autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Overheating FLEX 3401

Hey guys, I am in the middle of a two stage paint correction and Im starting to notice my FLEX getting really hot. The product is flashing quickly so I stopped as soon as I noticed it. I was using a 50 foot 12g cord... Is that the issue??? Confused.. I searched and mostly saw issues with incorrect power cords.

Input please...Trying to use that instead of the PC for the remainder of the job... Especially because I only have 4 inch pads for PC.....

EDIT--- I have found a good answer. SORRY

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...xc-3401-a.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overheating FLEX 3401

Mine runs very hot also, don't know why. I know some people on here either grease or lube theirs and they say it helps some. I have had mine for over two years now, has always ran very hot, but other than that it runs like a champ.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I've searched and can't figure out what's going on... I called Flex and since I'm out of warranty all I can do is send it in and see what they say...

Does this look normal? Trying to figure this out on my own to save time and money...

What areas can I clean up? Do I need to lube something? Please help if you have some insight

Thanks - Bob

Edit: it's missing a screw, surely that can't be right.... I have never taken the BP off before today though???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, check this out re: lubing the felt ring on the Flex - maybe this would help?

Good luck!

FLEX 3401 Spitting out Black Flecks of Plastic

Mike Phillips

Lubricating the Felt Ring on the Flex 3401

First there is no official recommendation from Flex on this procedure but most owners of the Flex 3401 like to lubricate the Felt Ring to ensure there are no issues between it and the hard plastic backing material that it comes into contact with during operation.

For preventative maintenance reasons, it's okay to lubricate the felt ring after purchase and periodically depending upon how much use your Flex 3401 sees.

What to use?I went to NAPA and purchased some Air Tool Lubricant, (see picture), but any light machine oil should work including the traditional 3-in-1 Oil.

Here's the felt ring on the Flex 3401

Here I've placed some oil on my finger ...

and then spread it onto the felt ring...

You can see the oil penetrate into the felt to lubricate it and from here it will migrate through the felt...

You could also place some drops around the felt ring and then spread it and work it in using your finger...

This brand new Flex 3401 is ready to go to work for a new project next week...

Mike Phillips

I show this in this video also.... lots of good info, tips and techniques in the DVD...

How To Properly Use Flex Polishers DVD

I just clicked the link above and the DVD is $12.99

Not much for the info it shares and it's all shot in high definition and I'd say one of the better videos Yancy and I have put together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys! Heading to pick up some Air Tool Lubricant now.

I noticed I failed to mention that it got hot enough to the point of creating smoke through the pad. It wasn't a pretty sight to say the least. It wasn't a lot of smoke, but any smoke at all is alarming. Do you think lubricating the felt ring could fix this extreme issue of overheating?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by b0b View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! Heading to pick up some Air Tool Lubricant now.

I noticed I failed to mention that it got hot enough to the point of creating smoke through the pad. It wasn't a pretty sight to say the least. It wasn't a lot of smoke, but any smoke at all is alarming. Do you think lubricating the felt ring could fix this extreme issue of overheating?

The smoke through the pad is probably more to downward pressure over time and the pad getting wet with product and thus seeping into the pad until it is in contact with the backing plate.

Switch to a clean dry pad. Especially when using closed cell pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The smoke through the pad is probably more to downward pressure over time and the pad getting wet with product and thus seeping into the pad until it is in contact with the backing plate.

Switch to a clean dry pad. Especially when using closed cell pads.

You're awesome, Mike. Thank you more than you will ever know, not just for this but EVERYTHING you do for us at AG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing I need to find a screw to get in there too... Anybody care to offer some advice here? I just find it weird that unit came missing a screw.