autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New paint care - type of glaze to use

Wow, thanks so much Mike! Very helpful information, looks like I will be ordering some glaze on my next AG purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
    Megs #7 is a PIA to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It helps to know the correct technique for applying it, that plus years of practice make using it for me a breeze...

It's very oily and that's why some people find it a PIA as you say to work with. But it's the oils that work to make the paint look so good.
    Hi Mike...

-I've posted this Meg's #7 article of yours on AGO before...
    It may come in handy for the OP/93Mustang...
    And perhaps others as well. I know it has helped me!!

Hopefully, with your permission:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"As someone else pointed out, #7 is a high oil content product. In fact, it's mostly oil. I could tell you more about it, I have over 7 pages on just this product alone in my forthcoming book, How to Polish Paint. it's really quite a unique product.

For the last 15 years I have seen a lot people comment as to how hard the product is to get off.

Usually, (and I'm not saying this is what your did), the person makes a couple of mistakes.

#7 is a non-drying oil.

One of the many things it can be used for is to make paint look wet, thus the name… Show Car Glaze.

The reason it can do this is because it is a non-drying oil. Think about it, when you get a brand new paint job, or if you spray some rattle can paint… before it dries… it looks wet, because it is. It hasn't dried.

It's hard to get the "Wet Look" with something they dries, especially if it turns white/opaque.

You cannot make something "more clear" with something that is "opaque".

#26 Yellow Wax, (which is a polymer/synthetic for the most part), dries clear, it does not turn white. It turns the surface very dark and deep however.

So the mistake most people make when using the #7 is this.

1. They apply it to thick - this makes it extremely hard to remove
    2. They try to remove it like a wax.

Two tips.

First Tip - Apply #7 with a thin coat

Anybody's product when applied thick is hard to remove, just read the Zaino threads. Same thing applies to most of the Meguiar's waxes. A thick coat does nothing but waste product anyway, think about it. you wipe the excess off, i.e. the stuff sitting on top.

The idea is to "Push" the product into the pores of the paint, allow it to cure or dry, (if it's a drying product) then wipe off the material remaining on the surface. Sure some product remains on the surface, and there are a lot of opinions concerning "Layering", but suffice to say, there is a point of "Diminishing Returns".

If it were true you could create a "film-build" of product, that would mean that after enough coats, you would no longer be applying a coat of product onto paint, but in fact would be applying a coat of product onto a "film-build of product", (In other words, your layers of wax/polish/protectant/polymer/sealant/synthetic, or whatever word/term you want to use to describe your protective coating.

Kind of like trying to re-create a "Clear Coat". Last time I checked, nobody's product is clear, at least not like the clear resin a clear coat of paint is made from, (clear resin is often slightly amber in color)

So I don't know if I subscribe to the "Layering" theory. I am experimenting however, with multiple coats after coat of product on my black demo panel here in my office, so far, no "visible film-build". I do believe that two thin coats are better than one, and three coats wont' hurt. After that, I don't know. I would at least let some time go by.

So apply #7 thin. Use a soft foam applicator pad.

Second Tip - Removing #7 requires a special technique, not the same kind of technique you remove a wax with.

Most people remove their wax like this. Start in one area, begin wiping until all of the wax is removed in that area and then move on to virgin territory.

This will not work for #7. The "Act" of removing #7, tends to "Re-liquefy" the product, basically creating the smearing around effect that you experience when you apply it.

Instead, "Break" or "Disrupt" the "Continuous" layer of film-build and then move on to a virgin area and "Break this film-build up.

You see, #7 doesn't actually dry, but… it will "Skin", somewhat like homemade pudding.

This "Skin" is easier to break up and remove then the more liquid film is.

By breaking up the continuos film-build and then moving on, you are exposing a fresh layer of the film to the air where it will skin. The next time you come around, it will be easier to break up and remove.

So the idea is to apply a thin coat to the entire car.

Then, Go around the car two to three times, removing a little bit at a time.

A big soft, high quality, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel works best for the first two passes, and then switch over to a Microfiber polishing cloth for the last pass. Microfiber polishing cloths have an affinity for both water and oil based liquids and will remove oily residues much better with less fiber inflicted scratches.

Anyway, that’s what my experience has taught me after applying and removing gallons of #7 over the years, to every kind of car with every known type of paint.

Another person mentioned it will wash off. This is true. #7 is a "Body Shop" safe polish. It has no "Lasting Characteristics", i.e. it contains no ingredients that will affect "Paint Adhesion", typically waxes or silicones. (There are what are called, "Paintable Polymers", Meguiar's uses these in the "Speed Glaze", a body shop safe, cleaner/polish).

#7 is not meant to last. The idea is it will not semi-permanently "seal" or "Cap" the pores of the paint. (waxes, sealants, synthetics, polymers, whatever you prefer to call them act to semi-permanently seal or cap the pores of the paint. Nothing is permanent, at least not according to the theory of Entropy. This can lead into an entire discussion of "Permeable and Impermeable, but I digress).

