autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magic eraser on leather?

well, i absolutely WILL use a magic eraser on leather when the situation calls for it. I use it with meguiars d101 and if used appropriately then just because it's abrasive and CAN remove the leathers coating doesn't mean you can't go about using it safely. If you're cleaning leather that is heavily soiled I'm pretty sure you could do plenty of damage by using a super strong chemical and scrubbing the #### out of it with a soft bristled scrub brush or a non-abrasive scrub pad.

Post Thanks / Like

just to add fire to the flame I use it all the time on paint as well lol

Post Thanks / Like

I never did use it on the leather but after doing a lot of research, leather in cars now days isn't even real leather more then half the time and if it is real leather it's still coated around it... Kinda like paint to clear coat... But yea I just used CG cleaner and conditioner with a application pad followed with a MF. I can't risk experimenting with clients vehicles nor do I want to on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Magic eraser on leather?

I had a gentleman use magic eraser on his paint there was nothing I could do for him though. He is used it to remove a scratch and I think it was use with toothpaste or WD-40 and it went right through paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny94 View Post
    I had a gentleman use magic eraser on his paint there was nothing I could do for him though. He is used it to remove a scratch and I think it was use with toothpaste or WD-40 and it went right through paint.

Like I said. It's effective when used appropriately. A magic eraser is abrasive but I know from experience that it isn't as aggressive as 3000 grit sand paper although in my opinion it's just as effective as 3,000 or 5000 grit on isolated small scratches and transfer, especially in hard to reach areas. If you believe that he was using the magic eraser and then all of a sudden he realized he had sanded straight through his clear and then just ignored the rest of the base color transferring onto the eraser then I am at a loss for words.... I wonder what other folklore he believes. Did he ever mention anything to you about the time he went camping with his bff Paul Bunyan? Or about the year he spent with Brer Rabbit just hanging out together in the briar patch? I'm just messing with you man, I'm sure it's possible I just can't imagine taking a magic eraser to my paint if i wasn't experienced with wet sanding and paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Like I said. It's effective when used appropriately. A magic eraser is abrasive but I know from experience that it isn't as aggressive as 3000 grit sand paper although in my opinion it's just as effective as 3,000 or 5000 grit on isolated small scratches and transfer, especially in hard to reach areas. If you believe that he was using the magic eraser and then all of a sudden he realized he had sanded straight through his clear and then just ignored the rest of the base color transferring onto the eraser then I am at a loss for words.... I wonder what other folklore he believes. Did he ever mention anything to you about the time he went camping with his bff Paul Bunyan? Or about the year he spent with Brer Rabbit just hanging out together in the briar patch? I'm just messing with you man, I'm sure it's possible I just can't imagine taking a magic eraser to my paint if i wasn't experienced with wet sanding and paint correction.
    Now I'm just confused?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    Now I'm just confused?
    IMO...
    To avoid any and all confusion
    regarding using Magic Erasers
    on automotive leather appointments:
    Just heed Judyb's below advice.

Quote Originally Posted by judyb View Post
    Magic erasers should never be used
    to clean leather unless you are going
    to refinish the leather

Cheers
    Judyb

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i may have gone a bit off the reservation with that post. Judyb offers sound advice but I am of the belief that when you use the magic eraser it shouldn't be for something you could have removed with APC and a soft bristled brush. It should only be used in situations where you need to step up your aggressiveness. If I had to chose between a stronger chemical and stiffer brush or the magic eraser. I absolutely reach for the magic eraser. The magic eraser CAN remove the coating from leather just like the rotary buffer CAN burn through your paint. They both present a higher level of risk but its also incredibly easy to manage that risk....for me I damn near eliminate the risk by using a wool pad and running my rotary between 600-1000 rpms and also by not rubbing or using hardly any pressure when a situation calls for me to bring out the trusty ol' magic eraser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    I never did use it on the leather but after doing a lot of research, leather in cars now days isn't even real leather more then half the time and if it is real leather it's still coated around it... Kinda like paint to clear coat... But yea I just used CG cleaner and conditioner with a application pad followed with a MF. I can't risk experimenting with clients vehicles nor do I want to on mine.
    That is completely understandable and I applaud you for not taking just the opinions from this forum as gospel. I HIGHLY recommend keeping one with you in your brush/interior detailing bucket when you detail customers cars. They work phenomenal at removing scuffs (especially those black streaks at the bottom of the driver and sometimes even passenger door. It should never be the first thing you reach for but it can safely remove stubborn scuffs that would otherwise require some strong solvent or excessive scrubbing with a stiff brush.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Magic eraser is totally fine depending on the color of the leather/plastic. Light color leather is fine but do not scrub with force. However, dark color leather I never use magic eraser, but a brush and vapor steamer. Take my advice or not, or learn the hard way in the future. Magic eraser is not the problem, but the inappropriate technique and usage is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast