cotton wheel is best. A quality metal polish will also work well.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Try mothers mag wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a polishing pad, do not ever again use it to polish your paint. There will be microscopic metal shavings in the pad that will never wash out.