autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job"

1956 Ford F150 paint polished by Mike Phillips circa 2006 in Escondido, California

The reason for this is because clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive and what this means but can sometimes be hard to wrap your mind around is that even though modern clear coat paints are harder than traditional single stage paints, (the only two major paint systems that have been used since we stopped riding horses and started driving cars), they still will scratch easily.

Since your car is black, any defect shows up easily to your eyes.

It is very difficult to maintain a 100% swirls and scratch free finish on a daily drive with black paint. The people that I know that own black cars PURPOSEFULLY and keep them looking brand new all the time also do something to the paint every other week.

By "do something to the paint", I mean besides washing them carefully, they also machine apply a wax every other week or pay someone to machine apply a wax every other week.

By re-waxing often, fine swirls and scratches are either removed or masked, doesn't matter which because the end result is the same, a nice looking black finish.

You can do the same thing by using any premium quality finishing wax and some spray-on waxes.

White paint or silver metallic tends to be good choices of colors for people that don't want to see swirls and scratches because it's more difficult to see these types of defects on these light colors. It's not that the swirls and scratches are not there, it's just more difficult to see.

While I agree that nothing looks better than a car with a highly and correctly polished black finish, maintaining a black finish on a daily driver is a full time job. You will need to educate yourself on what I call the 3 P's, that is,

• Paint
    • Products
    • Procedures

You need to know a little bit about each category in order to either do the job yourself or to hire someone and ensure they know what they are doing.

Educate Yourself
    The best way to educate yourself is to read a lot on a forum like this, AutogeekOnline.net, watch videos on our YouTube Channel and attend any detailing class you can clear your schedule and attend. If you can attend one of my Detailing Boot Camp Classes I guarantee you will not only learn a lot but you'll also have a lot of fun at the same time.

Mike Phillips

Re: "Black is not a color, it's a full time job"

Here's a few black cars I've buffed out in my life, not all of them but a few...

2006 Black Mosler

1954 Corvette with antique black lacquer paint

1960 Corvette with black enamel paint

1966 Corvette Sting Ray

1966 Corvette Stingray - Machine Polish & Machine Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to just understand that I don't have the time/resources to fully maintain a totally swirl free black finish on my car.
    You just have to learn to be okay with with a certain level of defects and try your best to stop them from creeping in. I try to only buff/polish the car every few months, but it can be tough to hold back at times.

Beautiful cars, but this will likely be my first and last black vehicle. I wanted white, but none of my local dealerships had the Make/model/trim that I desired available.
    -Brent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Not a truer statement has been made!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What's even worse is a black work truck, . No matter what I try it gets scratched, someone doesn't throw the extension cords high enough and scratches the side of the bed as it slides over the paint, little stuff like this. But it sure looks good when cleaned up. Nice thing is regular people think it looks newer and nice. I will never get another black truck, but I plan on never getting rid of it. One day I'll repaint it, but it will still be black.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brentech View Post
    I've decided to just understand that I don't have the time/resources to fully maintain a totally swirl free black finish on my car.
    You just have to learn to be okay with with a certain level of defects and try your best to stop them from creeping in. I try to only buff/polish the car every few months, but it can be tough to hold back at times.

Beautiful cars, but this will likely be my first and last black vehicle. I wanted white, but none of my local dealerships had the Make/model/trim that I desired available.
    I'm sure we all remember the difficulties the car dealers were experiencing in this country in 2008. Well, a Dodge dealer had new '08 1500 Hemi SLT trucks for sale at half price; that would be around $17,800. I went down to the dealer and said I would like to have one in white or silver.

I was told that, at that price, I could have one in red, yellow, or black. I had a red car, once, and found out that if it's red, it might as well be black. I'm not a yellow car guy, so I chose black. After many bad experiences with "100% hand car washes" over the years, I have finally decided to do it on my own.

As you say, beautiful cars, but holy moly; try it on a full size, quad-cab pickup with a full canopy. I'm getting geared up and trying to learn as fast as I can, but Holy Moly!

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more about black being a full time job. After each black car, I always swear no more black. Yet, they keep finding their way into my driveway.

I'm hoping that after spending 10 hrs on our 335i, that with a monthly coat of wax and a new coat of WGDGPS 3.0 every 4-5 months, the paint will keep the clean shine without the major buffing.
    2003 Ford Lightning #3836
    2011 BMW 335i coupe

Post Thanks / Like

What makes black worse is living on a dirt road, oops! Any event, I'm looking forward to spring to polish out the swirl marks that exist. I've never used any abrasives on my car and only have used paint cleaners such as Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and have always kept up on the wax but it's time for a good spring cleaning. I figure no point in doing it now with the abuse of winter coming up but am going to use the Blackfire GEP to clean off the existing LSP's and then get some sealant on there for the winter and keep up on the waxing. Definitely is a bit of work, but worth it in the end!
    2008 Volkswagen GLI, Deep Black

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to this statement as a black car owner !!!! Last one I will ever own

Looks amazing when it's clean and nasty when it's not.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that even though black is hard to handle, it makes you look like a person who cares for their investment when it comes on nice ie hate people who like a black car looks nice after running it through a car wash
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast