autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Cleaning, Compound or not ?

Would like to know what can I do for my windshield, it is filthy I tried regular glass cleaner but I still have some caked on dirt and some windshield wiper marks does not look like scratches.
    I have my PC and my GG 3inch orbital I do have the windshield white pads that are for use with the GG 3 Inch but need to know can I use
    M105 or Megs Ultimate compound
    I also have 3M Rubbing compound
    can I use these or if you guys have before will this work to clean up my Windshield ?

thank you

opie_7afe

Re: Windshield Cleaning, Compound or not ?

you can use any compound you wish if you get hazing switch to less aggressive pad or polish. will work great to clean it up, for me even helps lighten "wiper haze" of course thats depending on compound ect....give it a try. you can use any polisher you want 3" would give you more cut as its a smaller pad and can run at a higher OPM. just make slow passes slower then you would for paint. just dont overheat the glass (shouldn't happen with a DA) if you over heat the glass the plastic in the middle of the windshield melts and distorts windshield....a rotary is sort of better for glass polishing but if you're just starting out then a DA is fine...good luck and hope it works out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest DG 501 but you might want to wait to see Car Pro's CeraGlass polish. It looks promising. Corey's gonna do a review on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    you can use any compound you wish if you get hazing switch to less aggressive pad or polish. will work great to clean it up, for me even helps lighten "wiper haze" of course thats depending on compound ect....give it a try. you can use any polisher you want 3" would give you more cut as its a smaller pad and can run at a higher OPM. just make slow passes slower then you would for paint. just dont overheat the glass (shouldn't happen with a DA) if you over heat the glass the plastic in the middle of the windshield melts and distorts windshield....a rotary is sort of better for glass polishing but if you're just starting out then a DA is fine...good luck and hope it works out for you!
    Thanks for the advice opie will becareful

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I'd suggest DG 501 but you might want to wait to see Car Pro's CeraGlass polish. It looks promising. Corey's gonna do a review on it.
    sounds good when is it coming out Richy ?

Post Thanks / Like

I use m205/tangerine ht pad and got all the hard water spots out worked great I'm sure m105 will work too
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

m105 with a light cutting pad (orange LC or cyan HT) works very well to clean up glass, but obviously will NOT remove scratches. CeriGlass is looking promising for removing scratches, and should be in stock at AG very soon. You don't have to worry about distorting glass with a DA. However a rotary is a different story.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcg1 View Post
    I use m205/tangerine ht pad and got all the hard water spots out worked great I'm sure m105 will work too
    yeah it is pretty bad just been neglected will try the 105 first. Thanks Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    m105 with a light cutting pad (orange LC or cyan HT) works very well to clean up glass, but obviously will NOT remove scratches. CeriGlass is looking promising for removing scratches, and should be in stock at AG very soon. You don't have to worry about distorting glass with a DA. However a rotary is a different story.
    would like to try that product soon as its available I have the 5.5 LC pads Orange for the m105 and was thinking about the 205 after should give a nice smooth finish what do you think Dark Horse?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Blu View Post
    yeah it is pretty bad just been neglected will try the 105 first. Thanks Ryan

would like to try that product soon as its available I have the 5.5 LC pads Orange for the m105 and was thinking about the 205 after should give a nice smooth finish what do you think Dark Horse?
    Thanks
    I've cleaned up MANY windshields (NOT removing scratches) with m105, and never found a reason to have to follow with m205 or any other polish. Glass is VERY hard and I have found that it doesn't require multiple steps like paint does. I clean it with Stoners glass cleaner (or your favorite glass cleaner), clay it, polish it with m105, use IPA to remove all m105 residue, and seal it with either Aquapel, CQ, OC, or OG. This works VERY well!
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Glass is VERY hard and normal compounds and polishes will only clean and not induce additional defects.

Tad, (Dark Horse) has offered a nice solution and should improve your windshield quite a bit.

Washing

Start by giving it a thorough washing and cleaning to remove all soluble contaminates. Then mask off any trim to avoid damaging or staining it.

Clay

You clay the finish why not the glass?

Polish

Meguiar's M105 or any aggressive compound in this category on an orange or white foam pad will work well. Set the machine speed to 4 or so and go over the entire glass and you would correcting the paint.

Washing

Once you're satisfied wit the results wash the glass removing all the polishing residue then thoroughly clean with a good class cleaner and Microfiber waffle glass towel. Ensure that you've removed all the streaks and haze.

Protection

Your glass benefits from added protection similar to the paint. I've used Aquapel with outstanding results. Some of the new hard coatings work well here and will provide additional protection.

Glass Care

There are glass specific products that actually polish and remove fine imperfections in the glass.

Clean your car windshield and windows to a streak-free shine with a quality auto glass cleaner from Autogeek! Ammonia-free, no streaks, DP Krystal

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I general always following the manufactures recommendation on the bottle or can.

99% of the time I let it haze but applying at temperatures below 50 degrees really slows down the hazing and I've using it as a wipe-on / wipe-off wax.

I apply Collinite 845 using my Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a red pad, This allow me to get it super thin which makes buffing very easy hazed or not...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast