autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I Need Some Help With Black

Looking to get the black so wet and black it makes Crayon jealous. I'm talking about the deepest, blackest, wettest, swimming around in a black hole of oblivion black while drowning in water black. A black soooo black that black pales in comparison.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, any suggestions? I know most will say use a DA however I don't have one of those right now so all is done by hand. I DO have minor imperfections as well as a few scratches that will NEVER come out and I have some water etching. I know it will never be perfect again but, what can I get over the counter or here online and use in what order, to achieve close to my goal?

Currently I have clayed the car and started to use Megs Ultimate Polish. I have heard to use a glaze after this and then follow with a good wax. I have Pinnacle Sovereign here at the house, a good shady garage, a lot of fans, and nothing to do this weekend.

Thanks for any and all responses. Ill post a few reference pics. I do live in Texas and its 102 in the shade right now and always humid if that matters.

I have searched and read hours upon hours until my eyes feel like they are bleeding, and to be quite brutally honest, I am more confused than when I started. Just when I "think" product X is "the one" I read that product X is not the one that I should use product Y.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Need Some Help With Black

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ0603 View Post

I have searched and read hours upon hours until my eyes feel like they are bleeding, and to be quite brutally honest, I am more confused than when I started. Just when I "think" product X is "the one" I read that product X is not the one that I should use product Y.
    Welcome to the club! You will end up buying product X and Y.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

I should come right over and confiscate that Z06!..............and park it in the garage next to mine!!

I like the tiger shark front fascia!!

How much detailing experience do you have? The reason I ask is I'd like to avoud starting off with the basics and get down to the nitty gritty.

The black on your Z06 hides beneath and is protected by a hard clear coat. All those little defects you've pointed out look like they're in the clear, no in the base coat.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response, nice yellow Z BTW !!!

I have little to NO detailing experience. I can clay, I wash with 2 buckets, blow dry with a leaf blower then MF finish dry only in the shade. The only products that I normally use are #6 Meg cleaner wax, Ice car wash soap, and Sovereign.

I have tried the wipe in one direction, let dry for 6 hours and wipe off only to have to use the next 2 weeks trying to get all the crap and streaks off the car. ( that was from a auto detailer in my area that told me to do it that way ).

Post Thanks / Like

Try not to get hung up on product X and product Y. If it's sold on this site, there's a VERY good chance you'll get excellent results with whatever you choose. From what I've read on here, many people say that the clear coat on the Vettes are really hard, so working by hand may take a bit of time if you're looking to correct any of those scratches and/or swirls. You could probably step up to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound if the Ultimate Polish isn't "cutting" it. I'm sure a lot of people would have probably recommended Pinnacle Sovereign had you not stated you already had it on your shelf, so you more than likely don't need to purchase another LSP. In my opinion, to get that "black so deep you feel like you're in a cave" look, you're going to want to focus on removing the swirls and most of the scratches as that is where the haziness is coming from. A traditional glaze will fill those scratches, masking what you already know is there. Two layers of that Pinnacle should give it a nice glow once you're all done!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Y2KSVT. I plan ( sometime this summer ) to get a DA but for now I must go old fashioned. It took my father in law and I 4 years to get it looking good by hand trying this or that product. Each time was a lil better. It had no choice but to be outside for the last 6 months and all that work is shot to heck...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

You should use Opti-Coat 2.0 it will make your life so much easier. Especially on black cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ0603 View Post
    Thanks for the response, nice yellow Z BTW !!!

I have little to NO detailing experience. I can clay, I wash with 2 buckets, blow dry with a leaf blower then MF finish dry only in the shade. The only products that I normally use are #6 Meg cleaner wax, Ice car wash soap, and Sovereign.

I have tried the wipe in one direction, let dry for 6 hours and wipe off only to have to use the next 2 weeks trying to get all the crap and streaks off the car. ( that was from a auto detailer in my area that told me to do it that way ).
    OK, cool!

Were you trying to remove the swirls and surface defects by hand or with a machine such as s dual action polisher? I don't see it listed so I'm assuming not. My reason for asking it the C5 and C6 Corvettes have very hard clear coats and if you're only working by hand then this is one of the reasons you're struggling.

I've found that Menzerna products work wonders on my C5.

There "is" a wealth of information here. Take the time to read and familiarize yourself with some of the basics.

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you'll be amazed how much you'll be able to do. After reading and understanding some of the basics, the more hands on your are the quicker you'll build your knowledge and gain experience.

This link contains articles written by Mike Phillips and has allot of great reading within.

Articles by Mike Phillips

The is the general order or operation for detailing the vehicles exterior.

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Compound
    4. Polish
    5. Seal
    6. Wax

Try not to become overwhelmed with all the products as you'll only become more confused and at the same time broke if you try to buy them all. Pick one product that will satisfy each step above and begin but above everything else make detailing enjoyable.

Autogeek has a kit section that contains everything you need to get started. For starting off I recommend a dual action polisher. These come on a variety of flavors and Autogeek carries most of them so take your time and educate yourself.

The kit pages below will give you an idea of what's available but if you do decide to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 style polisher opt for the 5 1/2" flat pads right off. The 6 1'2" are just too large and this has been confirmed many time over.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-guide.html

Kit Page

Car Care Kits, Car Care Cleaning Kits, Complete Detailing Kits

Decent kit

Pinnacle Twins & Meguiar's G110v2 Dual Action Polisher Kit FREE BONUS

Much better kit

Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS

Flex Kit

If I were in the market for a kit this would be the one I'd choose.
    Pinnacle Flex XC3401 Polishing & Swirl Remover kit, Pinnacle polishes, swirl removers, finishing polish, flex buffer

Menzerna
    products

If I had to recommend a bundle that would satisfy 90% of your paint correction needs this would be it!

Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishes Combo, Nano Polish, Power Finish Polish, Power Gloss Compound

Don't overlook a one step products

One Step Product

Klasse

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Auto Polish, Klasse All In One, klasse aio, Acrylic polish

Menzerna Sealing Wax

Menzerna Sealing Wax APO 60, Menzerna APO 60, Menzerna wax

Meguiar's D151

Meguiars Paint Reconditioning Cream D151

Pinnacle XMT

Pinnacle XMT Clean & Shine Bundle

Forum Favorite

Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit.

Sealants

Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

Other quality sealants

• Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
    • DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant

Wax

Collinite 845

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax

Pinnacle Signature Series ll

Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax will give you a deep, wet finish will exceed your expectations. car wax, carnauba paste wax, pinnacle

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, that is a well thought out and informative post. Thankyou! I will do more reading and work towards purchasing some more products so I can cover the steps. I will be getting a DA sometime this summer but for now its all by hand. Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie such as myself and hopefully any one else reading this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black car as well and I find that black fire wet diamond sealant makes black look soooo good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast