autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if you could give me some input/help regarding my "new" car. Bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima, black, used. It was a company's fleet car so you can imagine that it was probably sent thru the car-wash about one million times. When took it home, next day in full sunshine I saw the very (more than expected) sad condition of the paint, swirls along with scratches, even chips. I had a 7 day "satisfaction guarantee" so I addressed my concern to the dealer that at the price I paid it should be in excellent condition. I was actually hoping for a price reduction but instead the dealer said they would polish the paint. I accepted it, knowing I could not afford it. They took the car to a detailing company for polishing (and tinting). During the day I got a text from the dealer saying that the detailing company said the car needs a couple of more layers of buffing to get the swirls out. That just did not sound good. When I got the car back at 10 pm, with the coach light hitting the hood, I almost got a heart attack. I was not even mad that the car was full of splashes from getting the tinting done. Or that they did not even touch the wheels (I needed the paint done, not the wheels). Or that they did not even wipe the MUD off the door jambs (they did not even open the door probably). It was full of buffer marks! So of course I said right away that this is not cool, needs to be done. After some time, dealer said they would have someone else to do it. I told them I do not need a wax/detail, I need paint correction. They said yeah, okay, no problem, they get it right. Dropped the car off yesterday morning, went to pick up today, it looked almost the same. They did put some wax on it, I can tell but the holograms/marring are still there. I can see some areas on trunk, where it looks pretty good, but the rest of the car is the same. The top of the car still looks like someone cleaned it with steel wool. Literally Horrible. I showed to the manager, he said the car looks awesome, what I see it dust because the car was sitting outside in the morning, then he licks his thumb and rubs the top He did not even see what I was talking about... I told him I traded in an 18 year old black car and it looked better than this one year old. He said he spent a butt-load of money on this car and he is done, nothing more he can do. So I guess I am stuck with the damaged clear coat because I do not have the cash to pay 1-2K for that right now

Anyway, sorry for the much detailed story, what I am trying to ask is... Do you think I can (slowly), by myself take care of this and get some of this ugly stuff out? I have zero experience and do not expect to hear the recipe here, buy the product and do it in an afternoon. I was just wondering if there is a way to fix this by hand over time. I was thinking to get some product you guys would recommend and work tiny areas at a time, (wash, clay, compound, wax one panel, or even half a panel at a time) and see how it comes out, etc. I do not dare to go aggressive on this, as I have no idea how thin the clear coat is. I believe the car has extra soft paint, so I might be able to make a difference?
    I don't even know what to think. I am probably stuck with the marring and holograms. I have been reading the forum since I bought the car and noticed the paint problem (sept 1), and I am amazed of the knowledge you have and admire your work. I do not expect to learn how to do a pro's job. Just to find out if I can make it better myself, or should I let it go and don't even try...?!
    Thank you for your time reading this. Pictures attached.
    Maria
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh-maxi1-jpg   Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh-maxi2-jpg   Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh-maxi3-jpg   Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh-maxi4-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Double failure on a 2014 black Nissan Maxima... ugh

Wow you weren't kidding! Those buffer trails and holograms are bad. Not trying to be pessimistic but I am thinking this will need some DA love and not be possible by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you buy it from dealer,if so call company head quarters and complain.Bring it to a reputable detailer in your area lay out the money and have the dealer pay for it,but get that in writing.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to need to machine that stuff out I'm afraid. It will, however, come out great when done!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your honesty, guys! I really appreciate it. Not sure what to do at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, if you could correct it yourself would be the way to go. Obviously, a rotary buffer was used and that person had no experience. Taking it again to the dealership will IMO cause more problems. You have taken your ride there 2 times with little success.

The problem can be corrected with a polish with a DA done by you! What a better way to learn correction then now. At least that is what I would do.

I would be afraid they would still not fix the problem....that's why I say do it yourself. The only other way to get it corrected is by a reputable detailer in your area. AGO may have some sources for you.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    To be honest, if you could correct it yourself would be the way to go. Obviously, a rotary buffer was used and that person had no experience. Taking it again to the dealership will IMO cause more problems. You have taken your ride there 2 times with little success.

The problem can be corrected with a polish with a DA done by you! What a better way to learn correction then now. At least that is what I would do.

I would be afraid they would still not fix the problem....that's why I say do it yourself. The only other way to get it corrected is by a reputable detailer in your area. AGO may have some sources for you.

I think this is good advice. The main question I have is something you raised in your original post, how thin is the clear coat at the moment. If this has been under multiple rotary polishers I would want to know what is left entire diving into too much more correction. The DA's like GG6" or Flex/Rupes take off very little clear coat but still I think it would be prudent to get that assessed. A reputable detailer will have a tool for that.

Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Did you buy it from dealer,if so call company head quarters and complain.Bring it to a reputable detailer in your area lay out the money and have the dealer pay for it,but get that in writing.
    I probably will contact head quarters, but I am going to have to put the story in writing, send it in certified mail and wait for respond.
    I feel bad for them also because they did probably spent a lot of money to have it polished twice (!) but I don't think I should be accepting this situation just because they can not find a person who knows what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butacska View Post
    I probably will contact head quarters, but I am going to have to put the story in writing, send it in certified mail and wait for respond.

I feel bad for them also because they did probably spent a lot of money to have it polished twice (!) but I don't think I should be accepting this situation just because they can not find a person who knows what they are doing.

Agreed - they made the choice to use the specific detailer and now you are simply asking to have a different detailer (with multiple bids maybe) to remedy the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butacska View Post
    I wouldn't feel bad for them, I seriously doubt they paid much for that work. They may have never even taken it off of their lot.

I'm just curious why you didn't inspect the vehicle more thoroughly in the daylight prior to purchasing it? That's going to be an issue, you took delivery of the vehicle and signed the paper work.

As above posters mentioned, your best bet will probably be to find a forum member to do the work for you. Hope it all works out for you.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast