autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Quick Meguiars Question from Mexico

I get questions via PM and E-mail all the time and while I never mind answering questions, the thing is typing time is leveraged best on a public forum where hundreds, maybe thousands of eyeballs will see the questions and the answers for years to come into the future. That's where the typing time becomes win/win for everyone.

Of course, when I get questions via e-mail I always give the nutshell answer and the link for the person to register with our forum so in the future they can post their questions to the forum themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel

Hi Mike,

Im Daniel from Mexico City and I have 2 questions, Im an amateur on this so thats why i want to ask this simple questions:

I just bought two Meguiars products:
    1 Meguiars NXT 2.0 WAX
    2 Ultimate Quick Detailer

I have some questions about them, I just bought a new car and I wash my car every week so I have the following doubts:

1 Can I use this products on my new car?
    Yes. The paint on a new car is baked on at the factory and by the time the car leaves the assembly plant the paint is fully cured and you can wax it the day you buy it and drive it home.

2 How often do I need to use the Meguiars NXT 2.0 ? Here in Mexico it rains almost daily so i don't know if i need to use this more often since it usually rains here.
    How often you have to wax a car depends on how the car is "touched" after the wax is applied.

If you wash the car carefully like I share in my how-to book, this is called "The careful approach", then you won't have to re-apply another coat of wax than you would if you were to run your car through any type of car wash where you're not doing the actual washing.

This includes brush style car washes, mop style car washes, touchless car washes and 100% hand car washes.

And the reason why is because NO ONE will treat your car as careful as you will because you are the one that cares and has the incentive to be careful.

When you wash a car, the rubbing action of touching a wash mitt back and forth over the surface will micro-abrade off a coat of wax. That's if your careful. Think about how much worse this will be for ANY washing process that is not this careful.

What I recommend is get a super high quality Lambs Wool wash mitt, like the CarPro Wash mitt or the Dodo Juice Wookie's Fist wash mitt and when you wash your car,

FOCUS ON THE TASK AT HAND
    By this I mean you only have to make one or two passes over the surface to loosen any topical dirt so you can then rinse it off.

Now follow me on this....

If there is dirt on the car, and you do loosen it when your rub a wash mitt over the surface, IF YOU KEEP RUBBING THE WASH MITT OVER THE SURFACE AGAIN AND AGAIN, then you are grinding the dirt into the paint causing swirls and also removing any wax.

Most people don't think about what they are doing when they wash a car, what I'm saying is to --> think about it. That is if your car's finish is important to you.

You only need to make a few passes over each square inch to loosen any topical dirt and then rinse and move on.

The benefit?
    Not only will you reduce washing induces swirls and scratches but your wax will last longer.

3 Since I wash my car every week, Can I use the ultimate quick detailer every time I wash my car? or using this so often can harm my car's paint?
    If you mean,

Can I use the ultimate quick detailer AFTER every time I wash my car?

Then the answer is yes.

If you mean, can you use the Ultimate Quick Detailer as the car wash to wash your car?

Only if the car is lightly dusty, as in dust that you can blow off with a strong breath of air AND you use the product HEAVY or WET. That means, USE A LOT OF PRODUCT so that you hyper-lubricate the surface.

If you want to use a spray detailer to wash your car though, there are actual "Waterless Washes" that are better suited for the job.

Ultimate Quik Detailer is like a "Date Night" spray detailer in that it is a more high end product than just a simple spray detailer.

4 Which product do I need to use first? Meguiars 2.0 or Ultimate Quick Detailer?
    The first thing you do is wash and dry the car. Next you mist on the UQD, spread it around with one side of a clean microfiber towel and then turn to a dry side and wipe the surface to a dry shine. Have plenty of clean, dry microfiber towels on hand for this process.

5 If I use the ultimate quick detailer to eliminate the dust, do i need to wash the car first and then use it, or can I apply this directly in the car without removing the dust?
    Spray detailers like Ultimate Quick Detailer are for removing,

• Light dust
    • Fingerprints
    • Smudges

If you have more than light dust you should wash the car first. Then you can wipe the paint down with the UQD to give the car that,

"Just detailed look"

I really hope you can answer my questions because I really want to start using these products so I can protect my car now that is new.

Thank You Mike

Greetings from Mexico

Daniel

Thank you Danial for some really great questions, I know what it feels like to purchase a brand new car and at the price you pay it's only natural to want to take care of the exterior paint as best as you can so it will look good and last over the service life of the car.

In my next reply I will include some links on topics related to your questions that you can read in your leisure...