autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

E-Z chip repair on an Infiniti M37

So I did it. I ordered the $49.99 kit from their website in hope to repair a few chips on my 2011 Infiniti M37s in Liquid Platinum.

The had a promotion going on to get an extra color for free, so I got the black to match up to my 2003 Centennial Edition Ford Explorer. With this being the older vehicle, I used it as the test vehicle.

The results on the Explorer were fair, not great, but it gave me hopes to correct the smaller chip on my bumper of the M37.

Boy was I wrong. To begin with, the color (K23) did not match. I was not too concerned as the chip was very small to begin with. The main problem was the solution they give you to remove the excess paint. Not only did it remove the excess, but it removed the original paint in and around the chip all the way down to the primer.

No, I did not scrub or do anything harsh and the explorer did just fine in this area. To cover up the issues I just coated it back down with the e-z chip paint and let it be. Now it is an eyesore to say the least and the quote from the body shop is $450.00 to re-do the entire bumper.

Is there anything else I can do or have I dun goofed?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-Z chip repair on an Infiniti M37

Pic of the damage

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd polish off the EZ chip stuff, purchase Dr. Color Chip, and repair the chips with that.

You can purchase DCC at AGO or directly from DCC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    I'd polish off the EZ chip stuff, purchase Dr. Color Chip, and repair the chips with that.

You can purchase DCC at AGO or directly from DCC.
    +1 for Dr. color chip I did amazing work with over 25 chips from rocks and filled in a 5mm chip with perfect color match.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely get Dr. Colorchip...I did two of my vehicles this year and they turned out great.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. I was debating on either this or DCC. Contact them and let them know of your issue.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for DCC, most of the chips are invisible. For deeper chips, I had better success blobbing on the paint and letting it dry for a few hours before using the blob remover liquid. Make sure to use it in a very well ventilated area, the fumes are really strong.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

EZ Chip sucks. Their customer service in non extant. They do not even guarantee it will work.

My experience with Dr. Color Chip was positive. I really had good results with it. It was easy to use and worked as advertised.

My mistake, I needed to repair some chips and the DCC was all gone. So I got cheap and ordered some EZ Chit. The paint went on as usual but come time to remove the step 2 would not remove the extra paint. I ended up having to machine polish the EZ Chit off.
    I was soo pissed. I threw that EZ crap in the garbage.

I just recevied my new order of Dr. Color Chip today and it worked perfecly on the same car, same chips, same technique same everything but the product.

Did I mention EZ Chip SUCKS!!!