This is important when used on solvent-borne paints because it allows the solvents to continue to work their way out of the paint resin through "capillary-action", (I think). The idea being that paint that is fully cured will be harder and last longer than paint that is not fully cured, i.e. softer and will not last as long.

How important this is to Catalyzed paints I do not know. The Synthetic wax crowd usually tells everyone it is safe to wax catalyzed paint shortly after they are sprayed. While this may be safe, I know that paint manufactures "Still" recommend waiting 30/60/90 days before you apply any type of "Sealant", i.e. wax to the surface. Best to follow manufactures recommendations when dealing with something as expensive a s new paint job, not to mention all of the work and inconvenience getting a car painted causes.

#7, in my opinion works better on single-stage finishes, either modern or traditional. For the wet-look, either Deep Crystal Polish, (very much like #7 but in Meguiar's Consumer line), is easier to apply and remove or #80 Hand Polish in the Meguiar's 80's series, (Body shop products, only comes in a quart).

I'm sorry you had a hard time applying and removing the product, perhaps if you try again, following my tips you will have better results.

By the way, as someone else commented, usually, #7 is applied first, then wax is applied over it. This is because the #7 is water soluble and the wax isn't', thus the wax will act to "Lock" or "Seal" in the #7.

However… right before a show… to make the paint look wet and to fill in hairline scratches, it is perfectly aright to apply the #7 on top of the wax, thus the name… Show Car Glaze.

It was never formulated to be a lasting product, but instead a Beauty product.

Now I know the Zaino crowd, including Sal, don't like using "oily" product on their paint for a host of reasons, I understand this fully and also agree they have a point.

With that said… if your goal is to make the paint it's darkest, deepest and wettest looking, then I submit your best bet is a product that is oily and doesn't dry. Yes, it might be temporary, but the show only last one to two days sometimes three.

The name is Show Car Glaze, not water beading, long lasting durable Miracle Wax.

You also might give the #26 a try for a dark, deep finish like you black corvette.

No it doesn't bead water as long as Zaino and many other waxes, the #26, Gold Class and even the Medallion were never formulated to "Bead Water".

If you want to see a wax that will bead water… try the Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in the Maroon bottle, make sure it says "New and Improved on the label.

Our chemist reformulated it to "Bead Water Like Crazy" because of consumer demand. Only costs $5.00 a bottle and works great for most people.

I'm sure they could do this for are other products but the idea, I think, was to make a wax that didn't bead water to avoid deep chemical etching that is caused when these tall beads dry on the finish.

Of course this doesn't matter to hard-core enthusiasts that dry their cars after washing.

That's all … hope this helps",

Mike Phillips
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, you asked about Blackfire, Detailer's Pride, or Wolfgang being better than each other.

While I won't comment on your question directly, I will say that all 3 and Pinnacle are all made by the same manufacturer.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Hi Mike...

-I've posted this Meg's #7 article of yours on AGO before...
    It may come in handy for the OP/93Mustang...

And perhaps others as well. I know it has helped me!!

Hopefully, with your permission:
    [COLOR=blue]

Bob

Permission granted but only with an incredible amount of embarrassment...

First, I wrote that article in a text program that did not have a spell check feature and was in a rush to type it up and post it in a short amount of time. I'm not sure Microsoft Word had been introduced at the time.[

It's from approximately 1994, possibly 1993 when I worked part time at Hewlett-Packard and I was posting to the Usenet Newsgroups in the rec.autos.misc group.

For anyone that wasn't on the "Internet" before 1996, here's a primer for you...

Discussion Forums - A relatively "new" invention...

Besides all the spelling mistakes and poor grammar, it's filled with alien code from each time the old Autopia.org databases were migrated over from one hosting company to another hosting company, they look like this and you'll see this type of thing on older threads on vBulletin forums that have been around for a long time, at least back to 2002 or so...

said…
    paint…
    dries…

The alien code is inserted instead of the original text where there were,

?
    '
    "

And it makes the text hard to read as it removes original meaning.

I started re-writing that article a few years ago and while I think I worked through most of it I never posted it.

I have a couple more projects I'm working on and they involve digging up my ancient computer to extract older articles from, and when I do this I'll snag the original with the time stamp and my e-mail signature from Hewlett-Packard as well as the updated version.

I also have some great information about #7 written by Bill Steward, my friend that owns the "Absorber" company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Permission granted but only with an incredible amount of embarrassment...

The alien code
    Sorry Mike...(I should have contacted you personally before posting...My Bad!!)

-Causing embarrassment was truly not my intention.

-I felt that the importance of the contents of your article
    far outweighed the presence of any alien-codes...

So...If you will, Good Sir...
    Please accept my apology.

Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've installed surface protection tape on my car to protect its paint. It protects from scratches, dust patches and prevent aging.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys EZ Cream Glaze, acrylic based, EZ on EZ off, no wait time.
    I use it almost every time I do a full wash, hides some defects on dark colors, smell good too, all for a great price.

When I use it on my black RAV4 it leaves it with an amazing shine, gives you that just wax look but without protection.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12