autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently painted 1966 Mustang need help

Hi Mike,
    The car was returned to us from the painter with polishing compound all over the car. Stripped to bare metal, body work, primed, painted with Prowler Orange paint, 3 coats of clear coat.
    We hand washed the car, to reveal many issues. Dirt in paint, bubbles, swirl marks, and over spray looks like primer. (Over spray on all parts of painted areas, and our new mag wheels, and bumpers, not a little, a lot.) There are some areas of compound that we could not remove with washing. After we washed it my nephew used a polishing compound applied by hand. It did not remove the over spray. What steps should we take to get the paint looking presentable. We do not want the man that restored the car to ever work on it. I am a big fan of the clay bar, I used it on my daily driver last year. The light did not help, I am waiting for the aggressive type to be delivered. What else do we need to do? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recently painted 1966 Mustang need help

I'm sure Mike will chime in when he has time, but he's fond of saying something along the lines of "it's the guy that does the cut and buff who makes the paint job", and sometimes that guy isn't the painter.

Do you know if the painter sanded between coats of clear or after?

Post Thanks / Like

Hot hot hot water for the compound. You going to have to fashion a few make shift tools to get into all the cracks and crevasses, with a towell wrapped around it. If your aggressive clay bar doesn't work you may have to wet sand the primer off. Primer on fresh paint is tricky. I would take as many pictures of the vehicle as possible to document any damage just in case. When I was in the clean up department at our shop, the painters and helpers didn't bother to wipe ANY compound out of anything. I definitely feel your pain! Good luck and be patient! Feel free pm me. I'm sure Mike will have lots of info.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay it and also try mineral spirits to remove any over spray

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    Hot hot hot water for the compound. You going to have to fashion a few make shift tools to get into all the cracks and crevasses, with a towell wrapped around it. If your aggressive clay bar doesn't work you may have to wet sand the primer off. Primer on fresh paint is tricky. I would take as many pictures of the vehicle as possible to document any damage just in case. When I was in the clean up department at our shop, the painters and helpers didn't bother to wipe ANY compound out of anything. I definitely feel your pain! Good luck and be patient! Feel free pm me. I'm sure Mike will have lots of info.
    Thanks, the tough areas are where the top meets the bright trim around side window areas for compound. Your suggestion is noted.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the tough areas are where the top meets the bright
    trim around side window areas for compound. Your suggestion is noted.
    I am having trouble replying to the other posts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Astronomy; the painter did all body work, he told us the car was buffed and wet sanded 3 times.
    7 paint guns; Thanks. It has been painful.
    refresh auto; Thanks. Duely noted.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

((((I was told the buffing would take over spray off. In my inexperienced female mind it seems buffing would just grind the primer into the paint. The car was painted in April of this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lu2677 View Post
    ((((I was told the buffing would take over spray off. In my inexperienced female mind it seems buffing would just grind the primer into the paint. The car was painted in April of this year.
    That's why I would try to sand it off with some 2500 wet sanding paper with a firm, but not hard block. The primer has most likely etched itself into the clear and won't come off with clay or chemicals. Where are you located btw?

Mike Phillips

I'd like to say I'm shocked!

But I'm not.... and I do feel your pain....

Probably the wisest choice is to never take it back to this painter as it's obvious he doesn't have a clue as to how to work on paint after it comes out of the paint booth.

My guess is the paint is a swirled-out mess and by this I mean the guy used a rotary buffer and left holograms everywhere in the paint.

Here's how I would tackle it and I tackled a black Corvette with this same type of issues just recently, that is it had overspray paint over the entire car, paint, glass, trim, etc. and was horribly swirls out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer.

1969 Corvette Stingray - Cobra Clay Mitt Review

Bonded Contaminants
    Besides horrible holograms after doing the Baggie Test I found the paint was also contaminated. I used some detailing clay to gauge how bad the contamination was.

The contamination you see below was collected off the paint after claying only one half of the deck lid.

The good news is you can fix it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast