autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

baked brake dust

hey everyone

what is everyones go-to to removing baked brake dust? and whats the process for everyone. i know it different for everyone. and what do you guys charge i someone just the baked brake dust removed?

thanks ace

Post Thanks / Like

Re: baked brake dust

When removing baked brake dust I use a product like iron-x or sonax full effect, and clay the wheel first then if that don't work I would go the acid route but if you are doing this for the customer just try to remove as much as you can then leave it alone cause you don't want to risk ruing someone else wheel/rims with acid

Post Thanks / Like

Megs Wheel Brightner and a Daytona brush

-or-

Iron X paste and a soft MF towel.

Either way some gentle elbow grease is required.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    When removing baked brake dust I use a product like iron-x or sonax full effect, and clay the wheel first then if that don't work I would go the acid route but if you are doing this for the customer just try to remove as much as you can then leave it alone cause you don't want to risk ruing someone else wheel/rims with acid
    100%. If sonax full effect, ironx, iron out, or trix won't remove it you can try steam...other than that leave it alone or have the wheels refinished.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some good results with some metal polish and one of those small brown two ended brushes that look like a toothbrush. I used a kit that came with a cone for a drill and got most of the brake dust off on the flat areas that you can get good pressure on, and finished up all the corners and around the valve with the brush and just scrubbed the polish around. It was VERY time consuming though. I did it on a Dodge ram with 20" rims that had the chrome rims covers, and it took me just under 2 hours to do all 4. It came out great, and I kind of expected some scratch marks from the brush that I might have had to get out, but there weren't any at all.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you guys removed the wheels?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

how much do you guys charge?

Post Thanks / Like

If the customer want's the barrel's of their wheel's clean, and they give me permission to remove them, then yes I will remove them but If the car is rare, one of a kind, etc then I will leave the wheel's on the vehicle removing as much dirt as I possibly can and I charge between 10, and 15 dollars extra per wheel

Post Thanks / Like

My process for wheels is usually...

Wash with dedicated wheel cleaner (dictated by the type of wheel) but usually AF Imperial/Sonax FE/Megs All Wheel and Tire Cleaner

Dry off the wheels

Tar removal with either AF Oblitarate / Autoglym intensive tar remover. Remember tar spots are generally bigger than iron spots so you want to remove these first to expose the under-lying iron spots.

Rinse with hot water to remove any traces of the tar remover so that the iron remover can get to work on the actual iron not the film covering it.

Dry the wheel to ensure the iron remover does not run off the wheel as quickly.

Iron removal with AF Iron out and Daytona Jnr

If there is still remaining iron, I will hit it again.

If there is still iron, that is as far as I take it.

Then clean off with APC to neutralize any acidic residue from the iron remover.

Dry and seal.

Post Thanks / Like

For stubborn baked on break dust the Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener works extremely well providing the wheels aren't bare aluminum.
    I dilute it 2:1.
    IMO there's nothing better, once sprayed you quickly begin to see the break dust loosen , then I use a brush to agitate it and rinse very well.

Before I found out about the D140 I had this truck I worked on years ago, it was so bad nothing worked, the wheels had clear coat so I did a little wet sanding then polished by hand, came out nice and it was quick.
    But now since I have the D140 there's no wheel too dirty that it won't remove baked on break dust, not saying it would all be removed with only one application but the second one would surly get them clean.

You must be careful when using it being it's an acid based wheel cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast